Just a few beginner questions about lenses.

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could clear a few things up for me. I'm a beginner and since I don't have the funds for school, I'm trying to do as much reading and learning as possible online. The thing that's confusing me though, is how lenses work with a supposedly very can-be-manual camera like the T2i for example. Everywhere I turn, I learn that each lens out there of the thousands all have different f-stops, different zooms, ect ect but it confuses me to no end how these lenses 'work' with a digital dslr.

Like, does the dslr read the lens, then give you the only settings you can get from that lens, or what?
Also, what does it mean when someone refers to a lens as 'fast' or 'slow'?

As well, I'm a bit confused about a couple things. On lenses, is the focus ring what 'moves' the depth of field from one position to the other? (like from nearer to the camera, or farther way? Example - when you see pretty lights in videos and they're all huge and blurry , the the cameraman adjusts something and they go back to normal when the dop position reaches them). Additionally, with photography, it sometimes seems that if you know what you're doing, you can accomplish one thing in many different ways. Is there any info about F-stops, distance from subject, shutter speed, the focus position, ect ect that can be combined to really save me money when buying lenses (For example, I'd rather get up in my subjects face then spend 500$ on a more expensive lens if both solves the same problem, or any sort of tricks like that.)

Basically, I'm trying to make sure a few things are correct, because I'm trying to decide on which lenses I should get, and just how many things I truly need and don't need (like I said, I'm just trying to afford one or two lenses.) I definatly already know the beginner facts about photography (shutter speed, aperture, ISO, ect ect).

Oh just one more annoying question, articles all say that DSLR's have big sensors and this helps create a better depth of field compared to camcorders. If this is the case, then how do lenses exactly relate to this already-there depth of field??

Last edited:
google is your friend.

Ill answer one of your questions, just cause Im nice..

The "Depth Of Field" is
77d46a8b41790040f6615b2a62a887ee.png

it is NOT the focus plane.

OK, just teasing..

from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field
depth of field (DOF) is the portion of a scene that appears acceptably sharp in the image. Although a lens can precisely focus at only one distance, the decrease in sharpness is gradual on each side of the focused distance, so that within the DOF, the unsharpness is imperceptible under normal viewing conditions.

The DOF is not what changes when you turn the focus wheel. What your moving is the "focus plane" or the distance at which things are in focus. How DEEP the focus is can be anywhere from a few inches to infinity. When video folks talk DOF normal were talking about getting a "shallow" depth of field look. As it turns out video cameras are VERY good at a VERY DEEP Depth of Field, and NOT good at shallow DOF, hence the move to DSLR cameras for video which have very flexible DOF, good deep and Shallow..

There is a relation between the aperature (the opening in the lens that lets light though) and the film plane (sensors in DSLR and Video Cams) and the focal length of the lens (that's the equation up there) Its much easier to understand in pictures, so dig into that wiki link and come back and ask for clarification..

doh! I get everything backwards, so see below for someone who knows what their talking about. :-)

DLSR's allow for you to actually change the lens. Most camcorders have a built in zoom - unless you are spending $5K or higher. So, DLSR's give you more choices and better lenses to work with.

One or two lenses? Hmmmmm. A fast 35mm, a fast 50mm, a 100mm and maybe a zoom would be my suggestion.

... anyhow, I think that is right ...

Last edited:
CendydRos,
You have it backwards, but I know what you mean.

A large or "deep" depth of field means EVERYTHING is in focus regardless of how far away it is, a "shallow" depth of field, means only a small range of distance is in focus, everything in front and behind that range is out of focus. Thats the "selective focus" look or DOF that us consumer video camera people covet. Its neigh impossible with a video camera to achieve shallow DOF, but with the DSLR that record video, its a piece of cake.

When you say a LARGE aperture (fast lens) will give you MORE depth of field, your factually wrong, a large aperture will REDUCE your DOF, giving you that cool movie look where only some parts of the frame are in focus.

With a DSLR any lens faster than f11 (just a guess) will allow you to achieve shallow DOF, as the ability to achieve shallow DOF is more impacted by the size of the image sensor.

The OP, if he uses a DSLR, simply needs to get lenses that are in the focal lengths he wants, the DOF is simply a mater of, like you said, opening up the aperature to get the desire depth of field. FYI: Super shallow DOF is VERY hard to work with in movies, and you dont see it all that often. A deeper DOF allows the subjects to move a bit and still be in focus. Camera men HATE razor thin DOF, as its a pain.

CSmitty, just so you learn your terminology right and dont make a common mistake i see everyday, lemme tell u that you always have depth of field. now you can have deep dop or shallow dop. ppl often seem to be thinking shallow dop is called dop.

It seems you are looking for shallow dop. piece of advice: shallow dop can be 2 shallow sometimes. im sure uve heard of the 5D Mark II. Not all, but a lot of people say that the dop on that can be too shallow and hard to work with as a result.

Research on the net and look at images from different lenses, choose the look u want for watever ur filming and go with that bc there is no "correct" lens. For eg if you take a 50mm from Nikon, Canon and Zeiss, you will get different looks. Just bc the Zeiss is more expensive does not mean it is the better lens. If for your project, the Nikkor looks better, then Nikkor is the right choice.

In the end, it is your job to find the lens that is the most appropriate for your project and vision.

Back