Leap

Leap3NewLogoBW copy.png

Backstory:
I've completed three independent feature films, plus countless shorts and adverts. My first feature was a no budget slasher I shot in 2007 for a budget of $600 called "Wulf". It played a few festivals and then I buried it, considering it my trunk novel. In 2009, I turned my back on horror and decided to be the Christian I considered myself to be. I still wanted to make movies and had an idea to combine parkour and the last days into a movie that was ultimately called "Leap".
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 2.12.21 PM.png

I shot it in 2009 on MiniDV (a Canon ZR800) for a budget of $200. I spent three months teaching my actors parkour and they did most of their own stunts. It screened at a local theater and we sold 200 DVDs. Let's be honest though- it's bad. My heart was in the right place, wanting to share what I was finding in my own personal Bible studies with the rest of the world, but it was poorly executed.
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 2.12.32 PM.png

In 2010, I made the sequel, "Leap: Rise of the Beast". It was the first feature film shot on a Canon Rebel T2i and we only had the kit lens. The budget was $2000 and continued the story I began in the first film: a group of college kids trying to save the world while the Vatican hunts them down. My goal was to make a Christian version of the Bourne series. We had a theatrical screening for it, sold 100 DVDs and then I stuck it on YouTube in 2012 and it now has over 1.5 million views and has made over $10,000 over the past ten years. Most of that money has gone toward purchasing better equipment because hey, tax write-offs :)
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 2.12.47 PM.png

Immediately after Leap 2 came out, I wanted to do something different before finishing the story. So I wrote a supernatural Christian thriller but everyone kept begging me to do Leap 3 next instead. I caved and wrote the script called "Leap: Revelation". It picked up in the middle of Leap 2, followed a new parkour crew and took us to the end of the world. The only thing stopping me from shooting it was the financing. I figured that I'd need $20,000 to do the movie on a "low-budget" while paying for actors and a few key crew members. Unfortunately I never raised the funds.

The past ten years saw me being homeless, getting a dream job as a VFX supervisor, losing everything I owned (including my dog) in a house fire, rebuilding my life, getting a wife, a new dog, and moving back to Montana. Now I run my own production studio called Pyro Studios and I feel like I'm at a point where I want to revisit this material again. I've grown a lot as a person and as a filmmaker and finally feel like now is the time. I've been keeping a production journal on my computer and I'll be sharing that here.

I hope it is useful and I welcome you all along this journey.

-Chris

Ten Years Difference
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 2.16.58 PM.png

Last edited:
Lots of stuff to update with one week to go!

I'm pretty sure that I've cast the mother, unless someone who is a better fit turns up this next week. I also have a cabin location from a family from my church.

I bought a battery powered leaf blower that came with two batteries to use as a wind machine in my final scenes - which take place in the mountains, so using a generator wouldn't work. I also bought an insect fogger that is powered by Colman propane canisters. If I use mineral oil in the tank instead of bug juice, I can create a nice, non-toxic fog in the vein of "Cloud in a Can", but turned up to the max. This will let me create some really nice atmosphere in the morning shots in the mountains, as well as a scene in a graveyard at the end.

Both the father and son fish in the movie, and I do fly fish and have two rods and reels, but my second reel needed line, so I bought the cheapest line I could find. It's not good for actually fishing, but will work great on film, so that's what matters.

I spent the last week teaching a kids college class about YouTube, and now I can get back to focusing on the movie.

I posted ads both on Craigslist and a local Facebook page about needing actors and have had a ton of responses. The script is currently being reviewed by about five people and I already have an audition setup for tomorrow afternoon.

My wife has assembled a bunch of sack lunches/snack bags for the shoot. Capri Sun, cookies, chips, and fruit leather. We can add sandwiches too depending on how long the shoot day is.

I really love the final week of prep before shooting. It's always a blast to watch things start to really fall together.

My goals this week are to finish casting and secure the last few locations that we'll need and we're ready to rock!

Last edited:
Since this is a journal for me to keep track of how this all goes down, Random Update: After posting to Facebook that I'm looking for actors, a neighbor of mine actually reached out saying he was interested. The catch is that he's in a wheelchair. After thinking about it, I realized that there was a character that could easily be changed to using a wheelchair and that he would be a perfect fit for. I like the splash of color that this will add.

Auditioned a married couple yesterday to play the parents. I think they did okay, but they will need a bit of coaching on set. I worked a few scenes with them and they consistently got better, so rehearsals before each shot will be a must. Fortunately I scheduled the movie conservatively so I think we'll still make our days.

The big plus for going with these two is that they are a real couple. They manage vacation rentals out here and as such have access to some great properties. And they're really excited by what I want to do with the film. Most importantly, they have time, so I won't have to alter the schedule too much for them.

Ideally, I would have a budget and could cast actors from elsewhere and bring them in like I'm doing with the lead, but at this ultra-low budget level, that's just not an option.

I also spent an hour last night talking with the lead over the phone and ironing out last minute details. Today, I need to talk to business owners and finalize those locations. Tomorrow I need to tech scout my outdoor locations.

Good luck with the shoot! I know how much work it is to get one of these things set up, especially budget projects. Shooting days are always a really exiting part of the process, and I hope you find plenty of those moments where you get a shot in the can and it's so good you can hardly wait for people to see it. Those are kind of the moments I live for, and you always get a few each movie, sometimes a lot of them.

Good luck with the shoot! I know how much work it is to get one of these things set up, especially budget projects. Shooting days are always a really exiting part of the process, and I hope you find plenty of those moments where you get a shot in the can and it's so good you can hardly wait for people to see it. Those are kind of the moments I live for, and you always get a few each movie, sometimes a lot of them.
I'm sure I'll be posting grabs of many of the shots here as filming progresses :)

Spent yesterday and today scouting. I managed to secure a bar where the "bad guys" are making their plans. Also got a gas station where the lead will be shortly employed. Originally this was going to be the local hardware store, but I think the gas station is more "recognizable" as far as what kind of location it is. I also frequent it a lot for Redbull and IPAs, so they know me well. I also left my card with a coffee shop and thrift store. I think the thrift store is a sure thing, not sure about the coffee shop.

Then I went out and found a beautiful cemetery that will use for a funeral scene and the final scene of the film. For the funeral, I was able to get a casket 3D model and will use that instead of hiding it like I've done before. I'll just bring out my ice chest which we'll have on set every day and the actors can look at that while we shoot. I've got a couple grass packs for Blender that I can use to make grass holdouts around the casket to make it look like it's actually on the grass.

I also found a camp location for the last third of the film. Originally this was going to be at a lake, but that area was partially logged recently and they currently have a fire going on up there. Plus that lake was an hour from home. This new spot is my secret swimming hole and five minutes from the house and everything else we're shooting.

292977805_462295129235450_6305789847021490628_n.jpeg

IMG_5553.JPG.jpeg

IMG_5556.JPG.jpeg

IMG_5564.JPG.jpeg

All of these were shot with Magic Cinema Finder. It's an app for my phone that emulates the sensor and lenses on my URSA Mini 4K. This means that I can scout and know exactly what kind of framing I can get, all without having to lug the beast of a camera around. If something looks interesting, just whip out the phone and see how it looks.

Well, my actor arrives today! He should be heading this way shortly after I post this. We start shooting on Sunday.

For my own record, here's what we're working with:

CAMERA
URSA Mini 4K
Canon 24-105mm with Vari-ND filter
Canon 50mm
Canon 18-55mm (If I really need the wide angle. Not planning on it)
3 128GB cards (22 min each in RAW)
2 190wH V-mount Batteries
DJI Mavic 2 Zoom with 2 Batteries and ND filters

SOUND
AT875r mic
2 XLR cables
A bunch of black sound (moving) blankets
C-Stand with boom holder
10ft boom pole

LIGHTING
Neewer LED with 4ft softbox
3 4 bulb softboxes
3 battery powered LED panels
a small LED eyelight
2 Tin Can lights with LED bulbs (CT adjustable)
5'x7' Reflectors (gold, white, black, silver)
Large diffusion
extra C-Stand
Flag Kit
Misc Gels

MISC
Greenscreens (both popup and full cloth)
DGSS Glidecam with Cowboy Studio Vest & Arm
Tripod
Mattebox w/Follow Focus
Shoulder Rig
3 Stingers
3 Triple Taps
C-47's
Black Wrap
100' Measuring Tape
Bag of Tennis Balls (VFX Tracking)
Black and White Gaff Tape
Misc Stands
Clamps
SFX Makeup (liquid latex, bruise pallets, blood, copper scrubbies, brushes etc...)
Slate
Zoom H4n (though planning to record most sound in camera)
Leaf Blower
Bug Fogger w/Mineral Oil

I'm sure I missed a few items, but this is literally a million times more gear than I had on my previous movies. It feels like a lot to me, but I know that each piece of gear has it's place and is something that I've used or needed on previous shoots the last 12 years. We'll also have an ice chest each day with water and snacks. I think on my last film, Leap 2, we had the T2i with kit lens, two batteries, one card, a homemade diffusion made from a dollar store shower curtain, two work lights, and a tripod. That was it. It was a small, light kit that allowed us to move very fast. I had planned from the start to ADR everything, so didn't have to worry about sound. My tripod could convert into a shoulder rig, and also into a steadicam of sorts when used with rollerblades. Everything was lit from the side with the shower curtain softbox.

I'm actually looking forward to having the "proper" gear this time, but hope that it doesn't slow me down too much. I'm sure the first few days will be a testing ground.

Last edited:
Karissa left early yesterday morning to visit her family for the weekend. They're sad I couldn't come, but hey, I got a movie to make!

My lead actor, Roman Nuttbrock, and his brother rolled into town yesterday around 5pm. As they settled in, I got the BBQ going and we had my "Legendary Burgers" to kick off the shoot. After dinner, I showed them the 10 Minute Film Schools from "El Mariachi", "Roadracers", and "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" to help prepare them for how I like to shoot. They were both pretty stoked afterward. Then, because Roman's brother is really into post production, I showed them the extra feature, "Inside Troublemaker Studios", where Robert Rodriguez gives a tour of his home studio in Austin.

When it was done, I commented on how that was 20 years ago, and that now all of what he shows can be done on a single computer. They're excited, and we spent the rest of the evening talking about low budget filmmaking. When the shoot is done, the guys are headed back home where they'll shoot a short film of their own. They managed to get in contact with a local (to them) production company and have a crew of 15 people. That'll be a a bit of a culture shock after coming off Leap were the crew is myself, Roman's brother, and any actors on set.

The plan for today is to show them around the area and where we'll be filming since 99% of this movie is shot within five minutes of my place. The couple that I cast as his parents also want to have dinner with us so they can get to know him and we can all get on the same page for the movie.

Last edited:
Today was the final day of prep!

Cast the part of Hank. The dude is perfect for the role, and he thinks that he can get us a small Cessna plane for a few scenes.

The guys and I drove around and visited all the exterior locations. Bigfork makes for a beautiful backlot ;) After a short parkour workout, we took a lunch break and then I spent two hours going over all the equipment with them that we're using. We setup the camera, lights, sound, diffusion, steadicam... EVERYTHING I have. Given how scrappy this production is, they were shocked by the amount of gear that we have.

Tonight we had dinner with the main character's (character name: Blake) movie parents. She cooked us a wonderful meal, but the best part was watching the chemistry develop between Blake and them. It was like watching a family share dinner around the table - which is great because that's literally the first scene that they have together. We all shared our backgrounds and stuff like that, as well as finalized some last minute details.

Oh, and they were able to score a 7 million dollar rental property for us for their character's house, on top of using their cabin! Since they manage rentals, and are good friends with the owner, it's not a problem. So now Blake's family lives in a beautiful lake house and it didn't cost a thing since it hasn't been booked (#fireseason)

McKenna, who plays Liz, will be joining us for a short bit tomorrow to help behind the scenes too.

Final note: I feel like God is making this film happen. I don't know if I'm allowed to go into details on this forum, and I'll respect that, but some very cool, very specific things happened that led to this all is in the last week.

In any case, tomorrow is Day 01 of "Leap: A Tale of the Last Days".

Last edited:
Day 01 Complete! I woke up at 6am to get ready, take care of my dog, and then take care of my neighbor's dog. I picked up an actor at 7:30 and we headed to location to setup for our 8am start. One small problem though- it was raining and the location was outdoors since it was a fishing scene. With the cast that was scheduled, I couldn't really switch to cover set without sending someone home who had taken a day off work specifically for this.

I got on my weather app and found that Hungry Horse, MT - about 30 minutes away - was cloudy, but it wasn't raining, nor was it going to rain. We made the call to head out there.

By the time we started shooting it was 9am. We got some great drone stuff of Blake and his dad fly fishing on the Flathead River just outside of Glacier National Park! Then we packed away the drone and shot a scene where Blake's dad reprimands him for missing church. Both Roman and John did a fantastic job. We started to learn that it took a little coaching and practice, but the performances would come through. I also had the idea to start filming rehearsals without calling "Action" and that really helped a lot too since they didn't have to suddenly feel "on".

Yesterday we had added another scene to the day, but we cancelled that due to the late start that we had gotten and I'll pick that up another day, maybe even after Roman has gone back home since he's not even in it.

Tomorrow, we plan to shoot 8 pages of script here at my place, doubling for Liz's apartment.

Day 02
I woke up this morning and had to do a shoot for a client at 10am. It went off without a hitch and I was back at my place by 11:45am. Filming for Leap was set to begin at noon. My actress McKenna, who plays Liz, arrived right on time. I showed everyone the scenes from yesterday that I had edited and they all got excited. We all chipped in and started to rearrange my place to be Liz's apartment, then dragged all my gear upstairs from the garage, and started setting up the first scene. The first shot was recorded by 1pm. Shooting lasted until 5pm and we managed to record all three scenes that we had planned for the day.

The actors did a fantastic job and we totally killed the lighting, I'm super happy with how this all turned out. I've decided to run sound directly into the camera. This is saving a lot of time as we don't even have to slate, since I'm the editor and editing as we go. There were two other big time savers for today: everything was shot in the same location, and McKenna has memorized all her lines - she's completely off book! We were even able to do our second scene completely in one take, one shot. My plan is to add a slow and subtle push in post.

Our favorite scene of the day was the last one. It's the first time Blake visits Liz for a movie night at her apartment. The film she shows him is my last movie, "Leap: Rise of the Beast". The make fun of it, but talk about some of the ideas that are in it. It's about 4 pages, and we pulled it off in three takes, one for each camera angle. The key was to rehearse it a bunch first and then let the actors play the scene.

Unfortunately I need to edit my videos for my client before I can start cutting these scenes, but I'm really excited to see how they come out!

Day 03
Part One

Got a split day today. My day started off editing two of the three scenes we shot yesterday. Then at 10am, we went to the gas station to shoot two scenes: One where Blake is hired, and another where he is fired. John, who plays Hank, did a fantastic job. As far as his look, picture Larry the Cable Guy, but slimmer. Not being an actual actor, his performance was very natural. We'd rehearse the scene and both him and Blake would just be having a conversation in character. It was great!

We got done early, so now I'm at home ingesting and editing these scenes. In two hours, I'm headed to the bar where we'll film two more. This will be a first day with makeup effects, so I'm looking forward to that. I'll report back later how that goes.

Having these late start days is a little hard for Roman and his brother, but it's what allows me to edit as we go so I can make sure everything is working. If they were local, it wouldn't be a big deal because we could reshoot whenever. But I only have them for two and a half weeks, so everything has to work.

Day 03
Part Two

Wow. What an experience. Probably my favorite day shooting EVER on a movie. We started at the Garden Bar and spent about 40 minutes on makeup. The patrons were looking at us like we're crazy, same with the bar staff. Once we started shooting, it only lasted about an hour and both Hank and Trevor totally crushed it. The scene takes place after the plague of sores and involves the two men making plans to kill Trevor's son. The book "Directing Actors" really helped me with this scene. I was able to give Trevor things to think about during the scene that really helped bring it to life.

After the first scene, "Hank" suggested we shoot the garage scene at his garage. We'd just make it Hank's instead of Trevor's. We drove out to his place which fit the part perfectly. We setup and staged the scene. It's a short one page of dialogue where Hank and Trevor fight about the failed attempt to kill Blake and are at each other's throats.

It wasn't working. At all. We just couldn't get the right tone. Then we decided to change it up and have the men screaming at each other. It took a while to get it to the right level, but after two hours we did get it and it was magic! We all felt it and knew that was the take. The key was allowing Trevor to swear. My script has "shit", "damn" and "crap". The one time I scripted a "fuck", it's blocked out. I told Trevor to go for "fuck" and he did, and it unlocked the scene. The really great part about it was that doing that scene so early on and going that far gave us all permission to push ourselves for the rest of production. It was a major breakthrough where we were like, "Ahhh... We can do THIS and it's okay". I did end up burning through 20 minutes of record time to get the shot, but it was totally worth it.

Tomorrow we shoot some scenes where Blake teaches Liz parkour.

Last edited:
Day 04
The original Day 04 was a total bust. We got to location, and it just wasn't working. None of us were feeling it. Then McKenna (Liz) had to leave to take her real husband to an eye appointment, but she said she'd come back. While she was gone, Roman (Blake) and I totally re-wrote the scene from scratch and came up with something that would work so much better! By the time McKenna got back, dark storm clouds had rolled in and it began to rain (which we desperately needed), so that screwed the shoot. We toyed with shooting some other indoor scenes, but by now we had wasted six hours and I was just done with the day. I knew that if we tried to shoot something else, then I would rush and it would make for a terrible movie.

So I came up with a new plan:

We met at the school for the reworked scene at 7 am this morning. We shot for two hours and totally nailed it. Then we came back to my place and shot some action shots of Blake working out and the meet cute where he catches a glimpse of Liz and eats it right into some trash cans. That brought our schedule current. Next we started working on finishing off scenes from Liz's apartment and were done by 3 pm. I think we shot 14 pages of script today, but it helped that we shot in one room the entire time. Changing a setup literally just meant moving the camera a few feet.

My two actors did excellent. We worked and rehearsed a scene and when it felt right, we shot. I ended up filling two cards today for a total of 40 minutes of raw footage. I'm really digging having my actors know an entire scene, rather than learning a few lines at a time like I had done in the past. I find that it speeds up shooting and is much more natural.

I finally heard back from the thrift store, they're going to let me shoot there tomorrow at 9:30 am!

Day 05

Pretty good day. I had some time this morning and cut the meet-cute between Blake and Liz. It really plays well! We then shot the scene where Blake goes back to the coffee shop and vents to Liz about his family situation. We also shot the earthquake scene and the scene where Blake realizes that he's late for Mass. We managed to shoot those three scenes in basically the same location in about three hours.

A big problem we had was that we were shooting in a publics space with actual customers. People were constantly talking an very loud so we will have to ADR some of those scenes. I think it might be best to ADR an entire scene rather than single lines, but maybe an audio wiz can chime and let me know the best course of action?

After filming our scheduled scenes, we came back to my place and the actors changed into their costumes that they wear for the last third of the film when they're on the run in the mountains. I applied some basic Reel Dirt and some abrasions and we went to shoot some artwork for the posters and streaming. The location that I had planned to use was unfortunately blocked off by a gate today, so we went to a backup location I had in mind that ended up working even better! The lighting was perfect, the scenery epic. My idea for the poster is to have the two leads standing among a river of blood in the mountains, and a rainbow of light emanating from the top of the poster, representing the second coming of Jesus.

The big bummer though about the original location was that I had been planing to film there next week. It's a public park, but it's managed by someone. I need to find out who and figure out if I can still shoot there. Otherwise I need an alternative plan. I can't shoot where we did the photoshoot because we would be in direct sunlight all day and my camera won't like that. Neither will us humans. It's a half mile hike in, we don't have the luxury of bringing shade with us.

Day 06

Today we started off by hitting up a Laser Therapy place to double as a hospital. It was a single, slow motion shot of a doctor giving the family some bad news. We got it in three takes.

Then we had the actors change into funeral clothes and shot at a local cemetery. We filmed the scene using an ice chest and tennis balls as placeholders for a casket that I'll be adding digitally later. Then we also shot a scene where Blake's father, drunk and angry, starts a fight with him before storming off.

It was an emotional day, but a good one.

We had a few extras show up for the funeral, but I really could of used just one or two extra crew members to help bounce some fill into the shadows. We'll see how this all turns out.

Tomorrow we start shooting at the $7 million dollar house. I'm looking forward to that.

Last edited:
Back