Logistics, how do you do it?

Well here we are getting ready to shoot the best film of the ITOOFC#4. I have received almost 30 responses to my ads on craigslist and Mandy with more coming in all the time.

Shoot is in Ft Lauderdale, FL.

I live in Elgin, IL.

How am I supposed to audition these actors?

I will only have 1.5 days to shoot this and don't have time to do a casting audition when I'm there.

Should I just look over their portfolios and take a guess? Should I get someone to do the cast audition?

I also have some crew, make-up artist, cinematographer, photographer, etc..

How do you make a decision on this stuff on a production that is like 1,500 miles away? :huh:

Anyone have experience in these matters?

Get yer cinematographer to audition them- at least he can pick the ones that look best on camera. LOL.

Since most people have some form of web access,why not ask for interviews by webcam ?Its likely better than guessing...just a thought

If they can't act, show 'em the knife.

It won't work having them interviewed in Florida.... my partner has no time.

So I'll have to do it over the web.

I'd like to have them all show up and kill them all, but I can't have 30 people hanging around waiting for their shot. So I need to dwindle it down... that's the hard part.

There's a make-up artist/actor, two crew/actors, and about 25 actors. Some I just love the look and can see them in a part, but it would suck if they can't act!

Ask if any of them have a video clip they can send, or direct you to a website, that shows their acting ability (either a demo reel or a scene from an actual project in which they appeared). I'm sure not all of them have a video demo online, but at some might. It could give you an idea to start with...

Coot Dog,

"Casting is 90%". By ignoring casting, you are screwed. I can't tell you how disappointed I am in your failing to schedule enough time for casting. Getting someone else to cast for you isn't such a great idea. And going 1500 miles to let location isn't the smartest move either.

Gotta tell you, in my not so humble opinon, you have just stacked the cards against yourself with no one else to blame. You have skipped one of the basics by showing such little regard to casting. This will be your weak point, and it will show in the final effort.

This is why I don't do "24" or "48" hour video shoots. Too many chances for screwing up, even in pre-production. I know a lot of you get a big kick out of the pressure to complete something with a tight timeline, but now it is extending to pre-production and some basic considerations are being cast to the wayside. This isn't good indie filmming; this is poor planning and results in below average or even poor work. That's something a lot of indie filmmakers submit to film festivals (I know, I am screening about 30 films for a local film festival and I have seen 80% of them to be well below acceptable standards). This is one of the resons indie filmmaking is held in such low respect in the rest of the audience going world. "Oh, no. They are going to show an indie film and they want me to pay for a ticket???"

Good luck guys. Too late to ask for help when you have failed to schedule in enough time for a decent casting session. I regard this as a waste of time for the cast and crew and a total waste of limited funds.

I know many of you will be critical of me to have such harsh words for this topic, but don't expect me to support something like this. It's not only reeks of amatuerism but it screams of "non-professional", which applies to indie work just as much as it does commercial work.

WC

No, you have it wrong, I welcome your comments.

I now know that the cards are stacked against me and to expect to fail.

But this is going to be the best damn failure you've ever seen!

I do have some reals of some of the actors and crew.

This is the first time I'm calling a casting actually and your information is telling me that I should have taken more time so I can SEE anf FEEL their acting.

Filmmaking is an ongoing learning experience. You are always working to do better. Since this is the first casting time for me, I'll LEARN from my mistakes.

For you not to try something because you think it would be too hard is a waste. You'll never know if you can do it. Get actors that can Improv. Give them various situations and see what they can do. Choose the best ones and ENTER THE NEXT 48 hour project. I challenge you to do that.

"Mistakes and failures are what makes your knowledge grow." - Michael S. Copeland

Coot Dog said, "ENTER THE NEXT 48 hour project. I challenge you to do that.".

No. Challenge rejected. I don't get suckered into doing stuff I do not have respect for. Your challenge won't work. If it's a macho thing, I'm too smart for that crap.

Do not get me started on what I truly think of such projects. You will not like the answer. I do not have time for such. I do not participate and do not go to see the results. I also don't waste my time on watching the WWF or WWE or such, as I have no regard for them in the same sense.

If this is your first casting experience, you are starting on a bad note and the wrong foot. When you finish this you will still know nothing about casting. "Mistakes and failures are what makes your knowledge grow?" What if you know before you act that you are going to make a big mistake? Is it your intent to intenionally make a mistake instead of learning from others mistakes before you have to make a mistake on your own that you don't have to? Explain to me the logic behind this. No, never mind. You can't.

Good luck. You are going to need all the luck you can get. I'm out of this.

WC

Last edited:
I'm working with what I have.

A set in Florida

2 days in Florida

2 Cams

Lights

Sound equipment

Liza Trainer, and Myself... that's it... And an agreement to enter this contest.

So I'm entering the contest with what I have.. If I can get more, then that's great, if not I'll work with that I do have, listed above.

Unlike people that talk about making a film, I'm doing it, what ever it takes. Even though there is nothing set in stone, we're doing it. The odds are stacked against me a mile high, so am I just going to sit there and wait for the pile to get smaller. Hell No! I'm going to climb that stack and deal with the odds.

People that wait around for things to fall in their lap are going to be dissapointed with the amount of time they wasted sitting there, instead of LIVING.

If you love something, you do whatever you can to make it work.

Thanks for the luck, I do need all the luck I can get. I agree with you.

I'm going to start climbing now

You could also do a phone interview, fax/e-mail them sides. Video chat if they have access to it. It's a wired world, use the technology. I agree with parts of Cowboy's sentiments about time for preproduction, but I love the challenges short film competitions present.

Another thing short contests are good for is making mistakes and learning from them. It sounds like you've learned from the experience already. If you pull one actor out of this that works well with you and gives the picture what you need them to, you've found someone you can work with in the future. Get together a clump of these people, and life gets easier.

Coot, you are right, it is SO much better to be doing something, anything, than to be doing nothing. I've known too many aspiring filmmakers who never did jack because they felt they couldn't do it "the right way". I have way more respect for the guy/gal who is willing to put their best effort forward and just get it done with whatever they've got at hand. The hardest part of making any film is just that, getting it made. I have total respect for the B, C, & D filmmakers because even if those films aren't great, I can RESPECT how much effort it took to make them.

A couple things hit me, rather than berate you for making a mistake (you are human after all) how about some possible solutions...

Knightly's right, it is a wired world. Most everyone has access to a video camera these days, maybe you could write a short scene and have them act it out soliquoly style and send the tape back to you or the upload it.

How many actors do you need? Might be nice to get some local talent and drive them down with you. A couple days in Florida might be nice as long as there's some down time.

Either way it's good see you're not rolling over. ;) Chin up old boy.

Writum- Since a lot of projects (especially in TV) can hit, oftentimes 48 hours before the deadline, I think 24 and 48's are great ways to practice working in a deadline. Even on scheduled/pre-planned shoots, things can go wrong at the last minute. By doing a 24 or 48, you get the invaluable experience of working under a tight time-line.
Even so, you can still pre-plan for a timed challenge- get a variety of locations signed beforehand, "rough" schedules, etc.

And sure, maybe Coot didn't allot a lot of time for casting- ok... well, there are lots of other areas to focus on- cinematography, direction, blah-di-blah-blah..
For my last ITOOFC entry, I focused on learning how to edit with a simple one-page script. It was my first time editing. This time, I'll focus more on cinematography and image quality, framing, etc.. and acting..

I think you are being a little harsh on the idea of a timed contest. It gets people up and making films (gaining valuable experience), realism of deadlines, etc, etc.

My, I've used lots of "etc" thingys- but c'mon, I'm under deadline here!!

Coot- Good luck with the shoot! I'm entering the final countdown until shooting here... actually, this is the first shoot I will have rented equipment for!
See- another experience to add to the ol' experience belt!

Back