Is Final Cut Pro X worth it?

I keep reading it has more accommodations for DSLRs, and I read about other features it has as well, but I'm not too familiar with all these new features. Do they really make a significant improvement?

Oh it hasn't been released yet lol. Well I don't know if I want it then. I'll just get another FCP. I've read about them, but are there any features I could need that they are lacking? What about Final Cut Studio version 3, as oppose to version 2?

Last edited:
Oh it hasn't been released yet lol. Well I don't know if I want it then. I'll just get another FCP. I've read about them, but are there any features I could need that they are lacking? What about Final Cut Studio version 3, as oppose to version 2?

If you don't already own FCS, it seems stupid to buy a soon-to-be outdated version now.

Well what's the latest one that is in right now? I can't find any info on purchasing FPC X and it was suppose to come out two days ago, but still no where to buy. And it doesn't come with a suite so far.

Last edited:
Well what's the latest one that is in right now?

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/

I can't find any info on purchasing FPC X and it was suppose to come out two days ago, but still no where to buy.

No, it wasn't. Buying Final Cut Studio now would be nothing short of moronic - at least wait and see what advantages FCP X has, and if it's not to your liking I'm sure there will be lots of people selling the current version for cheap.

Well what's the latest one that is in right now? I can't find any info on FPC X and it was suppose to come out two days ago, but still no info.

Final Cut Pro X is strongly rumored to come out next week, but there's been no official announcement besides sometime this summer. It will be released at $299. Final Cut Studio is on version 3, which was released in 2009. It is a package that includes Final Cut Pro 7, Motion 4, Soundtrack Pro 3, DVD Studio 4, Color 1.5, and Compressor 3.5. It retails for $999, but you can find it in the $700-$800 range if you look around.

I am considering it FCP studio 3 since I can't find much on FCP X. I read it that the rendering is suppose to be a lot easier, but what is rendering? I am anxious to edit some footage and make my first real short soon, but I guess I could wait to see what X has to offer. But no release date and no suite. How useful are the other programs in the suite?

Last edited:
They aren't useful at all if you don't know how to use them.

Don't buy the suite, that is nuts right now with X on the immediate horizon. If I was in your position, I would buy X and by the time you learn it, Apple will probably have the other suite programs available to purchase.

Everything about FCX will run smoother/better than the previous version. It's 64 bit, that alone is massive. The only way this won't be true is if there are major bugs right off the bat.

I heard that the new version of Final Cut was trying to merge the other programs in FC Studio into one. So features from motion, soundtrack, etc are merged into FCP X. Anyone know if this is true or am I crazy?

It's got some of the features from different programs, but not a full featured set for sure. FCX is supposed to be able to do all your basic and mid-level editing stuff in one program, for the averse editor it'll be all they need.

I never, ever get a software when it initially comes out; I'll let everyone else deal with the bugs. I'll wait until at least the second update comes out and the users groups have had their say.

I guess i could wait and see what x has to offer. It's only downloadable though. I prefer software you can buy on discs more so. In the FPC studio suite, there is DVD Pro 4. Does that help you burn DVDs to actual real DVD quality, rather than having to take it somewhere? And why is 64 bit massive?

Okay maybe the question I should have asked is which movie making software is the best and has the most features in a pack? Maybe there is something even better.

Last edited:
Looks like it could really be worth it, for me at least. I was sitting in Germany editing a huge documentary project that I'd filmed in Africa for the last 3 months when I saw the video announcement. Made me drool.

I've been editing my projects on a Macbook, which means that render times have been through the roof, but it looks like that will be significantly reduced with some of the pre-archiving and rendering that FCP X does during the Import/Capture process. And many other features that I saw would be just plain lifesavers...

I hope I have enough dough to grab a copy before I head back to Africa.

Don't buy the software that's available today just because you're impatient about the new release next week.

If you don't even know what rendering is (and Google will answer that question for you) then it's going to take you some time to get to grips with the software, certainly longer than it would take you to wait for FCP X to be released.

It sounds to me like you could manage all your editing needs, for the moment at least, with iMovie...

I looked it up on the dictionary, but it didn't list that meaning. Well I wanna invest in one that will meet all my needs for years to come. So it's coming out next week then, I was told the 16 but nothing so far. Okay I will wait for people to review it then and compare.

Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendering_(computer_graphics)

The term, while I guess originating in the 3D Art world, has also come to be applied to any change made in your project -- for example, your editing timeline in FCP -- that cannot be immediately viewed because while the information about your change is saved, the final image is not yet processed. I spend the majority of my "editing" time hitting Command-R and waiting for my clips to render, so that I can view them at proper speed/resolution. FCP X pre-processes the majority of your clips as you import them into your project -- in other words, in the very beginning of the process before you even start cutting -- and reduces render times by a buttload. That's what I'm most excited about, but there are a bunch of great features that I'd pay to have anyway.

The improved "magnetic timeline" will be a lifesaver, too. On bigger-scale editing projects, organization is the key, and anything that saves you the headache of a cluttered-looking timeline will be well worth whatever they're charging for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendering_(computer_graphics)

The term, while I guess originating in the 3D Art world, has also come to be applied to any change made in your project -- for example, your editing timeline in FCP -- that cannot be immediately viewed because while the information about your change is saved, the final image is not yet processed. I spend the majority of my "editing" time hitting Command-R and waiting for my clips to render, so that I can view them at proper speed/resolution. FCP X pre-processes the majority of your clips as you import them into your project -- in other words, in the very beginning of the process before you even start cutting -- and reduces render times by a buttload. That's what I'm most excited about, but there are a bunch of great features that I'd pay to have anyway.

The improved "magnetic timeline" will be a lifesaver, too. On bigger-scale editing projects, organization is the key, and anything that saves you the headache of a cluttered-looking timeline will be well worth whatever they're charging for it.

That sounds pretty good, I'll wait to what people have to say about it. If I get it I want changes that actually last, as oppose to programs that you need to upgrade, every two years, or choose to if you want. How many programs do you need to make a movie though? I mean say I wanted to do one with a little CGI and greenscreen, splitscreen effects. Will FPC X likely cover all that or will I need separate programs, aside from a separate CGI program probably of course.?

Last edited:
Back