• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Lighting at night = Expensive?

I need to light at night in a farm. I'm hiring a lighting guy off craigslist, do you think it would be possible for him to pull off a night shoot with this kit?

2k blond w. barn doors & stand
2x 1k fresnel w. barn doors & stands
2x 650w fresnels w. barn doors & stands
2x 300w & 2x 150w fresnels, w barn doors & stands
4 C stands & flag kit
8 sandbags, 4 AC cords, gels, grip kit

The opening shot is a wide establishing shot of 2 kids in the back digging at a grave. Is this where I fall to apart?

ty

What are you trying to achieve with your lighting?

If you need to light everything within 300 yards to achieve your wide shot or whether you're happy to only have the subjects and a few other objects (also including what you're going to shoot on might alter the list a little) lit will help determine what you need.

It's pretty much impossible without knowing some more details. Perhaps posting pictures so people have a better idea of your situation.

What are you trying to achieve with your lighting?

If you need to light everything within 300 yards to achieve your wide shot or whether you're happy to only have the subjects and a few other objects (also including what you're going to shoot on might alter the list a little) lit will help determine what you need.

It's pretty much impossible without knowing some more details. Perhaps posting pictures so people have a better idea of your situation.

There will be bushes behind them so I guess its ok if the background isn't lit up. Maybe I'll have one of them hold a lantern to help sell the low light.

I'm going to be shooting on a black magic pocket camera.

I could probably also move the camera closer, it doesn't need to be extremely wide.

Ty

It really depends on what you're trying to achieve, as well as the location itself, mood etc.

You could get some quite nice close ups and mids, but you might struggle with wides. Again, all depends what you're trying to do.

Some guy recommended that I have a 12k light and all this other shit but I dont think I'd be able to afford it. This lighting kit costs $300 a day.

This is a major step up from the previously listed gear, and will end up costing you more than $300/day for the rental.

You'll need to add on a generator to power this thing, power distibution boxes, cabling, as well as additional crew members to just handle it - it's really heavy & cumbersome. From everything I've read about your project over the past few years(!), you don't need this.

This is a major step up from the previously listed gear, and will end up costing you more than $300/day for the rental.

You'll need to add on a generator to power this thing, power distibution boxes, cabling, as well as additional crew members to just handle it - it's really heavy & cumbersome. From everything I've read about your project over the past few years(!), you don't need this.

ok ty, I'll stick with the first kit. Am I going to need someone to be beside the generator at all times? Do they need to have experience or would I be able to use anyone?

actually I just read that I could rent a 1200HMI light and its equivalent to 5000k light. It also said its good to emulate moonlight for night shots. Any technical things I should know about that? Thanks

actually I just read that I could rent a 1200HMI light and its equivalent to 5000k light. It also said its good to emulate moonlight for night shots. Any technical things I should know about that? Thanks

I would hope the lighting guy you've hired would know this. One generally hires experienced people, so you don't have to deal with the details of it all.

Fwiw, HMI's have a heavy ballast box that gets lugged around with it. The light is very blue, and yes - it can be used for night scenes, but it's also commonly used for strong daylight as well.

Is an HMI suitable for what you need? No idea. This is what you need to discuss with the people working on your set. When you have your shotlist & storyboard, you can get a clearer picture of what you'll need, in consultation with your crew (if any). If you can't afford any of the fancy gear (and the extra costs/manpower involved), then you rent what you can and accomodate your shots to look good with that.

What is your budget, btw?

A lot of rental houses will include insurance cost into their quotes.

If you've never used an HMI, you will definitely need a Gaffer who has experience using them. A 1.2k ('1200') gives a nice amount of output, but again it's gonna struggle for your wides. Also, the amount of light you will get will depend on whether it's a fresnel or par. Typically, you get a tad more light out of a par, but that brings with it lenses and the decision of which lens you want in your light.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you have an experienced Gaffer on board.

Ok thanks. I have a guy off craigslist who has 20 years experience as a gaffer. He recommended me a 4000HMI light before I told him I was interested in using them, so it looks like he will know what to do. He also told me he just finished a night farm shoot for a horror film.

He responded for $300 for 2 nights of shooting but I think I'm going to offer him $500 because I realize how important this is now. (is that a fair price? he's going to have to improvise on shooting night because I don't have the money to rent for an extra day)

I think my budget is going to be $7500, ($2000 saved, credit cards and loan from parents)

If I fail this its........ ARMY TIME!!!!!

He responded for $300 for 2 nights of shooting but I think I'm going to offer him $500 because I realize how important this is now. (is that a fair price? he's going to have to improvise on shooting night because I don't have the money to rent for an extra day)

You lost me... If he is happy with $300 then pay $300, not $500.

Unless you're a millionaire and like being generous to all around you.

Craigslist.... 20 years experience... Hmm

In any case, good luck! Is that the only light he's providing? If he's providing some kind of small package w/truck, then $500 is a ridiculous deal.

If it's one light and his services, then that's probably about normal for a low low budget ($250 for crew labor, $250 for fixture hire)
Edit: For two nights, $500 is super cheap

Last edited:
Back