Looking for a composer...

I'm shooting my first feature in March (spring break) with a small cast and crew made up of mostly college freshman in Morro Bay, California for just a couple of thousand dollars, I knew we'd find a composer pretty easily but the thing is I love scenes in movies where the scene is structured around a song so I'm trying to find someone who can make great original music just by reading the script.

Any help?

Omar, there are quite a few composers looking for projects around here. However, everyone has a different style or likes particular kinds of projects. You should entice them with some more info like:

*What is the movie's genre and synopsis?

*What kind of music do you like - classical orchestra style, ambient soundscapes, electronic fusion, pop?

*How much (if any) of that "couple of thousand dollars" is budgeted for music?

*What is your producing experience?

*What is unique about this project - format, style, etc.?

What is the movie's genre and synopsis?
I guess the genre would fall under "stoner comedy."
In 1999, two best friends invite their former friend Levi and his hated girlfriend to their New Years Eve Party, hoping to solve their problems with his girlfriend tonight. Hilarity ensues.

What kind of music do you like - classical orchestra style, ambient soundscapes, electronic fusion, pop?
I have songs and pieces of music to reference in each scene. I'm a big fan of 80's pop and 90's acoustic.

How much (if any) of that "couple of thousand dollars" is budgeted for music?
I have about 3k for the whole movie (seeing as the movie takes place at one location in one night, that's more than enough). I'll work out the pay with the composer based on the quality of past projects.

What is your producing experience?
I'm doing this film because of it's extreme simplicity. I had another feature ready for February and I was going to shoot this one in the summer, but I traded projects because the other was more cinematic and epic.

What is unique about this project - format, style, etc.?
I would like to say the structure, the storyline is straight forward and it flashbacks to fill in any gaps in character information.

Thanks for your responses. Bakersfield, eh? Kind of a half-joke, where I wonder if Eli McClure is in your movie.... (He's from there and appeared in several STONED SOBER shorts for his dad.)

Back