• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

video Is this editing?

What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

It is a blank canvas, a car painted by Andy Warhol, do you see this as editing?
No. It's painting.

Editing is the process of preparing an artist's work for publication, whether that work be the written word or a visual montage. Warhol, as you say, took a blank canvas and created a work of art; no-one went on to change or re-frame Warhol's work.

Although you could argue that curating an exhibition is equivalent to editing, a curator rarely modifies the actual pieces. In contrast, a literary or cinematic editor is essentially a craftsman in their own right, taking the component words or images provided by the artist and trimming them, re-arranging them, duplicating or deleting them, to form a complete work for presentation to the public.

I finally grasped it. The way it was asked was confusing.

One might say film editors do not get enough credit as artists. And they should be lauded like Warhol for their work. He is asking if this works as a metaphor for film editors; taking something mundane and turning it into art (which is part of the pop art movement).

His next question was, in essence, is a masterpiece "film" a masterpiece without the editor? And should they not be standing on the stage for Best Picture with the other recipients? Or receive all the credit? None?

I cracked the code lol.

I personally feel that Warhol himself could have used some editing. One of the progenitors of the modern "famous for being famous" archetype. Face it, he could have painted that car with purple polka dots, and it would have sold at auction for a fortune. Where was that appreciation when Van Gough was sawing off his ear in a wooden shack? He kept painting over masterpieces because he couldn't afford canvas.

I think Warhol was overrated.

Sorry, that came off sounding like a backlash against your comment. No such intended, I just have very strong opinions about art, and you know, everything. I wasn't actually responding to your comment, I wrote that directly after watching the video. Then after you posted "wow ok" I read your previous comment and felt like a jerk. Anyway, my apologies for the inadvertent rudeness.

I'm just getting really polarized these days against low effort celebrities making a fortune while I watch amazing creatives scramble for rent. Wasn't a Jackson Pollack fan either. But I love MC Escher.

Last edited:
Back