Looking For A Certain Type of Horror Movie

I've wanted to make a horror movie (or short) for ages, probably since I watched Night of the Living Dead at the start of this year. So I'm looking for a type of horror movie that will be similar to the one I'm gonna try and make it. It needs the following qualities
-A low budget
-A single location (or very few)
-Minimal special effects
-Implying horror instead of showing it
-Suspense
-Psychological horror

Cheers everyone (:

I'm not so sure a singular movie containing many of those aspects, would be the right choice, as apposed to broadening your viewing, watching the new and old, the "Experimental" and "The Classic", and defining a style you feel comfortable and satisfying. Although, i assume you do already.

I say this merely because you've listed what you ask, and what you wish to do. So the initial understanding of what can be achieved is pre-existing. What i would suggest is focusing on how you're going to craft these methods into something entertaining, not by pin-pointing one solitary watch but by allowing a vast acknowledgement of its placement, importance, and its reason for doing so.

Explore the Genre of "Horror" till its fullest, and discover why it is "Minimalist" productions are truly appealing, and what it is they represent.

Well minimalism appeals to me because I never really liked big budget horror movies as much, all the ones that influence me have been low budget and independent, it's also a great deal more convinient for me.

Well minimalism appeals to me because I never really liked big budget horror movies as much, all the ones that influence me have been low budget and independent, it's also a great deal more convinient for me.

I assumed as much, yet this isn't a problem, What is "Convenient" is often bittersweet. Your material, however, should be fueled by motive.

"Minimalist Horror" is about conveying its purpose through as little as possible, shadows, sounds, suspense. It's purpose was invented to allow the material to be open, not to be confined, for the audience to discover their own fears, and to feel them within what is potentially a canvas of their making.

I assumed as much, yet this isn't a problem, What is "Convenient" is often bittersweet. Your material, however, should be fueled by motive.
What do you mean by that? What makes it bittersweet?
A lot of horror films I've seen or wanna see appeal because they're minimalistic, for instance, 'Rosemary's Baby' uses very few sets and looks like it could be psychologically frightening particularly because it doesn't show a great deal.

A lot of horror films I've seen or wanna see appeal because they're minimalistic, for instance, 'Rosemary's Baby' uses very few sets and looks like it could be psychologically frightening particularly because it doesn't show a great deal.

Exactly my point.

What do i mean by referring to the matter of convenience being "Bittersweet"?

From a writers perspective, it puts a ceiling onto your thinking.

I'm in no way saying ignore your limitations, many people write with their budget in mind. However, it could well hinder numerous ideas that may never occur again.

I would watch Nicolas Roeg's "Don't Look Now." (1973)

It matches all your criteria. It's breathtakingly horror-inducing without showing much gore.

Roeg was a former A-list DP who took the reins of directing. You can tell. The imagery and quality of the shots are amazing.

Last edited:
I would say that 'Don't Look Now' requires Venice, dwarves and Julie Christie... but if you've got it... ;)

I second Zensteve's recommendation of Open Water (although it's a little bit rubbish) and would add to that...ahh...what's it called? Adrift? I think that's it.

-A single location: Locked room, jail cell, open water, cave, celler, mine, nuclear bunker, corner shop, cinema, changing room...etc.
-Implying horror instead of showing it Perhaps being locked in seemingly accidentally but gradually coming to believe that some malevolent force is responsible. For reference watch Paranormal Activity up until actual, verifiable paranormal stuff starts happening. That's how people in confined spaces freak themselves out with very little evidence.
-Suspense Your character could be diabetic or gravely injured, then it becomes a race against the clock to get them out. Or you could have a puzzle which they have to solve (this is seeming more like Saw. A thinking man's Saw I might add...).

Back