• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Keep the color or go B&W? Thoughts?

After reading that thread someone posted about color films that play better or just as good in B&W, I started to think I might do B&W for this short profile piece SHERYL'S KEYOSK, but I'm not 100% sure just yet. Check out this clip at let me know your thoughts...

http://vimeo.com/27601693
Password: key0$k

Better to keep the natural colors or go "retro" with the B&W look? I like both for different reasons. Which one would you want to sit through at a festival?

Note: I'll do a better job of tweaking the levels for playback online when I upload the final down the road.

Thanks!

As I think about my own work, it appears my default is black and white. The choice to use color is conscious and simple...does the film benefit from the use of color? Lately that answer has been "yes."

For the bits I've seen of this, especially one shot you had of the shopping carts across the parking lot, I love the color and that would be reason enough for me to choose to use it.

A third option that can work well in some instances, is "leave color" (found in your CC selection in AE)

You can pick one color, and leave it, and the rest is black and white.

It's really good for getting some kick out of a cheap camera, becuase their weakness is always color.

I typically leave a primary color, but you can do whatever.

The scene in Shindlers list is probably the most famous use of this effect.

Back