Lucas vows to butcher SW... again

Yadda yadda yadda NY Times, etc.

George... stop. Just stop it. For God's sake, just make your mind up on what you want your movies to be. :rolleyes:

March 20, 2005

Filmmakers Hawk New 3 - D Technology

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 10:53 p.m. ET

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- After a brief incarnation in the early 1950s and a short-lived revival in the 1980s, 3-D movies are now getting serious consideration among filmmakers who want to send images leaping off the movie screen and into the audience.

``Star Wars'' creator George Lucas and ``Titanic'' director James Cameron were among those promoting a new digital alteration that converts two-dimensional movies into 3-D.

Theatergoers still have to wear those familiar cardboard glasses with red-and-blue cellophane, although backers of the new technology say it doesn't cause the eyestrain common with past 3-D efforts.

Lucas said he hopes eventually to release all six of his ``Star Wars'' movies in 3-D format that can be shown in regular moviehouses, not specialty theaters such as IMAX.

``It looks better than the original, to be honest with you,'' Lucas told theater owners Thursday at their annual ShoWest convention.

Developed by In-Three Inc. of Agoura Hills, Calif., the new technology involves converting a movie into two slightly offset images, one for each eye. The special glasses trick the brain into perceiving the picture as a single image.

Unlike some 3-D systems that require two side-by-side film projectors, In-Three's system operates with a single digital projector, the filmmakers said.

A snippet of ``Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones'' converted to 3-D was screened, and the images showed remarkable depth in a scene where Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi pursue an assassin in a flying vehicle.

While the filmmakers all have an interest in releasing old movies in 3-D and shooting new ones in the format, they also tried to sell theater owners on digital systems to replace film-reel projectors that have been the standard for a century.

The digital projectors can be inexpensively modified to handle 3-D, they said.

``I can't shoot in a lesser format,'' said Cameron, who is filming the science-fiction adventure ``Battle Angel,'' in 3-D. ``I believe that 3-D is absolutely the future. ... They'll have to pry my glasses out of my cold, dead fingers.''

I think the best thing for him to do would be to make a completely different sci-fi movie...that way he can start from scratch and make the best sci fi movie he wants without messing with Star Wars...

That would require an original thought (again).

I haven't seen episode 2 and I won't be looking forward to 3 either. Saw 1 because we had to in a class. I lost faith in him when I saw jabba's tail get stepped on.

Stop fucking with my childhood George!

I like the idea of Star Wars in 3D. Apparently, they've already done the first seven minutes of A New Hope and it looked fantastic!

The thing is, it's his movie...it is not...I repeat...IT IS NOT up to us what he does with it. It's funny to me that the same thing all the fanboys were cheering him for ten years ago - the fact that he retained the rights to his movies - is now the thing all the fan boys are crapping on him for. And don't give me the "it is part of my childhood" line. So were pimples and sexual frustration, would any of us mind that stuff being digitally fixed?

And if you let the little things like Jabba's tail or Greedo being shot first bother you so much you are missing out on all the enjoyment of seeing the story fully told.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Poke

Last edited:
Poke is right. The movie is his to do with as he pleases. Having said that I have a hard time watching 3D movies. So I won't be going to enjoy the new treatment.

I agree with Poke in that Lucas can, and should be able to, do whatever he wants with HIS movies...I just think he doesn't always make the same decisions I would...

...you will never hear me say he's ruining my childhood, ruining our culture, or that he shouldn't be allowed to do what he does...it just would seem wiser for him to start a new franchise. That would probably make the most people happy...including himself...my two cents.

...I actually liked Episode II (didn't care for Ep. I) and am looking forward to the new film.

It's only a matter of time until he decides to scrap the live-action versions of the movies and remake them with computer-animated characters.

Lucas is intent on completely eliminating private ownership and even film distribution of the products though. He want's theatres to run satelite transmitted feeds from his secure server to make sure no one is undercutting his take. He claims its to prevent piracy in the eastern countries, but it's probably more like an accounting method to keep theatre owners honest on how many times they run the films, and thus his percentage of the pie stays higher (theoretically).

There is no one here who's made a film that didn't want to change something about it a couple months after it was finished, or a couple years down the road. These films were great because of how they were made in the era's they were made in. The DI "fixes" Lucas adds, are glaring when you watch them from a historical perspective. If he wants to release a new cut, that's really his business. But not letting me have access to the version I liked (and saw on the big screen directly off the print) is a problem from my perspective.

I don't get the same enjoyment from the stories when I watch the molested "new and improved" versions.

I'd also question your proficiency in filmmaking if you could blank out all the technical thought patters going on when you watch a film the second time - I already know the story at that point. After that, I look at how it was made.

Anamorphic said:
I'd also question your proficiency in filmmaking if you could blank out all the technical thought patters going on when you watch a film the second time - I already know the story at that point. After that, I look at how it was made.

So anyone who doesn't agree with your take on it is a bad filmmaker? You know, one could turn that around on you and say that filmmakers usually see the technical side from the initial viewing.
angry42.gif

Look, this is something we've discussed a great deal here (Lucas vs. the orginal theatrical versions of SW). And I agree, the original versions should be available. But they are not. And it's Lucas's right to not have them available (he's well within his legal rights to do all the things he's doing). I am of the opinion that if you let that bother you so much that will not view the Special Editions and the new Trilogy then you are only robbing yourself, Lucas will get his money.

Poke

I'm still aware of the techniques with the initial viewing, but I do my best to put them aside and watch the story. Since as it was said, it is about the story...

I'm not losing any sleep over any of this. Lucas can do whatever he wants, I'm not standing outside ILM with a picket sign, nor will I ever. So getting on me about having an opinion is pretty pointless as well.

I don't think we are asking the right question...

I believe it's not whether or not he could butcher/enhance/whatever the original trilogy,
it's whether or not he should!

I remember Lucas quoting another filmmaker (whose name escapes me) he said "A film is never completed, it's only abandoned."

Well George, maybe who should leave well enough alone.

Perfection is one of those things that is constantly sitting on the horizon, no matter how close you get it's still sitting their on the horizon.

The lesson I have learnt from all this is not to dwell on old 'abandoned' projects, and look forward to the process of creating new and exciting projects.

My two cents.

Jonathan said:
I believe it's not whether or not he could butcher/enhance/whatever the original trilogy,
it's whether or not he should!

I'm sorry, but isn't that what people were saying, that he shouldn't be messing with the originals. And I was saying that he has the right to no matter whether we think he should or not.

Poke

I don't care if he restores it, or makes crappy prequels... the original Star Wars will always be in my memory as a work of genius... no matter how kooky he gets these days.
And I'm looking forward to 3... if it ties the knots like it looks like it will, it will make 1 & 2 forgivable.
Wait until they're all out on dvd, watch them all at once and then we'll have a good go..

And as far as restoring... I don't like it, but I guess it allows the movies to be watched all at once and not seem as backwards when the 2nd trilogy starts. I guess it's a good move. We'll find out.

-Logan-

Why does everyone lump Attack of the Clones in with The Phantom Menace? I understand not liking Ep. 1, but what was so bad about Ep 2? The last 45 minutes of that movie are pure geeked out adrenaline.

Poke

One Thing That Will Bother Me.

Ok, so Lucas' whole thing is this....he wants a viewer to watch Episode 1 through 6 and have a seemless experience. That's the main(artistic) reason for the Special Editions of the Original Trilogy. But one thing that bothers me about that is this....why is everything in Ep 1 thru 3 so advanced looking vs. Ep. 4 to 6...yeah, there have been MAJOR leaps in SpecialFX, but did they have to go so far as to put more advanced looking controls in the ships? They didn't have to do that, but they did. It's like no one at ILM thought "you know what we should do? We should look at the ship controls in the Ep 4 to 6 and reverse engineer them, to make them look less advanced since this is a prequel." If they could have duplicated the same look as Ep 4 to 6, but used today's modern technology of SFX, that would have been an awesome look.

And where are all the cool, high tech, looking ships that where in Ep 1 -3? Why aren't they in Ep 4-6? I mean, it's 2005 and I still see cars from the 70s and 80s. They don't just dissappear. And all the Trade Federation Battle Droids? Did they ALL get destroyed with no trace?(I haven't see the new, new SE, so I don't know if they added traces of them in the backgroud. Did they?)

So really, Lucas is far from done. He has to be in order to attain his seemless experience. If he's going to do it, he should at least do it right (God, did I just say that?). He should go back to the original trilogy and add ALL the missing high tech gadgets that were in Ep1-3. Ships, dashboards, aliens, everything. I really hate that Ep1-3 looks more advanced than Ep4-6. I guess you could say the Empire oppressed the galaxy so much that technology reverted, but that's a strech to happen over 1 generation..................................wow....I'm a nerd.

Last edited:
Why does everyone lump Attack of the Clones in with The Phantom Menace? I understand not liking Ep. 1, but what was so bad about Ep 2? The last 45 minutes of that movie are pure geeked out adrenaline.

I enjoyed Ep2 when I saw it in the theater the only complaint I had was the bad, really bad, dialogue. Specifically the love scenes. However on rewatching the original trilogy, many times since DVD, I have discovered that the dialogue is just as bad. I still love 'em though.

I have to agree that Lucas is free to do as he wishes, they are his films. I would, however, like to have the opportunity to veiw the original theatrical film. And who knows, maybe in twenty two years, once Lucas has run out of ways to tweak his films, he will release the 50th aniversary super duper special directors cut, in which he will include all six versions of the film.

Well he might.

My only problem with Ep2--- Yoda with a lightsabre. And dialogue.. the first lines in the movie put me off. Other than that I liked it a lot. Much better than 1... Loved the Anakin going mental on the Tuskan Raiders.

And as for the technology- there is a huge war, and a new government. Stormtroopers replace battle droids, tie fighters replace the other craft. Technology that was the the Republic's backbone becomes lost, as do the Jedi. Look at how the first two movies embrace science and technology. In the OT, it was all mythological and natural. Perhaps the Empire outlaws and controls science and technology, leaving the good guys with only mysticsm and nature? It would make sense for the Empire to restrict technology if they wanted to keep control. They outlaw Jedi, why not control everything else?
Let's wait until 3 people. We'll see then. I have a good feeling Lucas will prove to be a good guy after all.

But what I really want to know is, when is the 3D version of "Shakes The Clown" coming out! Or "Animal House" in "Sense-Around"?

I figure it this way... They know we all are hot on their tails making high quality films so they have to come up with something to set themselves apart from talented indie filmmakers!

Bottom line is... It don't take alot of money to make a great film anymore!
We're proving that!

Just long as they don't mess with Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!
That's all!

-HAWKEYE

I think they're also making a 3D version of Star Trek 5, where you can actually SEE the "suck" come out and destroy the part of your brain that controls your wallet.

Back