Is the director being unfair to me?

I am helping a friend shoot her feature film. Just so their is no confusion this is not the same person who I am acting in a short film in that I mentioned in another post. I am doing the production audio for a friend cause I owe her a favor for help she has given me before. She couldn't find a PSM/boom op, so she is using me.

But she doesn't give me any storyboards before a shoot. She is in constant contact with the DP and they have meetings all the time. The DP tells me so, and I go to him for storyboards, cause all she does is send emails saying I need to be here in two days, or be there tomorrow. That's all she gives me. I feel I could use the same treatment so it will help me record sound better. Especially since I am not a PSM at all, so I don't think it's asking too much. Otherwise I have no time to creatively prepare how to work around the shots.

I also do not know which scenes we are shooting when she emails shoot dates to me. She will describe the scene to me, but the script is not written in screenplay form. It's written just like a novel and their are no scene headings or nothing so it makes it very complicated to know which scene, when I have to do a shoot with little notice or time to prepare.

What do you think? I guess I am just venting but it is frustrating.

Last edited:
LOL, I use different shaped heads: main characters: circle and rectangle, other triangle, in case death has a role: skull...

fantastic! I am going to use that.
I'm still new to storyboarding and developing my technique.

For death i use the classic x x for the eyes.. you can keep the head shape this way. :D

If anything - I would have guessed you would get a chance to see the surroundings you'll be working in. Storyboards - eh.

They change on set. As does blocking of the actors. Audio Operators are usually stuck in the position of being fast on their feet on how to mic a scene given the shot going down.

If you're doing this professionally - then yes, you need all the sound equipment with you and have to figure it out fast on set.

If this is by chance a student set - then she's being a problem as you'll need to know how much equipment to check out and what specifically you'll need. The less the better as it won't take up space in a rental truck, or the risk of losing / damaging equipment.

I don't know if it's unfair that you're not getting access to things you'd like as a sound recordist is as much an artist as everyone else on set, but in the end it is her shoot and her call. She'll catch the shit for it having good or bad audio. And as pointed - make note of your requests being overlooked / ignored.

On the flip note - I'm inclined to believe you're dealing with a very amateur shoot. No script? That's..... yeah that's a bad sign. If it was a short. No script on a feature non-documentary?

When it's all said and done..... I'd be weary of even letting them put your name on it in any capacity. Good sound or bad.

But that's just me.

- Jow

The only thing that sounds odd is constantly being given short notice of when you be on set (if I read your post correctly). I think that would drive anyone nuts. Otherwise, the Director would not have much on set interaction with the Sound Recordist. She'd have her hands pretty full with the Actors and DP.

Okay. Well I have the script. It's just I never know what scene they are talking about since their is no scene headings and just when I think it's the right scene, it turns out it's a different one. The director is never very specific when they tell me what scene.

The footage is looking good so far. Nice editing and lighting. The only thing is, is that it's shot in 60 fps so it looks very soap opera-ish but other than that, I am glad it's turning out exceptionally.

I wanted to know the storyboards ahead of time to get ideas of where to set up sound blankets and try to get the right sounds. I don't know almost anything either and learning as much as I can, cause they couldn't get a PSM, or were just not looking. I know a lot of storyboards do not show the location but they know these locations in advance and have been there, so I thought maybe they would redraw the boards for those locations. Especially since if you get to the location only to find out that it is shaped in a way, in which your storyboards will not work, cause you can't put the camera in certain places. Why not redraw them with the location in it, once you have seen the location?

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about audio, but should boom-ops see the storyboards as well?

No, the boom-op does not see the storyboards; they are much too general and have no real bearing on the reality of the set. The boom-op spends his/her time memorizing the script. When on-set the boom-op works with the DP during blocking to understand the frame lines and shadow points.

Okay thanks, but they want me to do the sound decisions as well since it's just me. It's my equipment so I have to choose which mic and how to make it sound the best. I suppose I could tell them I am just the boom op, but no one else is making decisions and setting up blankets. Besides me it's a two person crew, the director and the camera operator who is also lighting the locations. So I figure I might as well do something and try to make it sound the best I can.

No, the boom-op does not see the storyboards; they are much too general and have no real bearing on the reality of the set. The boom-op spends his/her time memorizing the script. When on-set the boom-op works with the DP during blocking to understand the frame lines and shadow points.

Thanks for responding back! More filmmaking/audio knowledge in my head :)

I suppose I could tell them I am just the boom op, but no one else is making decisions and setting up blankets.

If you are the entire "sound team" then it's up to you to put up the sound blankets, turn off appliances, sweep floors, prepare props, prepare wardrobe, and anything else that is even remotely sound related. The smaller the crew/budget the more responsibilities you have.

You actually have to do some work, not rely on others to do it for you.

Yep that's what I am doing. I am not relying on others. I thought maybe some storyboards with the location on them would help me make decisions before I arrive. I will do my best to make them when I get there. Next shoot is tomorrow.

Though I rarely see people using them, technical storyboards normally have some resemblance of the location on them but I don't see them helping place sound blankets and other items. As Jax said, go on the recce, work it out from the location managers/scout etc... notes or work it out on the day.

Since it's a 3 man crew, it's not like everything is going to go super quick on the day. I suspect you'll have time to place your blankets and work everything else out.

Okay thanks, but they do not include me on the location scout either. I don't know where I am going until the shoot day, when they give me the location so far. The last shoot, the location was very noisy, and if I had been to the location or was told about the noise beforehand, that would have helped me to tell them to pick a different place if they could.

Back