• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Looking for a writer

I am starting research on a screenplay I want to write, and I need someone to work with. Experience would be nice, (but no neccissary) as I don't have any. But mainly, I need someone to research it with me, because it's a lot to do on my own. It's historical, and a great story. I'm based in Ottawa, Canada. If your interested, email me at lark0016@hotmail.com and I'll give you more information.

-Tine

Maybe you should post what you need researched here, and members will help out if they can. :)

Unless the research gives away too much info ... then you are better working in private.

Hmmmm well I didn't want to advertize what I'm doing, cause it's such a good story and someone might decide to write about it on their own, but now that I think about it, that doesn't seem too likely.

I am writing about Sir John Franklin's 1845 arctic expedition, and the discovery of the northwest passage. Anything you guys find would be great, as long as it's not from a website (I find it's much easier to trust something that's been published, rather than something that's been posted by gosh knows who)

Thanks
-Tine

Well, I'm not really interested in doing research with you.

But I can tell you there has been quite a lot written about Franklin's expedition so your research should be easy - though time consuming. You could check Encyclopedia Britannica - you can be assured that the research done in the book and on the site is not shoddy.

There's quite a bit of information on the National Maritime Mueseum site - again not just stuff posted by gosh knows who. They are a highly respected research tool.

And National Geographic is often thought of as trustworthy.

But if you don't trust those sites you could read "Ice Blink" by Scott Cookman. One of the problems a screenwriter runs into is sticking too close to another authors narrative. The way Cookman tells the story (after doing years of his own research) may rub off on you as a screenwriter.

I seem to recall that his book was optioned recently. You might want to check the Done Deal site.

There were a lot of "exploration" documentaries made by the Brits back in the 70's. Amundsen, Scott, Pierce, Hillary, etc. I bet you could find a few episodes devoted to Franklin.

If you don't want to buy them (if available), keep checking the show listings for History Channel, PBS, BBC America, and other similar cable channels. Keep that VCR ready to go.

I bet I can find some legit websites, btw. I'll look some up when I get home and post them. While it's true that there are a lot of dubiously documented websites out there, I think there is an incredible amount of good material too.

Hey thanks guys!

That's funny that you mention the episodes, I should look some up. I have only done about 10 hours of research so far, but I have some notes. On the history channel a few days ago there was a show about Franklin and McKlintock, and so I watched it. I could not believe how inaccurate it was! They got dates wrong, they got facts wrong, they even labled a map wrong. They labled North Devon island as Beechy island! (Beechy island is a tiny island off the coast of North Devon, and is so small it's usually not even labled on maps) It was quite funny, because most of what they talked about I had read about in several books earlier that very same day.

That was dumb, but I will check out those documenteries from the 70's. That's might be interesting to see, because I think they only found out how they died in the 80's, I wonder if there were any other theory's back then. Do you think I might find them in a library?

Back