Leigh Brackett's original draft for Empire.

George Lucas is a brilliant ideas guy and a very capable director (in a technical sense) - his big problem is, and has always been that he's a terrible storyteller (well, that and the fact that nobody appears to be able to tell him when he's had an awful idea).

That said, having seen how spectacularly Ridley Scott has failed as a storyteller in recent times, I'm hard pressed to say which out of the two I'd consider a 'better' director.

And honestly, that's not something I could have ever imagined myself saying ten years ago...

his big problem is, and has always been that he's a terrible storyteller

Really?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069704/?ref_=nv_sr_1
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Interesting article. And I agree, I think not having Lucas involved in some capacity would be a mistake. Nobody knows and loves that world more than him, and his wonderful imagination in the hands of great screenwriter/director who could judge the good from bad could have been all that the prequels really needed.

Interesting that Vader was not Luke's father in the original draft, uh I mean
Vader was not Luke's father in the original draft.
I didn't read the whole script but just flicked to the end and noticed Han wasn't in carbon-freeze either. The ending and whole feel of the film would have so different had those things not been in it.

Anyway regardless I'm still hanging out for Episode VII. Can't wait. :D

Lucas was also smart enough to at least attempt to hire David Lynch to direct Return of the Jedi.

Oh man, that would have been epic!

Some people think George Lucas has been given too little credit for ESB, and I would agree, because I think he made the critical decision to have Darth as Luke's father.
Or...

It was the other writer of TESB who made the decision to have Vader lie to Luke
about being his father. And Lucas who mucked up the mythology by having the
villain tell the truth and the mentor lie in ROTJ.

Or...

It was the other writer of TESB who made the decision to have Vader lie to Luke
about being his father. And Lucas who mucked up the mythology by having the
villain tell the truth and the mentor lie in ROTJ.

We've discussed this over dinner, but where is your evidence that the other writers made Vader lie? I think that him being the father of Luke was a good idea and, indeed, one of the reasons why ESB is iconic.

We've discussed this over dinner, but where is your evidence that the other writers made Vader lie? I think that him being the father of Luke was a good idea and, indeed, one of the reasons why ESB is iconic.
I have no evidence that Vader lied. He told the truth. That's very, very clear,
It's Luke's mentor who lied.

It was Kasdan who wrote the line not Lucas. There is no evidence that
Lucas wrote that line in TESB. So I believe that Lucas doesn't deserve credit
for Empire. Credit for that terrific, iconic film goes to the two writers and the
director. And when you look at the scripts he HAS written he shows no story
telling abilities at all. He's all images and cool stuff. Then you look at the scripts
and stories written by Brackett and Kasdan and you see great story telling.

Say, speaking of writing, does it work to have local actors do a table read of your script, then go back and redo it, then have them table read again? I find that having people around me can energize me, but maybe I'm just being sloppy.

Alright, Lucas aside, what do you guys think of the second teaser trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

I really like the 'look' of the film. I'm trying to be impartial. I actually think this looks like it will be really good.

Only downside is that Han Solo has gotten old, but I guess that's life, yeah?

I was just going to post that. :)

Anyway, the phrase, "Chewie, we're home", seems to be getting iconic, as the trailer makes its way all over the internet. That said, it shows nothing except action scenes, and the best sci-fi is action with a thought experiment. JJ Abrams hasn't given me any confidence in his ability to engage in thought experiments.

The NY Times has an article on how Lucasfilm has been in touch with its fan base, unlike the other studios. I don't know about other studios, but this one has been loyal to its fans. In the 1980's Lucas apparently told Starlog - a fan magazine of that era - that he would never give an interview to People Magazine, because he was loyal to the fans who gave him his empire.

This new teaser actually has me excited! That last teaser seemed indiscernible from a fake fan trailer

Back