Location Release

Do I need the location owner to sign the location release when...

1. I'm approach them prior to the shoot?

or

2. On the day of the shoot?

I need to shoot in a thrift shop for a day. Should I approach them w/ $ to see if I can have the owner to close shop for 2~3hrs for the shoot? location release is the only form I need, right?

Should I approach them w/ $ to see if I can have the owner to close shop for 2~3hrs for the shoot?

How much money you got? :hmm: That would be a hardship for the shop owner, and pretty unlikely.

You'd be better off asking to shoot after-hours, or on a day that the store is usually closed on.

One of the films I'm currently working on shot in a store that remained open, with customers coming & going. It was a food store in a small town, though, so there were some very predictable busy & slow times that we could work with. (It also meant having to stop shooting at inopportune times, for someone randomly needing a quick sammich)

location release is the only form I need, right?

The shop proprietor might (quite reasonably) verify that your production has insurance to cover them, just in case of catastrophe.

You might also need signs to post in the area (especially if customers coming & going) that the area is being filmed, and that by being in the area they are giving their consent.

Do I need the location owner to sign the location release when...

1. I'm approach them prior to the shoot?

or

2. On the day of the shoot?

You'll want it signed any time before you start shooting. Sure, you can do it on the day of, too.

If you ask one store and they say no, there's always more to ask. Or friends of a friend, etc.

Good luck. :)

Ahhh so I should get it signed when I first approach.... Do you guys know if it's likely for the owner to say yes if I approach in person? Or do you normally just call the places instead? Although I guess I still have to see the place first. Already got couple of rejections. :(

1. Find the locale you want.

2. Approach them in person and explain yourself.

3. Ask what they would charge. (because they may want to help you out and say, "Nothing.")

4. If they don't give you a figure, offer what you can.

5. Sign the agreement with them before you shoot. (I don't recommend the day of)

6. Stick to the schedule and leave the place exactly as you found it.

7. Once you're done, send a Thank You card to them within a few weeks.

8. If they say No, keep looking and repeat steps 1-7.

All fine advice above. I also dont recommend doing it day of.

One thing to add: spend time looking for a place that will let you do it for free and spend the money on liability insurance for the location and ur crew.

I agree with what everyone has, get a location release weeks in advance!
When you go in just be really friendly and explain your situation. Tell them how you are a low budget film and that you would be fine working after (or before!) hours. Talk them about the film and how it will get a good credit at the end ^_^

Also when you are writing up a location agreement make sure you have important information that says that they agree that you will film on the (insert date), that you have permission to use the location in the film which will then be used for private screenings, film festivals etc.

And if they do say yes I like getting them a small gift, like chocolates and make sure you respect the location. Clean up after the shoot and don't break anything! That way if you ever need to film there again, or other people would like to film there, the people are happy to work with film crew.

Yes. Get releases for everything. If you go through a distributor they often require such location releases. Although how many indie filmmakers actually sign with distributors these days? The main reason is to protect yourself from the location owner backing out, from them suddenly jacking up the price if you need to reshoot some scenes there, etc. PM me if you need an example of a location release.

Back