• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is it possible to write this script idea to fit this budget?

I wrote a rough draft of a script, and I was told by some people that I showed it to, and talked about it with, that it was a really good premise for a movie, and I should consider producing and directing it as well.

If I had to use my own money, I was wondering if I could shoot it for maybe $20,000, and I do some of the post production and set duties myself to save on cost, such editing, color grading, which I had a lot more practice with lately, etc.

However, the movie is a Santa Clause type movie that would take place in that universe. So we are talking about a North pole Santa Clause type setting, and I am not sure I could cover that in that type of budget. I mean movies like Paranormal Activity were shot for a similar low budget, but not sure about a santa claus movie.

I mean I suppose I could opt for a more realistic Santa Clause universe setting and have it take place in some real cabins, and shakes and industrial buildings, and then just cut to the inside, where I would shoot in a real toy factory maybe, and not show so much of the toys close up, since most toy factories, probably do not produce a lot of everything. But it's not just toys though, since Santa would give gifts to adults as well I guess, and I could shoot in other factories, and warehouses.

It could look like a much more realistic industrial factory and warehouse setting, rather than the one people are use to watching in Christmas movies. And I live in Canada, so there is already plenty of snow around for exterior shots. And I would just have to get a really good costume designer for Santa and the elves. The elves would probably be the hardest part, besides getting reindeer. I don't know if I would need to actually show the reindeer and the sled, but audiences are probably expecting to see it at some point?

What do you think?

Last edited:
Okay thanks. I may take your suggestion on the trailer idea Walter B. Or I may take you up on your suggestion alex ma whitmer. As for that idea, I need a script first to promote, cause I don't have anyone right now, ready to go. Or I could post an add to see who responds, but what do I say in the add, if I do not have a script to shoot, yet?

And yes, of course I do not want to make a bad script on purpose, I just feel that maybe that is why I have not gotten any takers much. I wrote a short two page skit which I wanted to shoot, but I didn't get any takers when I advertised for it. Is the writing bad in the script, and that could be why people were not interested? Or is it just too short?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Xsh5O2ZFssSDFpS1lYRWJxMWM/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
You don't need a script for a fake trailer.
(I didn't have a script for the one I posted.
I only had a vague story:
A girl is send on a mission that goes bad.
We want references to The Matrix (the blue and red eggs, Morpheus, catsuit, Morpheus come fight gesture, waking up after the red egg), slowmotion running while chased by a car, gunshots, a fight.
That was the whole 'script'.

You just need a storyline, because you don't have to make the real movie.

Use your imagination and make a list of shots you would shoot to make this trailer:

Voice-over: "After living a zombie life in an office for 20 years, Jake just had enough of it"
On screen text: "Live life"
On screen text: "Embrace the unexpected"
Title: "The Ride"

Unfinished storyline:
Jake, an unhappy man with a boring desk job and a terrible boss, has had enough of it.
One day he sees 2 girls hitchhiking and suddenly decides to stop and reverse to give them a ride in stead of going to work. He finally smiles again.

You need just a dozen of shots: what shots would you use? (Consider this homework: looking forward to your reply.)

And yes, of course I do not want to make a bad script on purpose, I just feel that maybe that is why I have not gotten any takers much. I wrote a short two page skit which I wanted to shoot, but I didn't get any takers when I advertised for it. Is the writing bad in the script, and that could be why people were not interested? Or is it just too short?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Xsh5O2ZFssSDFpS1lYRWJxMWM/view?usp=sharing

The script doesn't make me want to see it on screen.
There is no drama, no tension, because we already know how it ends: the first scene gives it away.
And I don't like the story.
The whole sigar thing makes it very Freudian, the ovaries remark sounds stupid.
(And making smoking look cool is so 20th century)

It is not about the length, that is for sure.
It's just not funny, not cool, not exiting, not surprising, IMHO.
And I have no fix for you, since I just don't like the whole story.

Oh okay. thanks. I intended to ovary remark to sound funny. Stupid, but in a stupid funny way. Well I can do one of the other scripts suggested, as well as take a look at the scripts on that site. I would like to do a story that is really short, but is there such thing as too short, to the point where there is no time for a good pay off? If I cut off the first scene, will that add tension, or not really?

Is two pages two short for a story to have a beginning, middle and an end then?

I was also just curious, why is being Freudian, a bad thing?

Last edited:
Tell a story, not a joke. A lot of short films fail with the one-joke story leading to the punchline. Drawn out for a zinger. There's Vines for that. Today's attention spans won't put up with it. Don't be the kid in the lunchroom getting eyerolled. ;)

If you believe in it shoot it. At least you'll be making something. You're still on here asking questions instead of shooting something.

You keep asking people opinions you will never make anything! Someone is always going to have something to say.

Well right now I am looking for a short film script to shoot first. I need to have something that is worth shooting first, since that script is not good.

Another thing is, when it comes to the short film I made before and posted on here, a scene would call for two actors, but I wasn't able to get them both at the location at the same time. So the actors had to pretend to act with another actor, even though they were just talking to the wall. I then would cut it all together, and make it look like two actors were in the same scene.

But the actors found this difficult. If I have to do it again, while shooting a short, does anyone have any tips on how to make the process easier for them?

does anyone have any tips on how to make the process easier for them?

You get them at the same time, period. You don't sacrifice your film, you make it happen.

Well right now I am looking for a short film script to shoot first. I need to have something that is worth shooting first, since that script is not good.

Why not? Because people on a forum said so? If you believe in it shoot it. If your friends like the humor, then you have an audience. At least to make something and practice.

Since when do you listen to us anyway? :rofl:

Well I couldn't get actors to respond to the add with that script. So I need a better one. Plus I was told before not to make excuses and to shoot with what I have. And if not being able to get the actors at the same time, is what I have to deal with, I am just asking the best way to handle it, in case that problem comes up again.

Well I couldn't get actors to respond to the add with that script. So I need a better one. Plus I was told before not to make excuses and to shoot with what I have. And if not being able to get the actors at the same time, is what I have to deal with, I am just asking the best way to handle it, in case that problem comes up again.

You deal with it by getting them together at the same time. Filmmaking is making things happen. This is not something like DIYing something expensive, this is something totally in your control and doable. If they are not available you wait, or find new actors.

Is the writing bad in the script, and that could be why people were not interested? Or is it just too short?https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Xsh5O2ZFssSDFpS1lYRWJxMWM/view?usp=sharing

It is a pointless scene on its own, one that belongs in a bigger story. And it is very cliché, and poorly written.

You DO NOT need a script to find actors. You need a clear goal. 'Hi, my name is (?) and I will be makng 3 short films. Might you be intereted in looking at the scripts?'

Find a few people who are intereted, and take stock of what you have (age, sex, looks, style) and then write a story tailored to them and the locations you know you have access to.

Once you have the script/s, then start putting together a schedule for readings - you will know who is serious by when and how they show up. Go over the script, discuss it, interpret it. Let everyone have a say, even if they are 5.

It is not uncommon for Indie production companies to have a pool of actors to draw from as projects come along. They all know each other, what is expected, and are versitle and flexible.

If you don't come across as in control of the project and the time management needed to do it, few folks if any will want to follow you.

The script you have is awful. There is NOTHING for the actors to grab onto and call their own. There is no conflict, no growth, no point.

You gotta understand that the actors are also wanting to build a portfolio, and likely a reel, to promote themselves. It is a tough, tough business for them to break into. They need good stories with good roles that can showcase their talents. When they have that, they (usually) bring 100% to the table. Film is A COLLABORATIVE ART, SCIENCE AND BUSINESS. Everybody is part of the process, and everybody wants something they can take away from the time spent, ESPECIALLY when it is a zero-budget investment of time.

Last edited:
Start knocking on doors, ask neighbors if they want to be extras, or actors. Find a spot in the woods you can get to with gear and crew. Use your own backyard.

Make a list of what you know you have, and a list of what you need.

I'll offer it one last time - get me photo of one location, and two headshots (don't need to be pro) of people you know you can depend on, and I'll write a short script for you.

You have a week. I'm cutting internet soon, so now or never.

PS. if you ask me any stupid questions like 'How do I knock on doors', or 'How do I make a list?', 'What should be on the list?', etc., the deal is off.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. I have one actor I know right now who may be interested depending on what the script will be, he said. I can go out and find more. If you would like I could PM you some footage of him.

PS. if you ask me any stupid questions like 'How do I knock on doors', or 'How do I make a list?', 'What should be on the list?', etc., the deal is off.

:lol:

Okay thanks. I have one actor I know right now who may be interested depending on what the script will be, he said. I can go out and find more. If you would like I could PM you some footage of him.

I'd give him what he asked for.

A this point you need to flip the more common method of script first.

Put together an inventory of what you have, and what can get. Do you have a friend whose family has a business that you can use after hours? Café, clothing store, office, theater ?? Do you have access to a car or truck? Anyone you know have old clothes you can use for costume?

Any neighbors with pools in the backyard, or cool old out buildings? Rusty fences? A creek?

Any bike paths? Dead trees? Tree house? Alley?

All these things add authenticity to your locations and backgrounds, and can be central any one story.

Do your actors have limits (kissing, swearing, skin, fighting scenes)? Will underage actors have a parent available?

Your locations and actors are your INVENTORY to put together a film. Make a list!

Someday, you can flip this process around, and get a good script first, then scout locations and crew and cast. For now, you go off what you KNOW YOU HAVE OR CAN GET.

A

A this point you need to flip the more common method of script first.

Put together an inventory of what you have, and what can get. Do you have a friend whose family has a business that you can use after hours? Café, clothing store, office, theater ?? Do you have access to a car or truck? Anyone you know have old clothes you can use for costume?

Any neighbors with pools in the backyard, or cool old out buildings? Rusty fences? A creek?

Any bike paths? Dead trees? Tree house? Alley?

All these things add authenticity to your locations and backgrounds, and can be central any one story.

Do your actors have limits (kissing, swearing, skin, fighting scenes)? Will underage actors have a parent available?

Your locations and actors are your INVENTORY to put together a film. Make a list!

Someday, you can flip this process around, and get a good script first, then scout locations and crew and cast. For now, you go off what you KNOW YOU HAVE OR CAN GET.

A

I have bike paths, no dead trees yet, until more into the fall. I have alleys. Not sure if the one actor I might be able to get has any limits, but I think it would all depend on the script and the context of it. It's kind of like me. I don't object to doing a nude scene, but it depends on the context of the script. So I don't know if I can establish his limits without a script first.

As for underage actors, I don't know any yet. As for locations, I have pretty much all the outdoor ones you mentioned. I have a house for an indoor location, but no cafes, or bars or anything like that.

There is no pool in the house and the fence is not rusty though. There should be a creek nearby outside the city perhaps. I sent you a PM before :).

Back