making a film while on psychedelics??

whats your opinion on this ???

making "trippy" out there short films on delics to really get the true effects??

dumb ??? or great way to capture whats really going on in the mind of someone under the influence?

The thing you have to understand is that a making film is a very complicated task. Your crew and cast is a machine, and like most other machines, should not be operated by someone under the influence. By being on mind-altering substances, the result is usually that you will have distracted your focus and the quality of your film will go down, you won't make your point and it'll just be "some asshole films himself high again"...

I actually told some of my actors on my latest feature that even though there's a lot of references to drugs (marijuana and psilocybin particularly) in the movie, I wanted everyone sober when we were shooting, so not to get any ideas, LOL. Particularly the actors. When you're high on marijuana, there are two emotions you can experience well- Shock/Awe and Fascinated/Happy. When you're sober, you can experience and tap into the full range of emotions and still stay focused technically. If you film an actor high when he's playing a character that is high, internally he'll probably be in a good creative zone, but will most likely forget lines, play it monotone, dull, and not be able to portray his internal emotions physically. But that same actor could have just, you know, ACTED high, and with more of a fine-tuned thought process you'd get a more interesting performance, a better shoot ratio and a less frustrated boom guy, AD, etc.

I think mind altering substances are interesting creative catalysts for writers- most of the renowned novelists of history and our time wrote their greatest work while under the influence of something, whether it be opium, psychedelics, buckets of ale, boxed wine or cat piss. I bet Shakespeare was sniffing horse shoe glue when he wrote Titus. The point is, they had the chance to sober up, come back to their work the next day and edit their insanity, enhancing the coherence and quality of their work. You can't do that on a film set!

So my point would be (and for legal purposes I am not suggesting you do this, but) if you want to experiment with psychedelics in a film, do the psychedelics to inspire you (like a method actor such as Nick Nolte would) and bring the MEMORY of that experience into your sober, thought-out, planned re-enactment for your video.

As I understand it things made under the influence of drugs seem really good at the time. However when you look at it when your not high, you soon realise it's actually really bad. Drugs aiding creativity is a myth.

As people have allready said filmmaking is complicated and requires a lot of organisation. I dobt a stoned idiot is going to be much help on a production.

thanks for the input!!! i disagree that someone is a stoned idiot if they decide to indulge in some sort of substance...hell look at Quentin Tarantino films haha???

buut just looking for opinions.....its not a high budget film or anything. we plan on making it so people can see the world in a diff point of view,,

thanks for the input!!! i disagree that someone is a stoned idiot if they decide to indulge in some sort of substance...hell look at Quentin Tarantino films haha???

buut just looking for opinions.....its not a high budget film or anything. we plan on making it so people can see the world in a diff point of view,,

Yeah, good luck with that.

I'm high right now!:crazy:

But, I'm not making a movie:director:

You should not mixed the two. Unless, you're just making it for you and your friends. If that's the case, then shroom it up!!

totally not trying to make it for anything other than friends and family and just experimenting with other parts of the brain and seeing what comes out of it...

I mean do you not think a lot of the big time film makers are on something???? not trying to start an argument, but i mean....i know a lot are on coke atleast haha. and im sure lsd and shit...

I heard walt disney was one mescaline for most of his films....look at Fantasia....??

Last edited:
Maybe when writing a movie about being under the influence, but I
can’t imagine how it would be of any help at all to show what’s
really going on in the mind of someone under the influence while
shooting. If you are “tripping” and you point the camera at that
wall that’s pulsing and changing colors, the camera will not pick
up what your drug influenced mind is seeing. You will have a
shaky shot of a wall. If you are on the drugs and you shoot your
friends on the drugs I suspect all you will see is stoned people
tripping. And not actually get inside their heads. I’m pretty
sure at the time you think it’s quite brilliant and amazing, but
looking at the footage later I think it will be shaky shots of
stoned people who think they are quite brilliant and amazing.

You are making very bizarre and unsubstantiated claims that
because “Fantasia” seems trippy to you, the producer (not the
writers, directors or animators - but the producer) was on
mescaline and a lot of “big time film makers” are using coke and
LSD. But if you need to believe that in order to prove your point
I guess it works for you.

I might be your perfect audience. I’ve never taken psychedelics.
If you want to show me the world in a “diff point of view” but
using then while you shoot, I’ll watch the movie.

So I’m with WeightOnWheels. If you can make a good movie that
shows people the world “in a diff point of view” while being on
psychedelics then go for it!

When do you shoot this movie?

I was actually thinking of something similar this morning on the way to work. People who video themselves while on hallucinogens.

My take on it is that the one thing you should never film is a religious experience. It will only do an injustice to what you are doing.

I didn't read most of these comments b/c the first thing I saw was some ignorance about what you are referring to.

He is right, but obviously ignorant.

Just for the record, I develop tactical comm systems for the gov and make six figures, so go ahead and judge me all you want.

I don't care.

I've often thought about writing a screenplay after smoking some weed, or something, but I've opted against it when I found out my ideas suck when I'm high/ drunk.

However, one thing I've thought about doing was instrumenting a sleep deprivation experiment where I'd stay awake for two or three days straight and write a screenplay under the influence of insomnia. Kind of hard when I got a day job though.

I will judge you fact that you said "develop tactical comm systems for the gov and make six figures"

1) I find it hard to believe that someone who does that would be in a place like this.
2) That's just real classy.

Also love that you say one is right but ignorant. seems pretty ironic to me.
---

Back to the OP. I fail to see why you would even ask us this in the first place since it's just going to be for your friends? And I'm not being a dick, what were you thinking we were going to say?

It sounds like you want to experiment with your mind. I am assuming you are in high school or college? I say so because in the 80's my cousin and I used to do that-have a few drinks and make a video movie. Most of them are quite funny - we overdid the makeup and dress and put on some bizzare shows that to this day only a few are allowed to see. The craziest thing we did was make a movie using barbie dolls...nothing gross...just weird.
But I was 18-22 then.
Now? No way. I have a creative enough mind.

For you - I wouldn't do it. One, I know you are pointing out QT but you are not him so why try to be him? (To be honest - I didn't know he was high making movies if that is what you are implying). Why don't you try to come up with something so out of town that everything will think you were taking mass doses of something? That would really be digging into your creative self. Don't use drugs for special effects - I am sure you are quite talented without them and why take chances on your health?

Quentin Tarantino is just generally an eccentric person, you just have to see interviews of him to know that. A lot of what's good about Tarantino's films is how he can make the boring become interesting. A prime example is in Pulp Fiction where the two hitmen vincent and Joules hold off killing to talk about mundane topics like european burgers. He's very good at writing believable naturally flowing dialogue.
Somehow I dobt he'd be able to do it under the influence of drugs.

Watch Terry Gilliam's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. After that film I expect you'll think very differently about drugs helping creativity. In the film all creativity gets abandoned and drugs get in the way, which is pretty much how it would be in reality.

Back