• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

"Keep Dreaming" - a new Super 8 short film

Hello,
I am here to tell you about my new project, a short film titled "Keep Dreaming". I will be writing/directing/starring in this film, which is a sequel to my last. This film will be shot entirely on Super 8 B&W film and, due to film costs, I am currently trying to raise funds through an indiegogo campaign. Please help me get this film produced by making just a small contribution or simply by spreading the word. Click here to learn all about this campaign and see samples of my previous work. Thank you for your time.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keep-dreaming-a-super-8mm-short-film-fantasy-thriller#/

Good luck. I love the irony of Super 8, the affordable home movie format, now needing funding. :)

I'm not sure what those replies suggest, but Super 8 is the format I choose. If it seems like a foreign idea to shoot on Super 8, then there's a lot you can discover about it. Anyway, it has not been the affordable home movie format for many years. In addition, when I have a 3:1 shooting ratio, plus other production costs for a narrative short, and nothing to spend out-of-pocket, then this indie filmmaker does need funding. That said, this thread I only intended to be a brief announcement about my project on the off-chance someone here will be interested.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keep-dreaming-a-super-8mm-short-film-fantasy-thriller#/

I know it's been expensive for many years but I've never seen an official crowdfunding campaign for one. It says a lot that's all. Especially with the rebirth of the format. ;)

Seriously best of luck! I love the format personally.

I suppose mussonman is wondering like I am, Scarecrow, why shoot in Super 8 if you're short of funds? Isn't it cheaper to shoot with a digital camera or a phone?

I love super 8. I'm an advocate of shooting super 8. I can see how
a one word question can come off as less than welcoming and even
a bit harsh. But I, too, always wonder why people choose to shoot
film. I often make that choice.

That said...

That said, this thread I only intended to be a brief announcement about my project on the off-chance someone here will be interested.
So this is a "drive-by" request for funding.

You're not interested in joining this community? You're not interested in
answering questions about your project? You're not interested in what
others here are doing?

directorik, I do answer questions as fast as I can and I intended my promoting in this thread to be not very imposing or demanding, and separate from other projects. As for joining this community, I have registered properly, but getting to know you will take time.

why shoot in Super 8 if you're short of funds? Isn't it cheaper to shoot with a digital camera or a phone?

Why try to achieve anything you wish to have for your film? Every film is seemingly short of funds. Yes, it is cheaper to shoot with a digital camera or a phone, but if I'm directing my pet-project, it has to be on film. If Super 8 doesn't sound appealing, then there is a lot you need to discover about it. This starts to feel funny now, but if I really need to make a strong case for my campaign...well, I'm trying. ;)

I'm sorry that you feel funny Scarecrow, it just seems reasonable to ask for a strong case for a campaign when it's asking for money. I'd just like to know why you find Super 8 appealing, other than 1.It's for your pet project, & 2.There's a lot I need to discover about it. I have made a Super 8 film in the past & I liked it. But I wouldn't do it again because of the added costs.

The Super 8 accounts for 75% of your requested funding. That's a big expense you could eliminate if you shot digital. I'm not saying you should, I'm just asking why you love it so much to justify the cost. There are probably possible investors who'd like to know too. If I wanted to have that look, I could probably approximate it in post.

Indeed, first post on a forum, asking for money from the members and they have questions, is beyond fair.

Perspective for you (hypothetical): "I'm a musician, and I'm making a record. Not using protools, laying down on 2" tape and mastering to vinyl. I need your donation. No questions please, only money."

That's how it came across so glad you are more open to questions now. :)

Why try to achieve anything you wish to have for your film?
A non answer.

Why is the question "Why?" something you are avoiding? I get
that it seems we are all ganging up on you but we aren't. Those
who have responded to you are interested. Your non answers
makes us curious.

As I already said, I'm a super 8 advocate. Unlike buscando I have
shot on super 8 and will continue to do so. My interest isn't from
his perspective. Yet even after telling me you answer questions as
fast as you can you haven't answered the questions asked.

I, too, am sorry this is starting to feel funny to you. It seems to me
to be a reasonable question by fellow filmmakers. I know you don't
have the time to look through posts, but there have been several
people shooting a movie on a phone. Fellow filmmakers ask "why?".
Wouldn't you be curious about that?

My first post on this forum was to introduce myself separately. Only time will tell that I am actually interested in many other discussions with a pleasant community of indie filmmakers, so please give me that chance. I don't know why it came across as if I didn't want to answer questions, but I have always been open to questions and I believe I have answered all so far, in the most effective way I can think of. I'm not sure how to satisfy everyone at this point. I hope you have first read my campaign page fully to see if any questions have already been answered there as I did try to give much information on it.
I will say that there is nothing like the look of film and I believe it can't be replicated. I also want my films to originate on a negative or print because it is a very good archival method.

Watched Again on YT. Great Twilight Zone/Hitchcockian feel with a little The Third Man action/pacing and superior foley.

Often times people drop promos and split so there is a bit of vetting by members when they see early promo. It is indeed welcome but sometimes you get the "test" to see if you are interested in the site or even replying. I say you pass. ;)

Back