• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

video iPhone 13 pro HDR Problem / too bright

Hi! Absolute noob here, but want to get into video editing more in the future, and right now have an issue with some iPhone videos.

They just seem too bright when I compare them to other videos.
I still want to use those videos. Is there a way I can fix this?
And for the future - should I turn HDR off in the settings?

I btw don’t have any video editing software yet besides iMovie and capcut.

The process for something like this involves tweaking the settings on your iphone and taking test shots.
Try it with HDR. Try it without HDR. test the different settings.

There's another setting too in iphones for the format of the video, i don't remember the exact setting off the top of my head but you have to tick a box to make the record format more friendly for editors.

Last edited:
The process for something like this involves tweaking the settings on your iphone and taking test shots.
Try it with HDR. Try it without HDR. test the different settings.

There's another setting too in iphones for the format of the video, i don't remember the exact setting off the top of my head but you have to tick a box to make the record format more friendly for editors.
What settings would you try? Where are those settings? Serious question. Hdr-alright, but whatelse could I try?

I mean after taking a video there’s settings I can change, but before?

What settings would you try? Where are those settings? Serious question. Hdr-alright, but whatelse could I try?

I mean after taking a video there’s settings I can change, but before?

Where are the video settings?
They are under Settings -> Camera

There's a bunch of options FPS, HDR, 1080P but also a submenu if you click on FORMATS

In formats there is an option for High Efficiency vs Most Compatible
You have to use Most Compatible rather than High Efficiency, so that it looks right in your editor, i'm guessing thats your problem

I have an iphone 12 so I assume they're similar menu to the 13
i'd just poke around in those camera settings and do test shots with whatever else you can find.

The other option is that you can BUY an app that gives you more control over your camera.
The built in one is kinda limited and if you spend like $5 or $10 or something i believe you get more options, i haven't actually looked into that though. you might want to look around the istore and then you will be able to manually control exposure while youre filming just like with a real cinema camera.

Last edited:
Where are the video settings?
They are under Settings -> Camera

There's a bunch of options FPS, HDR, 1080P but also a submenu if you click on FORMATS

In formats there is an option for High Efficiency vs Most Compatible
You have to use Most Compatible rather than High Efficiency, so that it looks right in your editor, i'm guessing thats your problem

I have an iphone 12 so I assume they're similar menu to the 13
i'd just poke around in those camera settings and do test shots with whatever else you can find.

The other option is that you can BUY an app that gives you more control over your camera.
The built in one is kinda limited and if you spend like $5 or $10 or something i believe you get more options, i haven't actually looked into that though. you might want to look around the istore and then you will be able to manually control exposure while youre filming just like with a real cinema camera.
Thanks, will try some changes in settings and if I can a new app.
It somebody has a recommendation on that, please let me know.

Another noob question. Why is it better to adjust things like exposure before shooting the video vs after with the average iPhone settings?

Another noob question. Why is it better to adjust things like exposure before shooting the video vs after with the average iPhone settings?

Well in one of these options you have to do extra work to correct every video file... and the other option its already fine.
Like I said before though I suspect your problem is that other setting

Thanks, will try some changes in settings and if I can a new app.
It somebody has a recommendation on that, please let me know.

Thanks, just changed to most compatible.
Should I choose 1080p HD (60fps)
Or
4K 24 or 30 fps?

I also found the function „show full HDR“, at least that’s what it says in German on my phone. Should I enable this? Could this have something to do with my issue? Edit: no, it’s in „fotos“ only I just saw.

In the camera app I can choose between hd and 4K - what should I choose?

Last edited:
24 FPS 1080P is probably fine for your needs.

Switch to 4K if you want to do stuff in post production like zoom/crop or add camera shake, etc.
4k is good for stuff like that but it also takes up more hard drive space.

Last edited:
Back