Kickstarter and Indiegogo

Is it possible for me to create campaigns for both Indiegogo and Kickstarter? Indiegogo is great because I can get whatever I raise without meeting the goal. While Kickstarter seems to to be more famous or well-known.

Any tips?

Video game studios are trying this, but I don't know how viable it will be for large projects. The thing is, with Kickstarter or Indiegogo, the contributors won't get anything back - what is needed is some sort of deal where they would get a slice of the profits, if any.

I'm actually backing the project in the article. All of the backers are getting something out of it. At minimum, we get a copy of the game for $15 (what myself and almost 18000 others are pledging). For a little more, collectors swag, and for more expensive donations (at least $1000), you get input into the game. A character or item named after you, for $5000 an in-game statue, etc...

It's great for a game, because he's selling to the end user, not someone trying to make money off of it. Ideally with crowdfunding for movies, you're doing the same thing. At $20-30 it's easy, a DVD. The more expensive ones get tricky though, people will spend at least 50 hours of their life, some upwards of 300-400 in the game, it's a part of their life so it's worth it to them to have a gun named after them. A movie though, is 90-120 minutes of your life, then maybe another 90 minutes 6 months or a year later.

Profit motive from the donor, or in that case, "investor" or profit motive of the producers behind it?

There are LOTS of successful movie campaigns on kickstarter, the highest ever (film) bringing in $360,000. That was "Blue Like Jazz". It released at SXSW a week or so ago and hits theaters nation wide in April. It, and all the other successful campaigns, are movies people want to see.

I'm a pretty huge fan of kickstarter. I know I'm probably not normal, but a few times a week I browse campaigns just for the heck of it. Some really cool stuff for sure. I actually spent over $300 there this week between some film grain (I shared in promotion), two computer games, an iPhone case that doubles as a digital wallet meaning you can leave all credit and store cards at home, and a movie I found out about here at Indietalk. All projects are something I thought was really cool, and offered a reward I wanted. Not profit potential.

GOLD PLATED POINT

... Ideally with crowdfunding for movies, you're doing the same thing. At $20-30 it's easy, a DVD. The more expensive ones get tricky though, people will spend at least 50 hours of their life, some upwards of 300-400 in the game, it's a part of their life... A movie though, is 90-120 minutes of your life, then maybe another 90 minutes 6 months or a year later.
This is a major point.

Filmmakers competing with game developers, both appealing to the 25 and under male audience.

What do each offer?
Filmmakers: 2hrs MAXIMUM of non-interactive experience for $10 - $15.
Game developers: 50hrs MINIMUM (easy 300+ hrs) of interactive experience for $10 - $60.

The competition is tough in this arena.
21714_o.gif

Just in case anyone thought I might be d!cking around on my distribution and marketing research - No. No, I am not.
We can't be bringing anything other our slickest AA game, otherwise, we're toast.

FilmGenreBubble.jpg

A2-BarrientosMichael

imageN2N.JPG

- Identify our film's precise (double) genre(s) (Tweak it to conform if you feel that can be done.)
- Determine the specific demographic that/those genres appeal to
- Locate their high frequency locations
- Make a direct appeal at those locations
- Provide a competitive product that satisfies their needs
ITREF

http://www.calstatela.edu/faculty/sfischo/media3.html
https://graphics.stanford.edu/wikis/cs448b-11-fall/A2-BarrientosMichael
http://nickredfern.wordpress.com/
http://boxofficequant.com/

Last edited:
A student/and friend of mine that graduated from Point Park University in Cinema Arts (A local university that I attended for a bit) just made his first feature that turned out pretty impressive completely using a kickstarter campaign.

They raised over 8,000 for a production in about a month and it turned out pretty good. Obviously it's not a long shot, and I think things are moving in this direction.

As serious misconception is that just because you are motivated by profits means that everyone else is too. Personally, money is one of the least important things in my life. The only reason I ever think about getting more is to make the movies I want to make.

Marketing Campaign???

Just met and exceeded our funding goal on my current Kickstarter project today, with four days left to go.

If anyone wants to check it out, here's the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stevegelder/reclining-nude-on-la-cienega

gelder

I am about to start a project at Kickstarter. I have already created the page; although I haven't launched it. This thread had me thinking. It seems that I need to know a lot of people, so I will be able to raise the fund I need to finish the film we're working on. I thought Kickstarter is a better choice, but this thread has me thinking whether I should just go with Indiegogo. Either ways, I will have to do hard promotion for the campaign. Anyway, what made you decide to go for Kickstarter and what kind of marketing campaign did you do?? I just visited your page and saw that you had a successful campaign. congratulations! I want to raise abou $18,000. I'd appreciate all the marketing tips I can get.

Thanks, finderskeepers - we had some delays mounting the play (the original theatre didn't work and other spaces were booked) but the play will finally go up the end of August at the Lillian. Yeah, the clips were solid, and we have a second project possibly ready to go, with original footage with Jann and Dana Carvey. I think that will help out, too.

chiggerstv, I had done a previous Kickstarter campaign which was not officially successful, so we didn't receive funding. I was already signed up for Amazon payments (how you collect funding if your successful, and how you get it into your bank account), so it seemed easy to set this second project up on Kickstarter.

I think if I was fundraising a large amount and felt iffy about my chances of hitting the goal number, I'd go with IndieGoGo, or one of the sites where you collect on whatever you receive, instead of having to hit the goal. But, I like Kickstarter's look and convenience of not having to set up another new account somewhere was what brought me back the second time.

You have to push it online a lot, to the point where you're sick of talking about it. Have small business cards printed up with the website for the project on it, so if you start talking to someone you can hand them one. Find websites where the regulars might like a movie of your genre, and join the conversation. (HINT: don't ask other filmmakers, we're broke, too.) Get your friends and family to re-post, re-Tweet, share for as long as they will tolerate you. Most of your funding will come in the last days of the project.

A friend of mine is currently running a project for a documentary, and is a little over a third of the way there with $27,000. She has a week to get pledged another $50K. Out Of Print If you watch this project, you might see how someone tries to make a big push in their last week. I saw a guy on Facebook push hard during the last two or three days of a project and cross a big goal in the last hours of the project. Watching some that are nearing the end, and maybe following them on Facebook or Twitter to see how they market their projects might be worth checking out.

Good luck!

gelder

I had 2 questions about this.

Can you do more than one campaign for the same projects at different phases of production? Like one campaign to raise X amount of money for principle photography and then another campaign for post? It strikes me that chopping it up would be safer.

Also, do you get to see who all your donors are and how much they pledge, so if you don't meet your goal you can contact them directly and ask them to donate what they had already pledged?

Can you do more than one campaign for the same projects at different phases of production? Like one campaign to raise X amount of money for principle photography and then another campaign for post? It strikes me that chopping it up would be safer.

Also, do you get to see who all your donors are and how much they pledge, so if you don't meet your goal you can contact them directly and ask them to donate what they had already pledged?

Yep. Many people have taken this approach.

Thanks Dreadylocks,

Are you saying yes to both questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiefilming View Post

Dreadylocks: Yep. Many people have taken this approach.

Back