Is it wrong to pay some but not all Crew / Cast

Been putting my Crew together for my short film...As its self funded, Budget is low...I can pay for travel / food....Is it a crappy thing to do if I pay my DoP and make up artist (cant get either to do without paying), and not pay the roles and Cast I have interest in

I would not have anyone involved if they are in it only for money. You want passionate people, not greedy people. Look for fellow filmmakers who will do it for free in order to build their portfolio. If it's a professional thing, you should save up until you can pay everyone, like a studio.

At the no budget level, it's quite common. Around here, it's usually the sound guys, gaffers, editors and the make up artists that get paid and the others get stiffed.

At the no budget level, it's quite common. Around here, it's usually the sound guys, gaffers, editors and the make up artists that get paid and the others get stiffed.

Sound is the one thing that most fledgling filmmakers are most certain to screw up, that's why you should pay a production sound person.

Your project will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience"

If your film looks terrible but has great sound, people might just think it's your aesthetic.
If your film looks great and has bad sound, people will think you're an amateur.
Sound is the first indicator to the industry that you know what you're doing.

No matter what else you do, GET THE SOUND RIGHT!!!

I sympathize with what everyone else has said. However, I do think it's worth considering the possibility that doing that is a good way to create resentments. Maybe understandable resentments. Don't listen to me, though; I have zero experience. But I'm inclined to think that if I were to pay one person, then I would try to pay every person --something. Even if the real pay is going to the DOP, makeup artist, and sound person, while everyone else gets only token pay.

But hey, if paying a token fee to everyone else keeps you from making a film at all...then that's something else to ponder. I suppose.

Sometimes you just need money to pay someone to get things done: supply and demand.
However I would always trie to treat everyone equal.
It is hard to say what is right or wrong.
Is it wrong if an A-list actor gets a few million for his role while some intern is working for free on the same set?

In the end it is your call.

I would not have anyone involved if they are in it only for money. You want passionate people, not greedy people. Look for fellow filmmakers who will do it for free in order to build their portfolio. If it's a professional thing, you should save up until you can pay everyone, like a studio.

the pool of 'talent' where im from is very limited, so finding someone too do DoP for free is impossible...and im a bit reluctant to have a novice do the role....If I can keep costs down, then I am going to pay everyone a 'day wage', but Make-up Artist / DoP will get paid extra...my Sound guy emailed offering his services for free as long as travel / food was covered which was a result as his show reel is impressive....Think its a fine line, where many do it for the love of it, but others are trying to make a career and have bills to pay

It's not wrong if you are actually unable to. Just let everyone know beforehand.

However, it may not be the best practice. People are much less likely to bail on you at the last minute if you're paying them something, even if it is a tiny, token amount. That is worth the money and wait since one person not showing up can ruin your whole shoot.

In addition, you can also try to compensate them in other ways like transportation, lodging, meals, pay up to a limited amount from any profits that may come later.

I think you are doing the right thing, derek. Unlike Velociraptor451
you understand that people who ask to be paid for their skill, talent
and time are not greedy. They are, in fact, very passionate about
their craft.

I have many times paid only some of the crew. In my area DP's are
plentiful. So for a short I find a good gaffer who wants the DP credit
and experience. Make up artists are everywhere. I pay a kit fee so
they are not paying to work on my movie.

I usually paid the AD, the scripty and the audio team. And no one
else. As you discovered sometimes a skilled audio team will be willing
to work for free - again as long as they are out of pocket. When I
could find a good scripty to work for free I'd take up that offer.

I see no downside paying those you must pay and asking favors of
everyone else. Keep it all up front. People on set WILL talk. If you
can afford a little stipend to everyone, do it. People understand that
you'll never make money on a short. I know you know, but treating
everyone with respect and being honest up front will go a long way
when you are paying some and not others.

Last edited:
BEWARE NOT PAYING STAFF IN THE UK!

In the UK, they have a law, dating back to the 1970's which says that staff wages stand ahead of all other debtors apart from the taxman and court judgments. There is a famous case of some guy in the postroom of a major American multinational who kept not paying him his wages. As it was clear he would probably never get paid, he went to court and applied for a Bankruptcy Order on the entire company. This triggered a massive run and for all the company's other creditors to close in for the kill. As a result, the y did indeed run out of cash and collapse and the bankruptcy notice held resulting in the company folding in the UK and the USA. Once it folded, the postal clerk then became one of the few who actually got paid. Yes, he los this job doing it, but the weren't paying him anyway so, what the hell!

I am recieving quite a bit of hate. I understand if the people have bills to pay. In that case, payment is good. But I believe few people on this forum and in the movie business in general do it for a living. It's difficult.

As a self-funded filmmaker, I pay only the people who absolutely require payment, and try to get as many volunteers as I can. I've never had trouble getting free actors for short productions, as there are plenty of theatre people in my city itching to break into film. I pay principals for bigger productions — after the job is fully completed. Sound is always worth paying for to make sure it gets done correctly.

Sounds like the experienced filmmakers think it's okay to not pay the rest. Sounds reasonable.

Thinking about it today, I was thinking that there's also no harm in being discrete about it. As Rik says, people WILL talk [about what they're being paid or not paid, and in comparison to their coworkers]. Still, I see no reason why you yourself can't be discrete about it; you can control how you handle that, at least. And I also see no reason why you can't ask those you pay to be discrete about being paid, or at least, be discrete about what they're being paid. Just a gentleman's agreement. They may still blab, but it might be worth trying? If they blab anyway, oh well.

I am recieving quite a bit of hate. I understand if the people have bills to pay. In that case, payment is good. But I believe few people on this forum and in the movie business in general do it for a living. It's difficult.

Don't worry: nobody here hates you.
As Direktorik said: we may disagree, but we don't hate.

Actually, we all love that you are on IT. Full of enthousiasm and plans :)

Put my Casting Call advertisement up the other day, have got a great response for my Auditions on Saturday. Mentioned on the Ad that this was an unpaid role but travel / food would be provided, as well as copy of the film....Will pay for my make up artist, DoP and Sound guy....Not ideal, but as long as im honest and up front...then actors cant complain as ive stated Casting positions are unpaid.....Worked out costs, and its coming near £700, once I take the House im renting, Audition Hall rental, props etc into consideration...but what ever it takes to get the film made in an honest way....thanks for the advice guys

Back