• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Let's Talk About The Purpose Of Dialogue

The way I see it, dialogue has two purposes:

1. To further tell the story and explain off camera scenes. Also, to foreshadow things to come.

2. To tell us about the characters. What is on their minds, what other characters think about another character, give us a feel that the characters are people we can relate to.

I find if dialogue strays away from these purposes, it should be cut.

Can anyone add to this discussion? :)

Last edited:
It helps with furthering your storyline
padma

I think my first point says that when I say it further tells the story.

Yes, it is true. I've learned the value of "off camera scenes" from TV show scripts that don't have the budget to show scenes. So, they have characters talk about something that happened rather than showing it. Also, foreshadow things to come is often used in novels, but can also be used in movies and TV shows.

Last edited:
1. To further tell the story and explain off camera scenes. Also, to foreshadow things to come.

2. To tell us about the characters. What is on their minds, what other characters think about another character, give us a feel that the characters are people we can relate to.

I think it depends on what kind of film you make.
Personally, I find it pretty annoying when the people in the film only talk to explain things, even though I agree it's sometimes necessary. That's something that's noticeable in almost every CSI (Miami/NY) episode. "We found out this sweater is made of wool! Wool is a natural cloth and is produced by animals like sheep or llamas." - "And we all know there's only one person who has sheep and/or llamas in NY!" and off they go.
That doesn't mean that they should talk about trivial stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with the film, but it has to feel "natural" what my (admittedly made up) example doesn't, and that's what's so difficult about writing dialogue.

Communication, to which we decifer in an effort to understand both the character, and the mode of the story being told.

Very much the same approach as a Screenplay, to dialogue. Show, do not tell.

In a sense suggesting that a character remain a character, and not a ploy to foretell the story you so failed to achieve.

To make the audience laugh, by cracking jokes about boobs and farts!

No, seriously, I'm not joking. I only say this to highlight that there are numerous reasons to use dialogue. Heck, even the much-maligned exposition is a necessary thing, every so often.

Dialog is obviously very important in a narrative capacity. It's hard to do with out it. I do agree that it can sometimes get over-wordy (ie. here comes the exposition!), but it's hard to label exactly what it does, when you need it, and when it can be cut.

There are so many subtle choices, so many writing styles, so many grey areas, so much complexity, or so much simplicity...

It's hard to lay down hardened rules about when it should exist and when it shouldn't. I think it's all relative.

Generally speaking, I love movies that show not tell...and that's hard for many current gen filmmakers to do because we're in this a.d.d. generation with reality television morals and Danny Boyle esthetics. It's a shame that when extended dialog scenes happen, the audience shifts in their seats...sighs...

It's all style. Personal preference. There is a huge difference between a Woody Allen movie with tons of dialog and character development, and Rambo...would I say Woody Allen's films are too 'wordy?' No way...they are all about people and connection...characters. Dialog is the tool used to bring these characters to life. Who's the judge of whether a bit of dialog fits the rules posted by the OP?

But again, I like the show don't tell method.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Here's something I just realized that seems to hold true. Dialogue creates mood and adds character to a genre such as science fiction.

Where would we be without a Star Trek episode where the ship's senses detects a planet and the crew didn't tell the captain about what the senses revealed, rather than just show what the sensors found? The technical jargan adds to the experience of science fiction. "Captain, we have a Class M planet with what appears to be a humanoidd population of about ten billion. They seem very similar to twenty first century Earth from their communications technology which we can monitor."

Last edited:
Advances the plot and reveals character. Those are the principal reasons. It's also used for exposition ("Man with a pointer"), but should be used sparingly in that situation. Show, don't tell. Good example is discussing the Ark and the staff in Raiders of the Lost Ark with Indy and a chalk board. Bad example (my opinion) is Transformers when they're getting a tour of the "Top Secret" facility.

It doesn't even have to be in English or subtitled to understand what's going on. Remember Quest for Fire?

One of the best scripts I ever read is THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. No words are wasted for stage direction or dialogue. I remember years ago taking a class in technical writing. The instructor was showing us ways to say the most with the least possible words. That script would make him proud.

Dialogue and stage direction are pretty much the same way in that regard.

Dialogue and stage direction are pretty much the same way in that regard.

I disagree in terms of dialogue. You can have one character who chooses words carefully and/or speaks concisely. And then you could have another who couldn't keep her mouth shut to save her life. Thus, dialogue reveals character. Just make sure that her constantly running off at the mouth is consistent with moving the story forward, even if it's just a mechanism to get another character to fly off the handle and break her neck just to shut her up.

The character who can't keep their trap shut still has to work within the framework of the story. If the dialogue does nothing for establishing the character or furthering the story, consider cuttiing the character or the dialogue.

Dialogue to me is story via singular or combined instances of:

Exposition/Back Story
Subtext left in it’s wake or absence
Emotional tone or reflection
Creation and/or Counter Creation of conflict
Character reveal

When it fails to move things forward, bogs momentum down with idle chatter or
takes the story sideways consider cutting it, shortening it or reworking it.

-Thanks-

Last edited:
Back