• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Looking for critique...

This is my latest film, although I finished it back in 2009. I'm looking for honest critiques. I know there's a LOT wrong with it as far as camera use is concerned. I have shots that are blown out, others with un-steady tracking, some out of focus, and a lot of other rookie camera operator mistakes. :blush:

But we did this in a single day, with over 45 different angles being shot. Total guerilla style shooting. But the objective was to see if the shots I wanted to get would tell the story the way I wanted them too, and I think they do.

I've now spent the past 2 years or so learning how to actually use my camera correctly. I'm just wanting others to tell me what needs to be improved with the shots in this film so when I'm ready to film again (soon I hope) I'll know what NOT to do.

Thanks to all. And be gentle...:D

Kidding. Hit me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZzwGCG1zxA

**Edited for embedding**

Last edited:
I loved it ! Very creative, and yes you made exactly the mistakes you said you made. Great, you will endeavor to correct them.

Im thinking a way to work around most exposure issues is to get all shots in very early light which would take a few days to do or get the wide shots early then get closeups with some shading to block extreme light and bounce for too dark later in the day.

To embed video at IT just copy the jibberish letters/numbers/signs after the URL's equal's sign.
youtube,com/watch?v=nZzwGCG1zxA

Then create a "youtube" open and close bracket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[/yt ] (delete the space before that final character and it'll work)

Last, paste the gibberish between them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZzwGCG1zxA[/yt ]

Renders:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZzwGCG1zxA

Well yeah, the issues you pointed out are all there. Otherwise, I think you did a good job with the camera. Not everyone has an eye for something so seemingly simple as shot composition, and I think you're pretty good at it.

Mostly, your shots cut together well, but I think you'd benefit by following the 180-rule a little more closely. Also, I'm not a big fan of zooms, but hey, that's just my opinion.

Good luck on the next shoot!

I know there's a LOT wrong with it as far as camera use is concerned. I have shots that are blown out, others with un-steady tracking, some out of focus, and a lot of other rookie camera operator mistakes. :blush:

Honestly, if you hadn't had said I wouldn't have noticed; was too absorbed in the film =P

The slap was just top notch! I think you got some damn good directing skills old chap.

Honestly, if you hadn't had said I wouldn't have noticed; was too absorbed in the film =P

Ditto. What you got right - good acting, good sound, pacing, etc. - far outweighs the few errors with the 180 degree rule. I liked it!

Since you asked, after the shots of suburbia, the first shot should have been the tilt up of the garage door opening and Floyd scratching himself. It should also have been a tripod shot, as the camera was moving and so was the garage door and the character. Lose the shots of pressing the door button and the door first opening, as they are repetitive and not giving us more information.

As Crackerfunk pointed out, the 180 degree rule was broken. When the lady first drives up, gets out and looks at Floyd, he is looking - right to left - and she is also looking... right to left. (I know you were getting to one side of the car door, so you could see her leg more fully.) The rest of the scene is right, except for The Slap. The camera moved to the opposite side of Floyd to get his facial reaction. You could have had her slap him with her left hand, so he would face the camera. Or, you could have been looking straight on (go on the line, then cross it) at Floyd, she swings her right hand, then cut to the closeup.

Now, the average viewer isn't going to care if you crossed the line, with The Slap, because you have established space between the characters. This is a real minor niggle.

The only other issue was when you shot from behind the woman and she blocked Floyd's face. I thought the camera should have been moved just a couple feet to the right, so you could see at least part of his face.

Anyway, this is minor stuff and doesnt take away from you having a good, funny movie.

Thanks guys! You're kind words give me confidence!

And thanks for turning me on to the 180 degree rule. I always felt like the shots I used from the opposite angle "felt" wrong, now I know why.

Any other critiques (or praise :D) is always appreciated!

Scoopicman, nice to see another So Nev filmmaker on here!

Fun. To help with learning the 180 and absorbing it, before you hit a scene with a camera, but after blocking the actors, plant your coolest shot and look at the screen. Each character in every shot ends up in the same place of the screen in every shot for that setup. Alot of your closeups had the subject in the center, that is the space between characters, keep it free of clutter, that's where the relationships happen ;).

Back