• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

format Looking for a Link to a Screenplay With a Friendly Basketball Game

I'm writing a story in which the protagonist is playing a 3 on 3 pickup game with friends. The point of the scene is the interaction between the characters with the game as a backdrop. There will be lots of trash talk and ball busting. I'm looking for a link to a screenplay with a similar(ish) scene. I have tried to locate screenplays for White Men Can't Jump, Streetball, Streetballers, Crossover, Above the Rim, He Got Game, etc. to no avail. I have found transcriptions of many of these, but that doesn't help. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Thank you, i.t. I have both of those. I am hoping to locate a scene where a group of friends are just playing for fun and busting each others' balls. I know I have seen similar scenes in a number of films, but can't think of any at the moment. If I could just find an actual copy of the screenplay for White Men Can't Jump, that would probably be perfect. I really like the pacing in the early scene in the playground before Billy Hoyle (Harrelson) is introduced.
You're probably gonna have to end up purchasing them if you can't find them online... Especially WHITE MEN CAN'T JUMP. I've known quite a few people looking for that one online -- never found it -- they had to buy it.

It's only $20 at ScriptFly.com.

Write it...
Thank you, i.t. I have both of those. I am hoping to locate a scene where a group of friends are just playing for fun and busting each others' balls. I know I have seen similar scenes in a number of films, but can't think of any at the moment. If I could just find an actual copy of the screenplay for White Men Can't Jump, that would probably be perfect. I really like the pacing in the early scene in the playground before Billy Hoyle (Harrelson) is introduced.

You're probably gonna have to end up purchasing them if you can't find them online... Especially WHITE MEN CAN'T JUMP. I've known quite a few people looking for that one online -- never found it -- they had to buy it.

Write it off as an educational expense...

Solution

Write it off as an educational expense...
Purchased! You are awesome! As long as the cost is reasonable, I don't mind paying for what I need/want.

Well... That's what I'm actually DOING these days myself so you're not alone. Hit me up for some tips to do that if you have any trouble. What seems to work for me personally is simply TRANSCRIBING the script over to novel form first.

I don't even really call that a first draft... Just a working draft.

Then I start at the beginning to see how I can flesh it out... If you're first and foremost a screenwriter like I am? I had a tendency to keep it short and visual and it took me a few months to BREAK OUT OF THAT OLD HABIT.

Now I'm very used to writing thoughts and feelings... It adds so much more depth to the characters.

Good luck!

Well... That's what I'm actually DOING these days myself so you're not alone. Hit me up for some tips to do that if you have any trouble. What seems to work for me personally is simply TRANSCRIBING the script over to novel form first.

I don't even really call that a first draft... Just a working draft.

Then I start at the beginning to see how I can flesh it out... If you're first and foremost a screenwriter like I am? I had a tendency to keep it short and visual and it took me a few months to BREAK OUT OF THAT OLD HABIT.

Now I'm very used to writing thoughts and feelings... It adds so much more depth to the characters.

Good luck!
Yes! That is my conundrum exactly. Nobody wants a 110 page "novel".

I also highly recommend using Scrivener, Write it Now, or WriteWay Pro.

WriteWay Pro is FREE by the way... Great piece of software but only runs on Windows.

The reason I recommend one of these is that they allow you to write in scenes as opposed to writing like say... In a Word or Open Office document that ends up becoming so LONG that it's easy to get lost when you're revising and editing. There's a bit of a learning curve of course... Especially when it comes to Scrivener because it's so infinitely configurable but once you get a configuration that WORKS for you? It's a solid piece of software.

The others are too...

Again... Good luck!

I also highly recommend using Scrivener, Write it Now, or WriteWay Pro.

WriteWay Pro is FREE by the way... Great piece of software but only runs on Windows.

The reason I recommend one of these is that they allow you to write in scenes as opposed to writing like say... In a Word or Open Office document that ends up becoming so LONG that it's easy to get lost when you're revising and editing. There's a bit of a learning curve of course... Especially when it comes to Scrivener because it's so infinitely configurable but once you get a configuration that WORKS for you? It's a solid piece of software.

The others are too...

Again... Good luck!
I primarily use Final Draft, but I also have Scrivner and Celtx. In FD, I write all of my scenes/sequences separately then copy them over to the master document. On one of my projects, I'm writing two versions simultaneously. After I complete them and make a clean-up pass, I will decide which version works best and focus my revisions on that one. The reason for this unusual process on this one is because I have a prologue event from 22 years before the story begins which forms the entirety of the main character. And he is a very unlikeable character. The prologue is to show why he's such an asshole and, hopefully, have the audience form some empathy before he does some really harsh things. I still think I prefer to hold that information back and show it a little at a time through the interactions with the other characters later in the story.

Last edited:
I've using Word for the beginning of my novel but have already gotten frustrated with that. Since I have a mac, I think it will be Scrivener for me.

THIS is why it's good to follow threads that may not immediately seem useful :)
Actually, for long documents, Pages is best IMHO on Mac, and you can easily convert it to a publishing quality manuscript. I know because I just published a book, written on Pages. Sections and format management is outstanding on Pages.

I primarily use Final Draft, but I also have Scrivner and Celtx. In FD, I write all of my scenes/sequences separately then copy them over to the master document. On one of my projects, I'm writing two versions simultaneously. After I complete them and make a clean-up pass, I will decide which version works best and focus my revisions on that one. The reason for this unusual process on this one is because I have a prologue event from 22 years before the story begins which forms the entirety of the main character. And he is a very unlikeable character. The prologue is to show why he's such an asshole and, hopefully, have the audience form some empathy before he does some really harsh things. I still think I prefer to hold that information back and show it a little at a time through the interactions with the other characters later in the story.
I use Celtx, but is somehow doesn't work properly on Catalina and Big Sur. Fade In is a beautiful script app I discovered recently.

Back