Making a Cable/TV Pilot

Greetings, All-

I'd been writing screenplays for over 12 years (none made), until I wrote and directed a short film, "Hollywood Hill," this last year. During the making of that film I met another writer who has written a script for a 1/2 hour, pilot Cable/TV episode. While I'm reasonably new to filmmaking, I'm excited about the project, he already has some funding, and he asked me to direct. We plan to shoot in spring, 2011.

Anyone here tackled this one? The jump from short film to feature seems straight-forward compared to making a pilot Cable/TV episode. Should I consider marketing heavily before locking the script or even turning the camera on? There seem to be few film festivals that cater to this one. And I'm wondering if this market is "locked" to seasoned pros.

Rambling a bit here, but wanted to know if any of you had experience in this area of filmmaking.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice you might have!

he already has some funding, and he asked me to direct. We plan to shoot in spring, 2011.

Anyone here tackled this one? The jump from short film to feature seems straight-forward compared to making a pilot Cable/TV episode. Should I consider marketing heavily before locking the script or even turning the camera on?

What else is happening in this situation?

There's more than just being hired as a director, with the other questions posed.

Whoops! Forgot to mention that I'm also one of the producers and will help in re-writes, and so the questions I posed have come up...

We're all relatively new to filmmaking, and looking for advice/cautions from the forum on making the pilot, from writing through post-production, marketing. (Maybe my own answer is we're too green too attempt this, but we're ambitious. Maybe too big a subject, too many questions for one post?...)

Thanks, Zensteve.

Network television and cable TV are more “locked” than movies.
It’s almost unheard of for a unknown, unconnected, inexperienced
team to break in.

Of course you can make a 30 minute project and call it a pilot
episode but if you don’t have everything else needed for a series
then it’s really just a 30 minute project.

Thanks, Directorik.

Yeah, that's kind of what I've been thinking on how hard it is to break in.

I think we'll be gung-ho for it anyway as a short film, other than planning the commercial breaks, etc. --Yikes, that brings up that issue. I wonder if the difference in structures won't screw us up in scheduling and other areas...

A 30 minute short film should be different than a pilot episode.

You will need to know the acceptable length and where the
breaks will come in. This is one of the reasons it's so difficult
for an outsider to break in to TV. Of course if it's for pay cable
with no commercials...

Are you prepared to create a TV series? Do you have everything
you will need when pitching?

Back