• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Las Vegas IndieMeet May 22-24, 09'

This is our 5th annual IndieMeet. It's a very informal gathering, at our residence. We average about 50 - 60 people, in and out through the weekend, so there is very personable interaction. If you happen to be in the area....or not, since a couple of our guest filmmakers are from Montreal. We originally started this, because several of us, on different websites, wanted to meet face to face and make it an event.

WHAT?
A bunch of filmmaking/artist types come to Vegas, for 3 days (sometimes 8!), to mingle, eat, drink and share knowledge.

WHEN?
Memorial Day weekend - May 22nd-24th.

WHERE?
Mike and Sheila Conway's house, in N/W Las Vegas. (PM me for the address.)

COST? No charge, though last year's donations to cover the snacks/meals were deeply appreciated.

(Getting started)
2006Gettingstarted.jpg

WHAT HAPPENS?
You can attend and watch movies/demos, while roasting marshmallows (though some attendees, like PRAEY's Tiffany Sinclair, are better off, without Roasted Marshmallows! ) Better yet, get involved. Bring your short film (20 minutes or less) and we'll play it between or after features. Do you know about distribution or entertainment law? Talk about it. Present a demo. Some past demos have included making squibs, stunt sword fighting and

(click on any to see a pic)
Airsoft/Blank firearms
Greenscreen shooting
3D Imaging
Silicone molds
Making blood
Makeup application
Music for film
Cameras (Yes, that's Panasonic guru, Barry Green)
Stunt fighting
Production
etc.

Please keep topics under 20 minutes. This year, there will be an exception, as we will light, shoot, edit and apply post-fx to a scene, which covers several topics.

framingmonitor.jpg

2006Barryspeaks.jpg

2008Mario.jpg

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:

FRIDAY
6pm - Hors D' Oeuvres, meet and greet.
8:00pm - Feature movie, EXILE
9:30pm to 2am (approx.) - Short films

SATURDAY
1:00pm to 7pm - presentations, demos....and pizza!
7:30pm - Feature movie, CRAWLER (presented by sv Bell)
9:30pm - Feature movie, RECON 2023 (presented by Christian Viel)
11:15pm to 2am (approx.) - Short films

SUNDAY
1:30pm (approx.) - Indie or Holly? No need to make a choice, as several of us will be going to see TERMINATOR: SALVATION

5pm to 9pm - Barbecue and Pool party
10pm to 2am (approx.) Short films

The economy is dictating some very reasonable prices on rooms.

NEAREST LODGING:
Santa Fe Station
TEXAS STATION
Fiesta Rancho

All 3 on Rancho Drive. (All within 4 to 5 miles.) Additionally:

Cannery Hotel (7 miles, but a straight shot down Craig Rd)

And......
INDIEMEET FaceBook!

Here's a quicktime video of the 2006 IndieMeet (Give it about 30 seconds to load, on broadband.)

2006roundfire.jpg

Last edited:
I'd be there, if I wasn't working a shoot that weekend. :(

Would love to meet you guys! Let me know if your schedule opens up.

Gas is cheap, we pick up from the airport, and we don't turn away anyone with a sleeping bag. Got 6 sleepovers, already. RV parking is available and they make great wind buffers. We love hearing from knowledgable people. Like I said, this is the 5th one, if you can't make this one, there's usually next year.

The biggest response is generally from neighboring states. We have a regular Bakersfield contingent, TX, AZ, WA state and usually someone from Canada and the east coast.

I wonder if DirectorRik is booked? ;)

Less than 2 weeks away.....

3 days of indie fun. All day workshop and catch the premieres of these movies:

('Review excerpt about my latest flick)
"EXILE has all the right elements for good science fiction: monsters, androids, spaceships, but most importantly it has a good story."

-Nic Brown, bmovieman.com

EXILEposter.jpg

blocks_image_0_1.png

l_e6c320cd47474378ed5ccdb601ece89c.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, maybe I'll be there after all. Project got pushed back to June.

Just got back from Vegas from a convention, though, so pretty broke*. If I can swing it, I will.

* Damn you, Sigma Derby!
smiley_fist.gif

Hmm, maybe I'll be there after all. Project got pushed back to June.

Just got back from Vegas from a convention, though, so pretty broke..... If I can swing it, I will.

Hey, Steve- I was counting on that. (heh heh) If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. If you need a ride to/from the airport and/or a place to stay, we have room for you! We'll even feed you for 3 days. All you need is money for gas (to get here) and the TERMINATOR: SALVATION theater trip.

I have this posted on a few forums, so there is a pretty decent response. So far, there are people coming in from Bakersfield, Santa Monica and Los Angeles, CA, including a friend of mine from Lionsgate Studios and another guy who's songs have appeared on a number of Hollywood soundtracks. Other guests, would be the Montreal filmmakers (2 of the above movies), I guess Christian (RECON director) is going to ditch the last few day of Cannes, to make this meet. Some other guests coming from Texas, Washington, Arizona and Utah.

This year's presentations will include an air compressed blood cannon, a gore makeup demo from a girl who specializes in making zombies, discussion of stereoscopic filmmaking (3-D) - I don't know the guy, but he's some PHD in his field. We will light, shoot, capture, edit and add FX to a scene in real time (approx. 2 hours).

Hopefully, some others will step up with a demo ,like......... Zensteve. :D

Last edited:
The newest guest is the 7' tall, Alien Warrior Comedian, from The Last Comic Standing! This guy is a big TERRARIUM fan (my 1st sci-fi movie) and he is going to perform right after the EXILE showing, on Friday. Trust me, he's hilarious.

AlienComic.jpg

"You monkeys have such a twisted view of aliens. We cross the galaxy to be there for your Independence Day, and you people get all bent out of shape when we set off some fireworks!"

AlienComic2.jpg

Back