Low Priced Quality Shotgun Mic?

Recently I was searching for a low priced shotugun for my PV-GS70, this is a very small camera so I need a very small mic. I was looking at the AZDEN ECZ-990. This mic is about the same size of the camera.

I like the specifications on this one, but one thing are the specs and the other is how it really responds to sound. I don't expect it to be a super pro mic for the price, but at least I will like to behave as described.

I own the Sony ECM-HGZ1, but in my opinion, it sounds like if the low and high frequecies are supressed and there is 3dB boost of the middle freqs in other words, it sounds like a can phone. I don't know if that sound is normal in this type of mics or what. This is my first time with external mics, and I have no reference.

I know there is a relationship between price and sound quality, but I will like to find "the happy medium point", good audio pickup at an affordable price.

I am open to any suggestion. Alcove, your expertise will be appreciated.

Thanks

Avoid the Azden, it's a piece of junk.

My suggestions:

Rode NTG-2

Audio-Technica AT897

They can use a battery to supply their own phantom power and sound pretty good for the price.

Please do a search - this has been discussed many times - and read my blog.

Thank you Alcove Audio for the information. I avoided the Azden and took a look ath the Rode and Audio Technica shotguns. The truth is that both are out of my budget. So keeping in mind those brands I found the Rode Video Mic and the Audio Technica ATR-6550 and ATR-6250. I need other upgrades for the camera so end up with the ATR-6550. I know the difference between the Rode and The Autio Technica is noticiable, in terms of numbers, but I read several reviews and both have good reputation. The fact that I selected the 6550 intead of the 6250 despite it is longer than the camera, is that the first one is mono. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I prefer to record a conversation with a mono mic rather than using a stereo that may pick up unwanted side noise.

By the way this equipment is for personal/home use and is not intended for professional recordings. My intentions are to experiment and learn. I plan to upgrade in the near future, when I have more experience in the field.

Yet another dastardy thread bump by the masked bumper.....(get your MIND out of the gutter please....)

*ahem*

Okay, so I'm looking to rerecord sound for my short "Delivery Day". For those who haven't seen it, watch it ;) Also, here's the situation-the story has no music or dialogue-just ambient sounds(and noxious "burbling"- I unfortunately recorded with the camera mic, and it's only a Canon 930 camcorder)

What type of external mic can I get that is a) Affordable(If I can keep it below 100 bucks all the better) and works well for recording ambvient sounds?

I want a shotgun mic, but don't have the 200 bucks to buy one new-any more affordable types/alternatives? All I mainly want is to get across decent sound and not have the "burbling"-I'll be cutting my audio track and redoing the sound.

Ideas?

sonnyboo
funny you should mention that mic.. i picked one up for $20 on my local Cragislist. I got home and it didn't work :( An hours work with a soldering iron last night brought it back from the grave..

Now I seem to be audio gear HEAVY.. funny how that happens ;)

T: make sure with that at55 that you avoid things that cause RF interference, florescent lighting, electric motors (refrigerators, ceiling fans...). Since it isn't XLR, the cable becomes a giant antenna for local RF interference. I own one and captured great audio with it until I switched to florescent lighting - then it became the bane of my audio world, forcing an upgrade to a better microphone, probably for the best in the long run.

I've never heard it, but:

Golden Age FC-4 Small Diaphram Condenser Microphone

It says it's 59$. Might be worth it just to check it out. I can't tell from any website if it's XLR or not but check it out. Might be good for the price.

Cheap mics aren't my forte - I apologize.

Tinalera: I'm not familiar with all the mic models suggested here, but when you do buy your equipment, keep in mind XLR related expenses...

i.e. if you get a mic that is XLR and your camera doesn't have XLR outputs you'll need to save enough to get adapters or what have you. :)

Tinalera: I'm not familiar with all the mic models suggested here, but when you do buy your equipment, keep in mind XLR related expenses...

i.e. if you get a mic that is XLR and your camera doesn't have XLR outputs you'll need to save enough to get adapters or what have you. :)

Fine time for my brain to kick out lol-trying to remember XLR. I have a Canon 930. It has a phono-plug type port for external Mic. I don't know if that's an XLR or not, but thanks for the heads up, I'll remember that when getting the mic.

ROC- Thanks for the reminder about running cables next to power cables. I remember that "Hum" quite well in School :rolleyes:. Don't worry about cheap sound not being your forte :) Expensive sound isn't mine:lol: I'll check out the mic you suggested.

The lighting where I'm shooting will be daylight bulbs. The only other lighting in the apartment are those funky energy saving bulbs which cost like 10 bucks a piece:lol: No Flourecents here fortunately.

Knightly-thanks for heads up if I do get a non XLR. There is a fridge I have, I suppose my computer too, it has a fan which could cause interference.

Thanks for all the info so far, I appreciate it!

Back