Looking for Film Fest advice

OK...a small but very cool film fest wants to program my feature, YOU ARE ALONE.

But 1. we still need to do the mix, and

2. I've been protecting the "virginity" of my "premiere" for the larger fests with markets where we can hopefully find a distributor, etc., and so on...

I'm thinking the small fest can have a special screening of the "rough cut" of the film (as the mix won't be done in time)...thus the premiere of the finished film is safe.

Does this make sense?

Has anyone else tried working this route?

Am I crazy?

Will Pedro really make a difference for the Mets?

Any thoughts will be helpful.

THANKS!

You Are Alone site

YouAreAloneMOVIE said:
OK...a small but very cool film fest wants to program my feature, YOU ARE ALONE.

But 1. we still need to do the mix, and

2. I've been protecting the "virginity" of my "premiere" for the larger fests with markets where we can hopefully find a distributor, etc., and so on...

I'm thinking the small fest can have a special screening of the "rough cut" of the film (as the mix won't be done in time)...thus the premiere of the finished film is safe.

Does this make sense?

Has anyone else tried working this route?

Am I crazy?

Will Pedro really make a difference for the Mets?

Any thoughts will be helpful.

THANKS!

You Are Alone site

Pedro will give the Mets 20 more wins.

Chris

How do the larger fests deal with movies that have previously been shown? Do any of them insist on exclusivity? Do they make a distinction between films that have been screened before and "world-premiere" showings?

What's your reasoning for wanting to show the movie at the small but cool fest? Do you want to participate because it's a fest you want to be involved in, or do you simply want to get audience feedback on your rough cut? Because if that's the case, you can always arrange for a test screening somewhere, sort of like a focus group preview.

Which fest is it that you're referring to? Just curious, you don't have to divulge it if you don't want to.

And Pedro will help, but the Mets still need more depth. I'm thinking they'll go 81-73 this season...maybe a wild card possibility; it'll take another year of rebuilding before they have a real chance at winning their division.

I'm not sure if it is screened in competition whether WIP makes any difference as to whether it is considered a world premiere or not. If screened out of competition (IE to see crowd reaction) it can be a sneek peek or preview.

I don't know that you can specify "Nebraska premiere" or any other specification if it hasn't been screened before either. I also know that WIP are screened all the time at larger fests like Sundance.

And yes, Mr. Bob, fests do heavily place emphasis on premiere status. Some, like Sundance, highly prefer World Premiere status. Most smaller fests do not however, as most realize they likely won't get many premiere screenings. That said, smaller fests may promote a World Premiere feature more than the other films, and having a WP in a local town to the filmmaker may greatly increase media exposure.

If it's a marketable feature, I can understand waiting to Premiere at a large/known festival. You have plenty of time to hit the small festivals after you do some larger ones.

MrBobTV said:
How do the larger fests deal with movies that have previously been shown? Do any of them insist on exclusivity? Do they make a distinction between films that have been screened before and "world-premiere" showings?

What's your reasoning for wanting to show the movie at the small but cool fest? Do you want to participate because it's a fest you want to be involved in, or do you simply want to get audience feedback on your rough cut? Because if that's the case, you can always arrange for a test screening somewhere, sort of like a focus group preview.

Which fest is it that you're referring to? Just curious, you don't have to divulge it if you don't want to.

And Pedro will help, but the Mets still need more depth. I'm thinking they'll go 81-73 this season...maybe a wild card possibility; it'll take another year of rebuilding before they have a real chance at winning their division.

As stated, yes, larger fests give priority to films that are premiering. They don't exist on exclusivity, just seem to bully you into it...because they can.

My reason is that one of my shorts won best short at this fest. It has a great rep. Chris Gore listed it as one of the top 10 underground fests. But I do prefer not to mention the name just yet...

But after speaking with them, it does look as if they'll be giving You Are Alone a special screening, as a "work-in-progress." Which will work....and protect the virginity for something larger. (There's a sick twisted logic to that phrase.)

But I do prefer not to mention the name just yet...

Is it on that DVD of yours?
smiley_coy.gif

Back