Is it safe to show your script around even if copyrighted?

I was told by a few on here that if I show it around it could get my foot in the door better, but even if a person cannot copy the script, they can still use the same idea. If someone uses my idea before me, then mine won't be so original when I finally get around to making it into a film. Or is that not the case?

Is it safe to show your script around even if copyrighted?
Not sure how you're going to sell it if you're not going to show it! If you had the best invention in the world would you keep it to yourself or patent it and show it to as many people as possible?

True, I just thought maybe I shouldn't show it if I'm going to shoot it myself. Of course I would show it to the cast and crew, but I could show it other people in the business as well. What about showing off a script I don't plan to make anytime soon or perhaps not for a few years, depending on if a I get my other one made? Is that a good idea?

Of the 450 people who have read this thread not one person has written that they had an idea stolen or even heard of an idea being stolen so I'd assume the thing you're so scared of happening is increadibly unlikely. (this is where someone chimes in with "it happened to me and ruined my life")

Of the 450 people who have read this thread not one person has written that they had an idea stolen or even heard of an idea being stolen so I'd assume the thing you're so scared of happening is increadibly unlikely. (this is where someone chimes in with "it happened to me and ruined my life")

I once drew a cartoon of a sexy lady and a fighting robot car, some other bloke called Michael stole it and made millions.

I once drew a cartoon of a sexy lady and a fighting robot car, some other bloke called Michael stole it and made millions.

:lol:

Yeah, you're right, sorry for the over-asking, I'm just nervous I guess.

Just go for it! Take some analogical inspiration from Kevin McAllister :D you remember the quote...

"I used to have this really nice pair of rollerblades and I was afraid if I wore them, I'd wreck them... so I kept them in a box and you know what happened to them? I outgrew them. I never wore them once outside; I just wore them in my room a couple times. If you aren't gonna use your heart, then what's the difference if it gets broken? If you just keep it to yourself, maybe it'll be like my rollerblades - when you do decide to try it, it won't be any good. You should take a chance - you got nothing to lose"

Okay sure. Thanks. So what about getting treatments copyrighted? Does that do any good or does it only count legal wise, if you copy the actual script, since a treatment is more so just the ideas?

Last edited:
But wouldn't the treatment be an expression of the idea, since I write out the plot outline, in a few pages?
The treatment could be copyrighted - not the plot. For example:

You could write a treatment about homegrown terror cell of
Americans who plan to poison the water supply of a major
American city.

That doesn't mean no one can ever write a plot where a group
of American terrorists attempt to poison the water supply of a
major city.

I'm curious harmonica; I have asked two question that I am
very interested in knowing the answers to - but you have ignored
them both. Did my questions offend in some way?

No you didn't offend me. Sorry for not answering, it's just a lot of people of course ask me questions, and I try to answer them all generally, but some get lost in the shuffle. Which two questions from before are you referring to?

As Rik said, you could copyright the treatment, but it seems you are worried about people taking individual elements from your story (such as what the terrorists are fighting for) - there's nothing you can do to stop them. It's also worth remembering that even when you've written and copyrighted the final script, on the infinitesimally small chance that somebody decided to rip off the whole thing, it would take a huge amount of money and legal resources to do anything about it, which can be impractical for large, established corporations, never mind an individual just starting out. Just stop worrying and write it! :)

No you didn't offend me. Sorry for not answering, it's just a lot of people of course ask me questions, and I try to answer them all generally, but some get lost in the shuffle. Which two questions from before are you referring to?

I think Rik's referring to

What are you nervous about?

and

Where do you get this fear from?

Well I'm just nervous about something going wrong. I mean imagine if back in 95, David Fincher just started filming Seven and then right then another movie came out with a serial killer who kills using the seven deadly sins as his M.O., or something like that. Not that my script is at all like Seven, just an example.

I am just worried since I'm a newbie and wanna make a movie myself, it's just a lot of pressure on me, since it seems anything could go wrong. That's where I get the fear from.

I think the fear comes from thinking you have the best idea in the world and everyone will want to copy it. No offense meant, but I believe that is the root of the fear.

How many story ideas do you have?
Not just for this one Golden Goose, but for your whole library of feature films you'd eventually like to get around shooting?

I've got a list of about five dozen feature potential movies ranging from several no-budget high school actors shennanigans to a few dozen $20M-$40 studio standard fare to a half dozen >$120M epic hard scifi blockbusters.

Maybe I'll actually get around to getting at least one of them down in proper spec format.

In the meanwhile I'm putzin' around to learn how to shoot my own DIY no-budget features.
Writer/directors is where it's at, maaaaan!
Pitchfests are for wannabes, trekies and armchair Aranofskys!

Once I know, er... feel like I know WTH I'm doing behind the camera I'll give my first feature a stab.
When that crashes and burnes a sad little mouse fart-in-the-jungle-night death I'll probably find plenty of time to write down some of the other more saleable ideas and become my own armchair Aranofsky.

It's because I have this monster list (and I keep coming up with unique feature ideas about one every three weeks on average) I won't really mind showing some of the easiest to rip off no-budget features.

But my big babies... ?
I'm saving those just in case it turns out that I do know WTH I'm doing behind a camera.

Vintner's reserve sorta thing.

So, I ask you: How many ideas for features do you have in your whole library of feature films you'd eventually like to get around shooting?

If only a few, then that would explain why you're so afraid of divulging your vulnerable offspring.

Mammals vs. Fish.

If you birthed more offspring you'd allow the law of large numbers to save your a$$.

Put your thinking cap on, come up with four no-budget throw away films and pursue them.
Keep your Golden Goose locked up safe at home until you can establish that you know WTH you're doing and only expose yourself to losing "practice" features.

GL

I have 9. A few of them are a series though so if count the series as one, then I have 4 so far. So you're saying I should only show around a script if it's for a practice feature? I believe in practice short films, but a whole feature for practice?

Sure.

There tens of thousands of screenplays being pitched at pitchfests every year.
This year.
Last year.
The year before that.
Next year.
The year after that.
Blah blah blah.

Forests of trees are slaughtered annualy to produce mountains of sh!t that'll go nowhere, all feuled by the sincerest of expectations.

Who cares.

Everyone has ideas.
Big whoop tee do.

Yeah.
Make your practice feature or short.
Make your mistakes little.
Make your contacts that you feel will not FUBAR your Golden Goose.
Once you've cultivated the feel that you know WTH you're doing then pursue your Golden Goose feature.

I read earlier today that Terrence Malick began work on Q two decades ago, and only now has directed it as THE TREE OF LIFE.
And Cameron sat on AVATARD for at least a decade.
You can't argue either of these guys are nubes.
Experienced people wait on stuff until they can do it right.
So, the precedent has been set.
Monky see...
Monkey do.

Show around what you're not afraid of someone else ripping off.
When you know WTH you're doing you won't need to be concerned because you can get the product to market long before anyone else can.
You and me ain't quite there just yet.
Gimme a couple of years and I'll get fairly slick at it.

Back