Magic Bullet crashing Vegas Pro 9

Uranium City

Pro Member
indiePRO
Anyone here experience this?

I've seen a whole bunch of answers that aren't working for me.

I'll add Magic Bullet to the effects chain of a clip and when I go to edit the settings it'll either say "Can't find a usable frame to open the editing window" or it will start to open, hang up, and crash, subsequently crashing Vegas in the process.

Intermittent, too, but happening a lot lately.

Is this the old 32-bit version of MB? The current release only supports Vegas Pro 11+

And if it *is* the old one, yeah - it was pretty unstable (I use it from time-to-time with Vegas 10).

Two bits of advice:

1) Split your edit into individual scenes for MB and do your grading *absolutely last* so all you need to do is render out and re-assemble - the less footage you're working with, the happier MB will be.

2) If you're running 32-bit Vegas on a machine that has 4GB+ RAM, use NTCore's 4GB Patch on Vegas Pro 32-bit - gives it a little extra room to work.

Thanks. Yeah, it seemed to work on test projects where I only had one short clip in the editor but now that I have the workings of an entire short, it crashes every time. Might have to render each scene or just grade conventionally with the on-board Sony tools. Dang! I was looking forward to wringing out MB.

It's twitchy but you can get the job done if you don't push it too hard - I'm tinkering with the grading for my feature in Vegas 10 x32/MBL and so long as I'm not loading up 30mins+ of footage in one go it works... just :D

Safest way might be to render out individual scenes in Sony 10-bit YUV and split them into shots in Vegas. Hassle, but MBL does do a lovely job.

Last edited:
I used to have the same problem but in Premiere.

I graded each clip individually, shut down any other programs running and disconnected from the internet. Not sure which or if all of them contributed to it working but it did. Haven't used it in years so I dont even know if we're talking about the same version. Or is there only one?

PS

Remember those images barbershop images? A second one opened up here, lol! Ironic, considering the subject matter of the short, isn't it? I need to move...

Last edited:
I found out through trial and error Vegas tries to do too much. Vegas Pro crashed and froze a lot when I used it as both an editing program and a compositing and special effects program. When I just used Vegas as a compositing and special effects program and did the editing with Adobe Premiere, things ran a lot smoother.

You may be having memory management issues using it with Magic Bullet, causing it to crash.

Back