Large room, gonna have echo...

I am currently working on a project for my church. It is a volunteer dvd project. They want to interview people in the Sanctuary, which is very large with tile floor and really high ceilings. I am just the DP for this project but the producer is worried about sound. Our sound person has some experience but for the most part is still learning. I was wondering if there is anything I can suggest to help dampen the sound from being so echoey. My gut tells me to put a carpet underneath them and maybe hang one or two in the direction they will be talking off screen. I am not a sound guy so if anyone can give any advice to this situation please let me know. Thanks in advance.

You got the right idea, and remember, if its NOT in the frame its INVISIBLE.. so hang some blankets and what not out side of the frame.

Also, set up your shot so your mics are NOT square with any wall or flat surface, this will cut down on reflections etc.

Possibly, 2 lav mics might be good choice, one for the interviewer and the interviewee recorded on LEFT \ RIGHT inputs of the camera respectively, this will allow you to adjust the levels in POST.

You can also use a few 1 or 2 inch foam studio squares (2x2) on the floor under the mic (in front of the person) so the sound isn’t smacking off the floor and up into the mic.
You can even C-stand a few around outside of the shot like sound gobos.

If its hard core echo you can get a few quality (Thick, heavy- not the light blue sucky ones) moving quilts, and hang them doubled (like they would be over a clothes line) with a little space between each layer and a little space from the walls, so the reflected sound gets the fight taken out of it by having to travel and penetrate air-quilt-air-quilt-air-wall (then bounce back) air-quilt-air-quilt-air-and into the mic, but you would need some serious stands to do it.

-Thanks-

just clip em with a lav or use a shotgun if interviewing the group as a whole.
Your job is not to change the environment but to make any environment look and sound good.

Back