• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Lighting at night = Expensive?

I need to light at night in a farm. I'm hiring a lighting guy off craigslist, do you think it would be possible for him to pull off a night shoot with this kit?

2k blond w. barn doors & stand
2x 1k fresnel w. barn doors & stands
2x 650w fresnels w. barn doors & stands
2x 300w & 2x 150w fresnels, w barn doors & stands
4 C stands & flag kit
8 sandbags, 4 AC cords, gels, grip kit

The opening shot is a wide establishing shot of 2 kids in the back digging at a grave. Is this where I fall to apart?

ty

Lol @500

500 for little kid
500 for lighting guy
500 for hole in the ground

:lol:

Also, this makes absolutely no sense at all FYI

He responded for $300 for 2 nights of shooting but I think I'm going to offer him $500 because I realize how important this is now. (is that a fair price? he's going to have to improvise on shooting night because I don't have the money to rent for an extra day)

300 for 2 nights is 150 a night
so 3 nights would be 450

you say you don't have enough for a third day but you can pay him 500 for 2

Lol @500

500 for little kid
500 for lighting guy
500 for hole in the ground

:lol:

Also, this makes absolutely no sense at all FYI

300 for 2 nights is 150 a night
so 3 nights would be 450

you say you don't have enough for a third day but you can pay him 500 for 2

$300 seems too low to pay the guy for 2 nights so I raised it to $500 for 2 nights.

I have to pay people $500 because I suck at talking. I know I could have probably went to a bunch of acting classes and talked to 1000 people and got everything for free. Even the location, I could have probably knocked on 100 doors and found 1 person that would be willing but I suck at talking so thats the price I pay, money.

$300 seems too low to pay the guy for 2 nights so I raised it to $500 for 2 nights.

I have to pay people $500 because I suck at talking. I know I could have probably went to a bunch of acting classes and talked to 1000 people and got everything for free. Even the location, I could have probably knocked on 100 doors and found 1 person that would be willing but I suck at talking so thats the price I pay, money.

If that's what he quoted you then thats what he was okay with receiving.. you could have had 3 nights but you talked yourself down to 2 by raising the price

part of directing is being a leader and ensuring that you get the best possible product for your crew. By talking yourself down to 2 nights instead of 3 you're hurting your chances at that

I have to pay people $500 because I suck at talking.

Find a producer/Production Manager.... FAST.

Pay them the $500 and let them negotiate for you. You'll save money in the long run.

I presume you're looking at being the director. You NEED to learn to talk to people. Until you can talk to people, the role of director is going to be a really tough road for you. This of course presumes you're not a savant at other forms of communication and have a team to make up for that deficiency.

I think so? Using expensive lighting is acceptable to have a good quality of the film. That's also form of investment. But, be sure that you have to test that and StudyGeek first.

Last edited:
he's going to have to improvise on shooting night because I don't have the money to rent for an extra day

You could
read: should
draw up camera/lighting plans beforehand. Things might still need some tweaking on set, but it'll still save you a buttload of time. And someone with 20 years experience ought to be able to whip up a lighting plan pretty easily.

Back