• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

LED lightss

LED par lighting

Two problems with this type light:

Very low output, an LED parcan which can output the same as a 500w conventional will cost nearly a grand.

Color is uneven.

If you are looking for an LED solution, look at LED panels made for video or photography. These are already color balances and provide an even wash.

The light you're looking at is made of entertainment purposes and if you noticed, needs to be hazed just to get any impact at all.

hi,

Please check this out :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwJYsp4Vr64

what do you think of this light source? I know its more for party purposes, but could it be used as a daylight source? (its adjustable)

Money aside, and assuming you can get high-output LED lights, would this be a better option?

I've heard that LED lights put out significantly less heat, so maybe this would mean a more comfortable shooting environment for your actors and crew? Especially if you are shooting something very make-up and costume heavy like a sci-fi or period piece?

Money aside, and assuming you can get high-output LED lights, would this be a better option?

I've heard that LED lights put out significantly less heat, so maybe this would mean a more comfortable shooting environment for your actors and crew? Especially if you are shooting something very make-up and costume heavy like a sci-fi or period piece?

whatever you heard, youre on the right track..

I just bought a 500 LED light for $200 and I instantly resold it. the light is small and very soft. Too soft IMO. I want to have total control over my lighting and with the LED kit I can easily get beautiful soft light but i cannot get a harsh light if and when I want it. They are cool and do not throw as much light as a quartz. I love the fact that they are soft, cool and rugged.
HOWEVER....
I am going to go with two 600w quartz kits with umbrellas and an adjustable beam on a 1000w light along with some 300w incandecsent bulbs in reflectors..... I feel that will suffice for all my needs

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but Arri had some LED fresnel prototypes at a trade show recently… video of them looked very promising (but probably a little out of my price range for the time being). If they can pull it off I'll be interested to see how many big budget shoots use them in place of tungsten lamps.

I just bought a 500 LED light for $200 and I instantly resold it. the light is small and very soft. Too soft IMO. I want to have total control over my lighting and with the LED kit I can easily get beautiful soft light but i cannot get a harsh light if and when I want it. They are cool and do not throw as much light as a quartz. I love the fact that they are soft, cool and rugged.
HOWEVER....
I am going to go with two 600w quartz kits with umbrellas and an adjustable beam on a 1000w light along with some 300w incandecsent bulbs in reflectors..... I feel that will suffice for all my needs

Interesting links there... You know, what you bought there is pretty good, but Im makin my own homemade version of a SoftBank. Which basically works even better, you have more control and its cheap. I can give you a link if you need it..
And I agree, what if for some reason you need daylight light sources that kick things up a notch? Like those quartz look badass. I think im gonna invest some money in them. I really could use daylight light sources that have a bigger impact over an area (harsh light).

And I agree, what if for some reason you need daylight light sources that kick things up a notch? Like those quartz look badass. I think im gonna invest some money in them. I really could use daylight light sources that have a bigger impact over an area (harsh light).
If you want daylight sources with a kick you need to spend a small fortune - the biggest daylight source you could run off house power in the UK is a 2.5kW HMI. This will be vastly better than any tungsten light running from the same supply, but it's not going to compete with sunlight over a large area. When you start using lights bigger than this you'll either need a generator or someone who can tap into a mains supply, and all the people and hardware required to make everything run smoothly. If (like most of us) you can't afford HMI lights, shaping and directing the sun with flags, silks, bounce boards and mirrors is the closest you're going to get to competing with it.

If you want daylight sources with a kick you need to spend a small fortune - the biggest daylight source you could run off house power in the UK is a 2.5kW HMI. This will be vastly better than any tungsten light running from the same supply, but it's not going to compete with sunlight over a large area. When you start using lights bigger than this you'll either need a generator or someone who can tap into a mains supply, and all the people and hardware required to make everything run smoothly. If (like most of us) you can't afford HMI lights, shaping and directing the sun with flags, silks, bounce boards and mirrors is the closest you're going to get to competing with it.

Nope, cant really afford those yet. However, I am just gonna have to accept softer daylight light sources for now,..or maybe think of somethin of my own. I heard you can make a pretty good harsh light out of a LED lantern meant for outdoor camping. Thats my next move, along with making my own SoftBank - basically a copy of a spiderlite TD5 (which can be bought for about 900 dollars, but I aint that crazy - atleast not yet lol).

Unless you're buying LED lights specifically for video, won't be happy. We use togs exact lights in the YouTube video for little pin lights on stage and they're not bright. Great for color here and there, but awful whites.

We use bigger LED pars as well that could work, still not great white since it's mixing RGB and they have fans. Fans are a no-no on set.

An LED camping lantern probably won't be bright enough anyway. If you really want to use LED light, you need at least 1 watt bulbs, and at least 20-30 of those bulbs per fixture. The absolute cheapest I've seen are $300 (for ones without fans) and that's shipping straight from hong kong.

Now, LED for video can be great. I think the best thing they offer is the ability tom go battery operated. How's that for mobile?

Unless you're buying LED lights specifically for video, won't be happy. We use togs exact lights in the YouTube video for little pin lights on stage and they're not bright. Great for color here and there, but awful whites.

We use bigger LED pars as well that could work, still not great white since it's mixing RGB and they have fans. Fans are a no-no on set.

An LED camping lantern probably won't be bright enough anyway. If you really want to use LED light, you need at least 1 watt bulbs, and at least 20-30 of those bulbs per fixture. The absolute cheapest I've seen are $300 (for ones without fans) and that's shipping straight from hong kong.

Now, LED for video can be great. I think the best thing they offer is the ability tom go battery operated. How's that for mobile?

Hmm, sorry but what does RGB stand for?
Yeah, I want to use LED light sources, but DAYLIGHT sources in general :) . So anything thats cheap and gives a good daylight shine would be good. I can manage softer light, no worries. but its the harsh lihgt thats hard to find on the cheap side...(or make it)

Like I mentioned, im making a fixture already with many 23w bulbs which in return produce very good light(one bulb is equialent to 130 watts) . It may be soft, but its the best I got at the moment. Just gotta figure out something for harsh, direct light.

Back