• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is it worth it? Imac 27"

Hey there Guys,

I am in a little dilemma here.

I am not sure weather i should stay with my PC and upgrade to about 8GB of Ram and maybe a new intel core I7 processor, and edit on Adobe Premiere CS5 or if i should get a 27" Imac Intel Core I7 and work on Final Cut Pro.

Do you think its worth it?

Is the Imac 27" I7 much better to edit DSLR footage or is it just a waste of my money?

Thanks

Good, I'm excited. I get my 27inch imac on Monday. Bumped it up to the i7 processor, 8 gigs of ram... Pricey little bugger.

I'm also dropping 1,600 dollars on CS5 production suite on Monday as well. So damn expensive!

True, you don't NEEEED it.

It might take you 3 hours to render something out. You will eventually render it. It might break down in the process. But eventually you'll get there.

BUT,

I'll take my porsche that accelerates 0 to 80 in 5 seconds and can get to that destination in 10 minutes.

I'm finally getting my MacBook Pro juiced up with 6GB of RAM and a new battery which means I can get FCP soon. Eventually I'll get a refurbished 27" iMac, but need to take on some new work before I can justify it.

I've played around on my friend's 27" and it is AWESOME. You can seriously get lost in the screen. Huge, HD, gorgeous. :)

I've played around on my friend's 27" HA! That sounds cheeky. :eek: Funny.

Last edited:
We're going to get a Final Cut Pro hackintosh soon as our 3rd editing machine with our 2 PC Adobe Premiere machines. No reason not have have the best of both worlds...

I was thinking about suggesting a Hackintosh too, but I don't know if that suits piracy or what...
Anyway, by hackintoshing your way into OSX and Final Cut, you'll save quite a bit, or get even fancier hardware. It might need a little bit of tinkering to get it up an running but its really worth it.

Back