Looking for New Camera...GL2 Died

My venerable Canon GL2 died. The factory wants $1100 to fix it. Obviously, I'm not going to do that.

So, I'm looking for a full-sized prosumer camcorder. Max budget for camera about $3000. No DSLR, please.

I could go miniDV like the Canon, or using another storage medium.

I shoot interviews, sports, music performances, and the like.

Quality is the primary focus. I have a sound rig that I record on, so sound via camera not an issue. Visual quality is paramount.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. My school has Panasonic AG-HMC70, so I'm familiar with that camera. It works well, but I'm open to other options.

My favorite in the $3,000 range is the JVC HM100. It records to
SDHC cards in native .mov format and has a great lens. It's an
excellent camera.

The Panasonic AG-HMC80 is a nice shoulder mount camera that also
records to SDHC cards and you are already familiar with it’s older
model.

Sony’s HVR-A1U is very nice and would be an excellent option.

Since you like Canon you should consider the XH-A1. Not my
favorite, but then I’m not really a Canon fan.

As much as I haven't drunk the DSLR Koolaide, at that price point, I'd get a 5D MKII. If you are dead set against DSLR, you're probably talking used. I don't know a ton about the newest generation, but a used HVX200A is doable for under $3K. I've also heard OK things about the XH-A1.

I have the HM100 and a 7D.

HM-100 is super easy and does quality audio and a decent picture (If lit really really well). It has two card slots that are hot swappable so theoretically you could record forever with enough cards. Auto-focus makes it easy for us to hand it to a less-experienced camera-op with a mic for great behind the scenes stuff.

If picture quality is what you want, the 7D crushes it.

Since I'm shooting interviews and doing some commercial work, the 'customer factor' comes into play. They all light up when you bring the traditional prosumer in.

I helped on a shoot with the 7d. It was OK, but the camera kept overheating, so we could only get about 5 minutes or so. Since it was a short film, the actors could hang around rehearsing lines. We also had to bring in a separate monitor with a power source, etc. just to see what was going on.

I shoot sporting events and concerts as well. I don't want to have to stop the action to let the camera cool down.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Back