• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Killer Squirrel

Here's our little live action cartoon, "Killer Squirrel". It's goofy!

http://www.hhhent.com/killer.php

Let me know what you all think. We are still tweaking the greenscreen shot at the end.... I am never satisfied. :) Big thanks to Jason Morris for hosting this for me.

Play KILLER SQUIRREL below....

[WM]http://www.hhhent.com/video/killersquirell.wmv[/WM]

that oughtta help...

I saw this in Cleveland a few weeks ago & thought it was very much like a live action cartoon.

Last edited:
Hey guys... Gimme feedback! :)

I need to know how this is received. It's fine if you hated it, I just want to know what you thought.

I liked it, it's comedy and it's funny. I thought it was very well done. Color on the guy at the end didn't seem right, but you said you're working on it.

hmmm. don't know why you can't play it. If this is a problem many are having, please let me know. I am working on fixing it. Thanks!

Hey I wouldn't host it if I didn' think it was GREAT!!! :) Love the concept!!! Just so everyone knows, the video does take a second to upload, but you CAN now download it to your computer if you like from the website itself. Congrats Christine on a great little project :)

Thanks

Jason Morris
www.HHHent.com

(Thanks for the download link)

Great! I was fully expecting to see a close up on a mad, rabid (maybe even zombie-like) squirrel's face right before he carried the man away to the tree, but it was still fantastically funny. I especially like the smart and comical way you grew tension with the music editing. Kudos!

:clap:

scottspears said:
Good clean fun, but where's the blood? I want blood. Lots of it.

<monty_python>

Lyrical scene of boys in white flannels and girls in pretty dresses frolicking on a lawn to the accompaniment of a piano played by one of the boys.
SUPERIMPOSED CAPTION: 'SALAD DAYS (1971) DIRECTOR SAM PECKINPAH'
The boys and girls cease frolicking and singing. Lionel enters holding a tennis racket.
Lionel Hello everybody.
All Hello Lionel.
Lionel I say what a simply super day.
All Gosh yes.
Woman It's so, you know, sunny.
Lionel Yes isn't it? I say anyone for tennis?
Julian Oh super!
Charles What fun.
Julian I say, Lionel, catch.
He throws the tennis ball to Lionel. It hits Lionel on the head. Lionel claps one hand to his forehead. He roars in pain as blood seeps through his fingers.
Lionel Oh gosh.
He tosses his racket out of frame and we hear a hideous scream. The camera pans to pick up a pretty girl in summer frock with the handle of the racket embedded in her stomach. Blood is pouring out down her dress.
Woman Oh crikey.
Spitting blood out of her mouth she collapses onto the floor clutching at Charles's arm. The arm comes off. Buckets of blood burst out of the shoulder drenching the girl and anyone else in the area. He staggers backwards against the piano. The piano lid drops, severing the pianist's hands. The pianist screams. He stands, blood spurting from his hands over piano music. The piano collapses in slow motion, shot from several angles simultaneously as per 'Zabriskie Point'. Intercut terrified faces of girls screaming in slow motion. The piano eventually crushes them to death; an enormous pool of blood immediately swells up from beneath piano where the girls are. We see Julian stagger across the frame with the piano keyboard through his stomach. As he turns the end of the keyboard knocks off the head of a terrified girl who is sitting on the grass nearby. A volcanic quantity of blood geysers upwards. Pull out and upward from this scene as the music starts again. Cut back to Philip Jenkinson.
Philip Jenkinson Pretty strong meat there from (sniff) Sam Peckinpah.
There is the sound of a burst of machine-gun fire and holes appear in Philip Jenkinson's shirt. Blood spurting from each hole in slow motion. Intercut shots from different angles.
CAPTION: 'TEE HEE'
Roll credits over Jenkinson's dying agonies. Fade out.
Voice Over (and Roller Caption) 'THE BBC WOULD LIKE TO APOLOGIZE TO EVERYONE IN THE WORLD FOR THE LAST ITEM. IT WAS DISGUSTING AND BAD AND THOROUGHLY DISOBEDIENT AND PLEASE DON'T BOTHER TO PHONE UP BECAUSE WE KNOW IT WAS VERY TASTELESS, BUT THEY DIDN'T REALLY MEAN IT AND THEY DO ALL COME FROM BROKEN HOMES AND HAVE VERY UNHAPPY PERSONAL LIVES, ESPECIALLY ERIC. ANYWAY, THEY'RE REALLY VERY NICE PEOPLE UNDERNEATH AND VERY WARM IN THE TRADITIONAL SHOW BUSINESS WAY AND PLEASE DON'T WRITE IN EITHER BECAUSE THE BBC IS GOING THROUGH AN UNHAPPY PHASE AT THE MOMENT - WHAT WITH ITS FATHER DYING AND THE MORTGAGE AND BBC 2 GOING OUT WITH MEN.'
Voice Over (and Roller Caption): 'THE BBC WOULD LIKE TO DENY THE LAST APOLOGY. IT IS VERY HAPPY AT HOME AND BBC 2 IS BOUND TO GO THROUGH THIS PHASE, SO FROM ALL OF US HERE GOOD NIGHT, SLEEP WELL, AND HAVE AN ABSOLUTELY SUPER DAY TOMORROW, KISS, KISS.'

</monty_python>

Taken from Episode 33... http://www.ibras.dk/montypython/justthewords.htm :lol:

Keep those reviews coming. :)

Thanks for the kind words guys.

All kudos for music go to the incomparable Mr. Aryavarta Kumar. This is the third project I have worked on with him. He never fails to completely blow me away. Since this was essentially a silent film, the music needed to be just right. Much discussion was had about a 'Jaws-like' theme. Had to evoke that feeling, but not be copyrighted music. Each 'scene' of the short needed its own theme; the opening has the classical piece (need to add that title in the credits), the 'Rambo' sequence, the 'Terminator' sequence, the 'Jaws' sequence and the silent movie sequence. That was basically the instruction that Arya received- that and "Elfmanesque/Tim Burtoney"... And listen to the fabulous music he delivered.

The sound effect edit was the most fun I've had in edit yet. Once I started, I found I wanted sound everywhere to drive the cartoonish elements. I think it worked.

The goal is to never show the actual squirrel, just the tail. :)

Mr. Spears- what do you think I'm doing- making a WWII zombie pic? ;) Just supposed to be a little bit of fun & fluff to while away 2:37. :)

btw- there is a 'sequel' in the works. "KSII, This Time It's Personal". That will take a long time to produce as it involves swat teams, stunt men and a lot of blood. :) Perhaps someday.

Thanks again guys. I appreicate the feedback.

Loved it!

Great work with the tail as a jaws parody!

Here's what I liked:
Music
Pace/Timing
Concept
Acting

What could use improvement:
The lighting in the garage was dark
The ending... does the squirrel drag him up a tree? I think one more shot would have done the trick- I was a tad confused.

Really great short!!! Really reminds me of old Tom & Jerry!!

Lilith said:
btw- there is a 'sequel' in the works. "KSII, This Time It's Personal". That will take a long time to produce as it involves swat teams, stunt men and a lot of blood. :) Perhaps someday.

Been there done that. :P

The sequel title was from my husband and co-conspirator in film, Chandler Chapman. I think it was originally supposed to be KSII: Revenge of the Squirrel, but he changed it recently. :)

Boz, waiting to hear what you thought of the film... :) I can take it, believe me.

Lilith said:
The sequel title was from my husband and co-conspirator in film, Chandler Chapman. I think it was originally supposed to be KSII: Revenge of the Squirrel, but he changed it recently. :)

Oh, I didn't mean the similarity in title- more the involvement of blood, stunts and the local SWAT team...

Those are fun memories...

KSII: Revenge of the Pith (as in helmet)

I'm sorry Lilith, my fault, got really busy all of the sudden (feast or famine around here I'm afraid).

Okay, disclaimer, I'm no film theory student so this all comes from me watching movies and knowing what I like and don't like. Nuf sed.

The opening shot is a dolly from left to right, then a guy mowing his lawn from left to right, then a right to left dolly? Was this intentional? Just wondering because it seemed really jarring to me.

After the sound effect of the needle across a record player, I think there should have been some silence instead of starting right in with the inner garage music. Maybe establish it better that we cut to inside the garage by showing us a little bigger shot of all the tools he's about the load up with or something like that.

When the garage door went up, why didn't you tilt up with it, perfect spot for one of those physical wipes. Unless you don't like those of course.

The man jumps from in front of the hedge to behind the hedge. I think it needed a shot in between there.

Squirrels tails don't move in sweeping motions. They're more jerky and I really think it could have been more fun if the music matched the jerky tail. I understand you wanting to make it look and sound like the shark in jaws but I think something unique would have been better.

The direction of the tail bothered me too. Seemed like the critter was stalking away from the man instead of toward him. Not sure if it was the curve or the movement or both but I got the sense the critter was moving away.

As the poor man gets dragged away, his one hand is on his tool belt as the other one flails away. I think it would have been better for both hands to be flailing.

Nothing comical about those screams! Wow, seemed real to me ;)

I was hoping for something more astonishing in the end. Like a bionic squirrel or maybe a demonic squirrel, a collection of heads at the base of the tree, a shot of the squirrel taking the poor man to hell. Just seems to fizzle out in the end story wise.

OMG love that music, very nicely done. Except for the screaming man, the acting was right on par with the tone of the movie. The sound and pictures were terrific. A nice fun little film that seemed to be on the fence about being a light comedy or a dark comedy.

Very nice effort there Lilith. Despite my nit-picking I liked your film. Just trying to help.

Stay fresh,

Boz

Boz, you demented &%#$@*&^%!!! :lol:

Like I said, I am a big girl. I can take a bad review- but yours is not a bad one at all. Just technical and style issues and questions. Thank you.

I will answer each one as you put them:

The opening shot is a dolly from left to right, then a guy mowing his lawn from left to right, then a right to left dolly? Was this intentional? Just wondering because it seemed really jarring to me.

It was purposeful on my part. I wanted to give the impression that we were looking at a whole neighborhood, not just a street. You are not the first person to ask me that one.

After the sound effect of the needle across a record player, I think there should have been some silence instead of starting right in with the inner garage music. Maybe establish it better that we cut to inside the garage by showing us a little bigger shot of all the tools he's about the load up with or something like that.

This is a question of personal style. I still like this just as it is. My one problem with this section is that in some formats, there is not enough light. Most of the time, it looks great, but every so often... Another issue we have on it is a missed comic opportunity- we should have done a shot of him zipping his fly.

When the garage door went up, why didn't you tilt up with it, perfect spot for one of those physical wipes. Unless you don't like those of course.

I like them fine, but I don't know how my DP could have done that with his steadicam rig since he was quite literally lying on the ground to get the shot we have.

The man jumps from in front of the hedge to behind the hedge. I think it needed a shot in between there.

That is why we did a dissolve in the edit. I actually really love that transition myself. Feels very cinematic to me. But I don't think we need to spoonfeed the audience everything- I like to let them think now and then.

Squirrels tails don't move in sweeping motions. They're more jerky and I really think it could have been more fun if the music matched the jerky tail. I understand you wanting to make it look and sound like the shark in jaws but I think something unique would have been better.

Ah- this is a problem of both style and substance- the tail could not move in the way a 'real' squirrel would because it was a stiff, wired, taxidermied tail- we make do with what we have.

The direction of the tail bothered me too. Seemed like the critter was stalking away from the man instead of toward him. Not sure if it was the curve or the movement or both but I got the sense the critter was moving away.

As to the "jaws' motion- think of it as a dorsal fin, which would inch back and forth as the shark snuck up. I love the motion myself, but again, you are not the first person to say that.

As the poor man gets dragged away, his one hand is on his tool belt as the other one flails away. I think it would have been better for both hands to be flailing.

Again, working with what we have- he's on a skate board being drug- his hand was there for 2 reasons- #1- it held the toolbelt up so it didn't fall under the wheels. #2- it helped very much cover the fact that he was on a skateboard. :) I thought that it helped his character as well- showing that the squirrel may have gotten most everything else, but he was hanging onto that belt!

Nothing comical about those screams! Wow, seemed real to me

I was hoping for something more astonishing in the end. Like a bionic squirrel or maybe a demonic squirrel, a collection of heads at the base of the tree, a shot of the squirrel taking the poor man to hell. Just seems to fizzle out in the end story wise.

We were adhering to concept here: the idea being that the audience never sees anything of the squirrel but the tail. It's stylistic again- not dragging the audience to the conclusion, but letting them arrive at their own. The whip pan up the tree was slowed immensely to show that he would be up in the tree. We are working on the final greenscreen shot to have his head 'drug' into the tree for better effect ( you can then safely assume that he's being saved for the winter).

OMG love that music, very nicely done. Except for the screaming man, the acting was right on par with the tone of the movie. The sound and pictures were terrific. A nice fun little film that seemed to be on the fence about being a light comedy or a dark comedy.

Again, style differences. This is why Tarantino didn't make Titanic. :) Many filmmakers, many styles. This is supposed to take you from a fluffy cartoon feel to a freaky dark Burton thing. That's exactly what we were shooting for. I thank you on behalf of Arya Kumar for the music. He's a genius.

Most everything you mentioned got a great deal of discussion in pre-prod, production and post. We made decisions on nearly every one of these items with a great deal of thought.

See, told you I can take it.:) Now go %$#@ off! :lol:

Back