JVC Gy Hd 110u Audio noise

i have recently purchased a JVC gy hd 110u and noticed the the camera does make quite a bit of audio noise compared to other cameras such as the Sony pd170 or cannon xl1. so is this an issue with the camera or is it just a setting that i have set wrong

Audio noise... six possible problems

1) Mic to far away from the source
2) record levels too low and raising the levels is raising the noise
3) bad pre-amp (so PD150's and Sony VX2000's were notorious for high hiss levels)
4) if you use a camera's auto level for sound it can create excess hiss
5) faulty unit... either a faulty preamp or a connection issue
6) the use of unbalanced cables in an area with lots of electromagnetic interference

So... all you have to do is work though the list until you figure out whether it's poor technique, the wrong equipment, the wrong setting or a faulty camera

Excellent list clive.

Try this, xofsirhc:

Plug your shotgun mic into the input, set the levels just a
little lower than center, hole the mic about five inches
from your face and test the audio. If you get noise then it
might be the camera. If you don't then it's one of clives
other possibilities.

thank you for your help guys but it seems that my camera even with the audio gain controls all the way down it still has a hiss and when it is on for a while it starts to crackle too. the problem is that i can never get a hold of the jvc customer service

oh another thing do you thing it would be a good idea getting a new mic or should i look into getting the pre amp replaced because i am using the mic that came with the camera stock

Equipment faults have to approached systematically... if you assume that's it's the pre-amp you're entering a world of pain and expense.

So before you do that, it might be a good idea to plug in a different microphone and to use some different cables.

It's just that cracking sounds and hiss combined sounds like a dodgy cable and or a dodgy mic... or a loose connection.

The trick is to look at all the elements involved and then rule out as many as possible using basic scientific methodology.

So, you need another mic, another cable and another camera... you plug the new mic and cable into your camera and if the problem goes away you know it's your mic or cable. You then take your mic and the cable you know is OK and plug it into you camera... if that's OK, you then know it's the original cable.

A cable is always the most likely problem because it gets more abuse as is the most fragile.

Back