Lionsgate will build theme parks.

Walt Disney expanded his empire to include theme parks and ship cruises, George Lucas turned Skywalker Ranch into a tourist attraction, and Peter Jackson turned Hobbiton in New Zealand to - you guessed it - a money-maker.

I was in New Zealand last year, visiting Hobbiton, and I was inspired by the success of that franchise. Now, Lionsgate is doing the same thing.

I'm fascinated by business, and, of course, showbiz fascinates me.

Who wouldn't want to take ride the "Hotel Rwanda" or take a plunge down the "Junk Mail" water slide? I say go for it!!

Seriously though, while they did have some great movies, like American Psycho and Kick-Ass, I feel that most of their draw would be for thriller and horror movies, and the park would probably have to reflect that to some degree.

This will definately give movie-based theme park goers and vacationers something to look forward to outside of the typical romantic front Walk Disney advertises. Halloween may become more than 'trick or treat' and local haunted digs.

That is pretty interesting. Hey, why not? Hunger Games has a huge fan base, right? Step Up I don't know about. Haven't seen it. What would sound more fun to me (because I've seen it at least) would be Pitch Perfect dance shows at a theme park. But I guess that's Universal.

Despite this…

Lionsgate, in other words, is trying to emulate not Disney or Universal, but Warner Bros., which has long licensed its characters, which include Batman and Bugs Bunny, to theme parks such as Six Flags.

…it makes me think of something I recently watched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgdeLgCdUNc

It was an eye-opener for me. About the man, I mean.

I think you might find it interesting.

Back