Low-budget movies that hit it big.

Man this thread sucks. Someone tries to motivate and inspire people with a nice story and APE comes in and poops on everyone's party. Typical really.

Man this thread sucks. Someone tries to motivate and inspire people with a nice story and APE comes in and poops on everyone's party. Typical really.

Very well said Metal Renard. Right now I'm wondering why the hell people start arguments over stuff like this. Read the list, then like it or don't like it. Despite the fact a few good films are missing, I think it is well chosen and written list.

I enjoy reading stories of low budget movies that hit big. Would I love to film something that hits that lottery, sure I would! Really though, for me its inspirational. But on my level, I have goals. Those goals are to film something that will push me to the next level.

I shoot something low or no budget, hope that it will attract like minded people to help work on future projects. With a better team around me, I hope to be able to shoot something that will get into mid grade festival. Which I hope will attract people who have access to money, and are interested in the raw talent, they might see, enough to help produce bigger and better projects.

I have a friend, who filmed a low budget film. That project alone was enough to secure financing to shoot his next project. He went from a self produced/financed project, to getting 100k for his next project. With that budget he was able to hire a couple named "C" level stars and better lead crew members.

So while APE has his points, and the dreamers do as well, its always good to dream, and have goals to help make those dreams come true.

Wow. While I don't agree with some of the sentiments here, G had a realistic point: "articles" like the one originally linked that imply $7K produced a movie that grossed $2MM (GROSSed only, not even profit) are bullshit.

But NO-ONE can refute that $7K did what was needed to get that same movie FINISHed that grossed $2MM.

There's nothing lost to being "pooped" on, nor is it anything but lies to say $7K out of one filmmakers pocket didn't end up getting a film with a theatrical release that grossed $2MM (and I don't actually think anyone is saying this).

Even that page rayw linked to continues to feed the same lies about "budget", but at least they do it both ways. Most of the movies didn't seem to factor in any P&A at all, let alone actual post-production costs.

Imma just given these folk a nod and shut up and keep doing what I'm doing to get where Imma going to go.

CraigL

I enjoy reading stories of low budget movies that hit big. Would I love to film something that hits that lottery, sure I would! Really though, for me its inspirational. But on my level, I have goals. Those goals are to film something that will push me to the next level.

You got it, Jeff. People get inspired by the most unexpected things, and I'm no different. The trick, of course, is to be inspired and yet know how difficult the ultimate goal is. And encouragement from friends is often helpful.

What APE fails to realize is the numbers mean what the filmmaker spent on the movie.:

"El Mariachi.... The US$7,000 production was originally intended for the Mexican home video market, but executives at Columbia Pictures liked the film so much that they bought the American distribution rights. Columbia eventually spent several times more than the 16 mm film's original budget on 35 mm transfers, promotion, marketing and distribution."

And the story repeats itself with Paranormal Activity, Blair Witch, Clerks....

I guarantee nobody who read this thought that anybody who makes a low budget film will have a huge chance at hitting the big leagues. But the thought has entered their minds that if they make the best movie ever made, with the intent on selling it realistically, (VOD, Internet Distribution, Film Festivals) there is a chance that a company, such as Fox Searchlight will find it, improve it, market it, and sell it to a wider audience, for bigger profit and a contract deal to produce 2 or 3 bad sequels, a spinoff TV series, and overseeing the child labor in foreign factories that make movie merchandise.

APE, I for one, do appreciate your perspective. I'm also glad you put it out on the thread, despite the fact that so many of us take umbrage at your efforts to merely guide our brains in the right direction. I want you to know, you should keep doing it :)

I wrote much more below, and then thought I should start a new thread instead. Please feel free to comment on that thread. http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=49122

Ray: Those are some nice figures. Any chance we could find out how the "worldwide" numbers break down by countries?? I'm sure you could find out if you tried. You're a goddamn genius at this.

Last edited:
APE, it seems like you're projecting your own reservations about not taking the leap yourself.

To me, it's simple. If you have the money to make a microbudget feature film, go for it. Why overthink it? Your chances are zero if you don't try at all. The line between hope and delusion is a thin one but what you seem to reveal is your cynicism, which has nothing to do with whether one can actually make a great film or not.

You can argue all you want about so-called delusion, but being jaded into inaction is far less likely to lead to anything productive.

Never knew some of the movies on the list were made with such a tiny budget, especially paranormal activity. I'd be interesting to see how some of these films got distribution.

What APE fails to realize is the numbers mean what the filmmaker spent on the movie.

NO!! That's pretty much my whole point in posting to this thread. Many of the films mentioned in the article listed the actual budget to make the film, others, all the tiny budget ones, just listed what the filmmaker spent. This makes any kind of budget comparison worthless. It could be that some of the 6 figure budget films listed in the article actually had smaller budgets than some of the films listed with a budget of just a few thousand!

A film's budget is what it cost to make, if you are going to say that a film's budget is what the filmmakers spent then the budget for Avatar was $14m (the amount Cameron reputedly spent). Many films could be listed as having zero budget or just a few hundred, even though they cost many millions to make, because it may not have cost the filmmakers anything at all except for a bit of loose change setting up and attending all the various funding meetings.

APE, it seems like you're projecting your own reservations about not taking the leap yourself.

It only seems that way to you because of how you have chosen to interpret what I written. I can pretty much guarantee that I've taken far bigger and more risky leaps in my filmmaking career than you have!

To me, it's simple. If you have the money to make a microbudget feature film, go for it. Why overthink it? Your chances are zero if you don't try at all. The line between hope and delusion is a thin one but what you seem to reveal is your cynicism, which has nothing to do with whether one can actually make a great film or not.

I am not revealing any cynicism, I'm just stating proven facts. And, while a film's prospects can be harmed by over-thinking, in my experience under-thinking causes way more failures!

...being jaded into inaction is far less likely to lead to anything productive.

That's absolutely what I'm saying. Just making a film, while taking little or no action beyond just hoping or dreaming is indeed "far less likely to result in anything productive". Have you even tried to read or understand what I've written in this thread or are you just having a rant because you only want to succeed on your terms, IE. Being an extreme filmmaking exception?

G

Last edited:
Then stop reading the threads like this. G's contributions to this forum are invaluable, he's particular about his points and posts exclusively to explain them.

Simply posting nonsense to say you didn't like it contributes nothing other than increasing your post count. Wait, what did I just do?

CraigL

Last edited:
No, I'm pretty sure APE is quite successful in the industry

I've IMDB'd him. He's definitely legit, one of a small handful of the most experienced people on this forum.

And I agree with CraigL. APE may not always understand the perspective of a tiny-budget producer, but he is often VERY helpful, and a tremendous source of incredibly valuable information. We definitely don't need to demonize him. A troll he is NOT.

As for the actual convo in this thread, I'm often inspired by the LATEST tiny-budget success. I think Tiny Furniture is one we can look to for inspiration. Besides a successful theatrical run, it launched careers, including a popular HBO show. That's awesome! The dream is not impossible!

As for the actual convo in this thread, I'm often inspired by the LATEST tiny-budget success. I think Tiny Furniture is one we can look to for inspiration. Besides a successful theatrical run, it launched careers, including a popular HBO show. That's awesome! The dream is not impossible!

I'm with you on this one. It's not necessarily hitting the indie film version of the lottery, but its about being inspired to keep improving, so that you move up to bigger and better things. It getting better at your craft and getting it out to be seen.

Tiny Furniture is especially inspiring. If I remember the story correctly. Lena Dunham wrote,,directed and stared in Tiny Furniture. It was filmed on a Canon 7D, with a budget of 50k. Went on to win one of the top awards at South by Southwest festival. Some how Jud Apatow saw it, and like it a lot. And asked Lena to help develop an HBO show (Girls), which I believe she recently won a Golden Globe for.

Last edited:
NO!! That's pretty much my whole point in posting to this thread. Many of the films mentioned in the article listed the actual budget to make the film, others, all the tiny budget ones, just listed what the filmmaker spent. This makes any kind of budget comparison worthless. It could be that some of the 6 figure budget films listed in the article actually had smaller budgets than some of the films listed with a budget of just a few thousand!

Oh, I always thought Robert Rodriguez spent $7,000 total. I guess that also includes what Columbia spent too (Hard to think, really...)

A film's budget is what it cost to make, if you are going to say that a film's budget is what the filmmakers spent then the budget for Avatar was $14m (the amount Cameron reputedly spent). Many films could be listed as having zero budget or just a few hundred, even though they cost many millions to make, because it may not have cost the filmmakers anything at all except for a bit of loose change setting up and attending all the various funding meetings.

I didn't mean from their own pocket. It's so strange that you thought I meant that.

Last edited:
Back