• Popcorn Points determine how popular a video is. You can click the popcorn bucket or simply react (Like, Love, etc.) and it will register a vote.

KnyaZz - Pierro

Cool shot of the Museum of Railway Engineering. That's an old Trans Siberian steam train, you don't see them too much anymore.

Last edited:
Now that's one sad clown. I like his face. Wish I understood the Russian, the song, to know a little more of the story. But still pretty cool.

to know a little more of the story.

song title

yeah, its old (30+ on scene) russian punk-rock group. And song:

A white face, a black tear, and sad eyes are full of tragedy.

People are arrogant, he hates everyone, plugs his ears if he hears someone laugh.

The eternal misfortune in heat and cold is the whole tattered suit, and the make-up is always on it.

Gloomy, gloomy - no other is given, a real genius of drama, a true Pierrot!

Chorus:
Who said that he endures Pierrot's humiliation forever?
He changed his attitude to humiliation a long time ago.
And only seemingly harmless to everyone, he sometimes seems:
Don't tease, he will remember you!

His miserable appearance sometimes angers everyone, everyone strives to give him cuffs.

But the black list is always, everywhere with it, and there are more and more crosses in the cemetery since

every day.

Chorus:

Don't tease, he will remember you

Don't tease, he will remember you...

People tease the clown, and then

"there are more and more crosses in the cemetery since every day."

So this song came out a few years after Steven Kings "It" or around the same time. Now I'm wondering if this song was written after the book became a worldwide hit, or if the book was written after King read Russian folklore, and both the song and book come from this same character?

Is Pierrot a legendary character from Russian lit? I guess I have a blind spot here.

So this song came out
no, this song from 2014 year.

But many songs of this group are based on the idea of "terrible tales"

And about Pierro. The children's film "The Adventures of Buratino" was released in the Soviet Union in 1976. He is not evil, but kind (including negative characters) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Buratino_(1975_film)

In turn, the film is based on a free translation of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (by Alexei Tolstoy https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Il_compagno_Pinocchio )

In general, the difference in mentality (too much violence and cruelty in Western literature) forced Soviet writers to create their own "free translations" of foreign works.

You can remember the Emerald City for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wizard_of_the_Emerald_City . And there, the writer Volkov, translated in free translation only the first book about Oz. The remaining five books he wrote completely from scratch, but with the same characters.

Interesting, I didn't actually know about the free translations.

I don't see why you'd need to rewrite "The Tik Tok Man of Oz" or some of those other sequels. They weren't all great, but I don't think they had so much violence or cruelty, IDK, lol, it's been quite a while since I read them.

they had so much violence
Perhaps, in the opinion of a Western person, there was a normal level of violence in them) But in the opinion of the Soviet, there was too much violence there. I will try to open the book tomorrow (I have both in Russian - both Oz and its Russian version) and give some examples. Also in the English version, the characters are very "individualistic", and not friends with each other. In the Soviet version, the characters are more friendly and mutually supportive.

And more about violence. If we compare medieval fairy tales of different peoples, then we see that, for example, in French fairy tales - every second character tries to cut off the head of another, or in some other way "outrage") In Russian fairy tales, the action is mostly peaceful, and the characters try to agree in the first place . And only then, if this does not help, they resort to violence. And then, only as a last resort.

You can compare the modern behavior of the police. If an American police officer opens fire on a criminal at any opportunity. For example, a Soviet policeman did not even carry a weapon with him. No weapons. He didn't even have a police baton.

violence or cruelty
So, ok.

About english Oz. Dorothy is an orphan. Good (or rather bad). But why? Unclear. (in the Russian version, she has both parents). OK. Further. In Oz, Toto is a voiceless dog. In the Russian Emerald City - Toto is talking. Let's just say it's trifles.

But then the Iron Lumberjack gets a heart. Does he become kind in the English version? No. In the end, he remains just as heartless. But in the Russian version - the Iron Lumberjack after gaining a heart - becomes kind. And Leo? In the English version, after the first book, Leo continues to be called - "Cowardly"! And in the Russian version, when the Cowardly Lion drinks "courage" - they begin to call him "Brave Lion"! And he is no longer cowardly, but brave in all next time!

photo_2023-07-05_19-23-41.jpg

[Frank Baum - Wonderfully Land , and right - French fairy tales]

And about fairy tales.
For example, I accidentally open the first French fairy tale that comes across. And what do we read there? Page 49 - Princess Markassa and the bird Dreadain. "The king drank and ate too much, and died of a ruptured stomach. After his death, Luduin became king of France." Bloodthirsty? But let's go further.

Page 129 - Night of four bad weather. "Here the wolves attacked the old woman and her donkey ... - Bourtumier, a wonderful knight, a golden leg remained from the old woman, four golden horseshoes remained from the donkey." What kind of horror? However, let's continue.

Page 221 - The Raven King. "Take me to the room where the Raven King pecked out my eye." Wtf?! I think it's too bloodthirsty, especially for children. There are no such bloody details in Russian fairy tales.

Now I understand why the horror genre is so popular in the West. I apologize if I offended, but I just showed the Russian view of Western literature.

So, ok.

About english Oz. Dorothy is an orphan. Good (or rather bad). But why? Unclear. (in the Russian version, she has both parents). OK. Further. In Oz, Toto is a voiceless dog. In the Russian Emerald City - Toto is talking. Let's just say it's trifles.

But then the Iron Lumberjack gets a heart. Does he become kind in the English version? No. In the end, he remains just as heartless. But in the Russian version - the Iron Lumberjack after gaining a heart - becomes kind. And Leo? In the English version, after the first book, Leo continues to be called - "Cowardly"! And in the Russian version, when the Cowardly Lion drinks "courage" - they begin to call him "Brave Lion"! And he is no longer cowardly, but brave in all next time!

photo_2023-07-05_19-23-41.jpg

[Frank Baum - Wonderfully Land , and right - French fairy tales]

And about fairy tales.
For example, I accidentally open the first French fairy tale that comes across. And what do we read there? Page 49 - Princess Markassa and the bird Dreadain. "The king drank and ate too much, and died of a ruptured stomach. After his death, Luduin became king of France." Bloodthirsty? But let's go further.

Page 129 - Night of four bad weather. "Here the wolves attacked the old woman and her donkey ... - Bourtumier, a wonderful knight, a golden leg remained from the old woman, four golden horseshoes remained from the donkey." What kind of horror? However, let's continue.

Page 221 - The Raven King. "Take me to the room where the Raven King pecked out my eye." Wtf?! I think it's too bloodthirsty, especially for children. There are no such bloody details in Russian fairy tales.

Now I understand why the horror genre is so popular in the West. I apologize if I offended, but I just showed the Russian view of Western literature.
Hey, thanks for taking the time to illustrate it for me, that's very nice of you.

I really enjoy learning about other people's perspectives, as I feel it gives me a broader and more accurate view of the world, something I no doubt need after spending a great amount of time in a few places that have a "regional mentality" that can create a distorted perception of how people are in the grand scheme.

grand scheme.
oh, I told that in the west love orphans...

1688714114174463962.jpg

1 Once there lived a lonely orphan...
2 who had 2 extraordinary friends...
3 the three of them lived happily until evil...
4 Didn't try to capture (pride lands)
5 Luckily, the @hero defeated the @villain with:
И And everyone lived happily ever after.

Last edited:
Yes, this is what we call "The Hero with 1000 faces"

If you want to create a popular adventure tale (3 Musketeers) you need 1 hero, 2 friends, 1 villain, and a setting you use to increase the scope of the stakes, (Frodo isn't in danger, Frodo's whole village is in danger, no, The entire Middle Earth is in danger) then the magic bullet.

We've all seen good versions of the formula, but there have also been really terrible ones. Mostly in kids animation.

For example. In the first dozen or so James Bond movies, James would always come up against a super genius billionaire who had built a satellite network controlled from an undersea city connected to a vast AI. Then the magic bullet was the James could punch him in the face, game over. In GI Joe, again you have a diabolical genius (all smart people are evil, and very stupid about details) who created an infinite energy source capable of teleporting armies instantly to anywhere in the world. Then he amassed, trained, and supplied those armies, put on a full metal face mask, and then the hero thwarted his plan by punching him in the face. Darth Vader administrated a galactic empire with supply chains across eons of space. But then he forgot to put armor on this one air conditioning vent that led straight to the reactor of his main base, so it just took one farmer one shot to destroy the bad guy.

I think the Campbell formula works well for entertaining people, but it kind of falls apart under any real scrutiny.

I have to give credit to "Captain America: Civil War" for introducing the concept that this whole thing might not be as simple as all that. In the films I make in the future, I think I'll at least struggle to present more nuanced stories where overcoming impossible odds doesn't seem so easy by the end. We make a big deal of the obstacles in the journey, but that last moment is always just a fistfight, or a magic object, or the worst of all, the Deus Ex Machina.

Last edited:
Back