Introverted directors

I'd love to hear some thoughts on something I have been thinking about lately: can directors be introverted and anti-social and still be successful? Still properly communicate what needs to be communicated?

To me, it seems the popular depiction of a director is someone who is very outgoing, loud, and very authoritative. I know this is a shallow way to look at it, as there are many successful directors who don't fit that description, but it still feels like a quiet, introverted person (like myself) would never make it as a director.

How do you see it? Can introverted or almost anti-social directors be treated with the appropriate respect on set and get the job done, or would it be preferred to already have an outgoing personality?

Stanley Kubrick was extremely introverted. One of his closest friends would only speak to him over the phone.

I don't think being out going is all that important. If you're the director, it's not your job to make friends with everyone and have a good time. I wouldn't worry about your personality type. Do you think you could take control of situations and deal with big ego actors?

There are entirely different styles for different people, no one of them necessarily "right".

I've dealt with a few introverted directors. Their sets just tend to be a bit more heirarchical than extroverted directors. With an introverted director, it's important to augment your team with complementary personalities. Your AD cannot be introverted as well, and they'll be your mouthpiece to the crew. Mostly, an introverted director prefers to deal with three people: The AD, the Producer, and the DP. Beyond that, people can just speak to their department heads or the AD.

Good point about Stanley Kubrick.

It's not so much that I am not good at making friends, I just don't have much confidence when it comes to communicating with people, whether I actually can or not. I overthink everything and constantly second guess what I am saying to actors. I guess it's just something I'll have to get over as time goes on.

I do, however, think I have an artistic eye, and I understand the artistic side of filmmaking.

Do you think you could take control of situations and deal with big ego actors?

If I can get past the insecurities, then yes. When working on a film or any creative project, I seem to snap into a different mindset that allows me to handle those situations fairly well. I just have to get over the constant overthinking and get some confidence. :lol:

There are entirely different styles for different people, no one of them necessarily "right".

I've dealt with a few introverted directors. Their sets just tend to be a bit more heirarchical than extroverted directors. With an introverted director, it's important to augment your team with complementary personalities. Your AD cannot be introverted as well, and they'll be your mouthpiece to the crew. Mostly, an introverted director prefers to deal with three people: The AD, the Producer, and the DP. Beyond that, people can just speak to their department heads or the AD.
Agreed.

Thanks for the insight.

I don't know how the dynamic used to be, but I would guess that it's harder to be an introverted director today. If you've got a lot of money already or if you have family connections or whatever, you'll be just fine, but if you're trying to build a career from nothing you'll struggle pretty hard as an introvert. With the amount of filmmakers in the industry and films being made today it takes a lot of selling yourself and making connections with other people to get your voice heard and put yourself in a position to begin a career.

I am very introverted, so my best option for making a feature film was to fund it myself and do 90% of the work by myself. My only hope now is that I can carve my name out in the industry by letting the work speak for itself. In the mean time, I'll have to work on my social skills.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on something I have been thinking about lately: can directors be introverted and anti-social and still be successful? Still properly communicate what needs to be communicated?

I could see someone as introverted as you're describing benefiting greatly from a strong assistant director. The AD is likely going to be barking the orders on set anyway.

Ultimately, if you've got strong vision, and are able to communicate that effectively to the appropriate people on set, I don't see a huge problem with being introverted, even dramatically so.

Also, I could see this more introverted kind of director working best for certain types of film. Drama probably, romance perhaps.. Action seems a bit less likely, but still doable in the right circumstances. George Lucas always struck me as being fairly introverted, quiet, etc. Though I don't know that I'd call him anti-social. Not everyone is a wild outgoing Tarantino. Not everyone really wants to be around that kind of personality either. :)

I think the key is really building the right team, on the right project, and making magic for the silver screen.

As moonshield mentions though, if you're aiming for a gig as a working director "in the industry" you'll need to find a way to come out of your shell to network, schmooze, and whatnot.. Unless you're a phenomenal visionary, and your work is so amazing they all come to you. Most people probably aren't that lucky.

Last edited:
Introverted. Absolutely. But this separate issue you added:
I just don't have much confidence when it comes to communicating with people, whether I actually can or not. I overthink everything and constantly second guess what I am saying to actors.
Is a big issue. If you don't have much confidence when it
comes to communicating with people that will be a problem,
a director needs to communicate with people.

How many first time directors does it take to screw in a light bulb?
One. Ahhh, three. I don't know, what do you think?

No one like working with that guy.

If you don't have much confidence when it
comes to communicating with people that will be a problem,
a director needs to communicate with people.

Yeah, it is definitely something I have to work on. I actually am a good communicator, I think I just need to prove to myself that I can really do it. Maybe after doing it a few more times, I will gain more confidence. What do you think?

I think you might want to consider taking some public speaking class or something.. or maybe do community theater. Something that forces you out of your comfort zone to speak in front of people. That would help you gain the confidence you seem to be lacking.

It is absolutely crucial that you DO have confidence as a director. And it can be achieved. I'll tell you how I do it.

Think about your film. Think, think, think and think about your film. Think about your shot. Think about what you will cut to. Think about where the window is going to be relative to the actor, and you will know which side of the face will be lit. Think about what time of day it is. Maybe its night time and the window is dark. Point is, you just think your film to death from beginning to end, every second of it. You will know in your head, exactly what you want the final product to be.

Let's say I'm an expert and I come to your set to help you and then I tell you a lot of things about how to shoot your film. You should not listen to me (unless your idea is actually a mistake, as opposed to artistic difference). Your film is not about MY expert vision. It should be about YOUR vision, whatever it is that you were thinking about when you went to bed lasst night thinking about your film. Your vision doesn't have to be perfect, but it's YOUR vision. You keep doing it your non-expert way, and sooner or later, you'll get better, and you'll refine your vision.

You HAVE to know what you want. Deep inside, you'll just have to know it. When you think about your film enough, trust me, you'll know it. And when you know it, other people will feel it, and I'm telling you, they will all fall in line, and they will enjoy doing it your way, because they'll be confident that you know what you're doing. They'll stop arguing with you. But for that to happen, you HAVE to know what you want.

Do not ask for advice. It feels like a logical thing to do when you have more expereienced people around you. But don't do it. It will make people think that you don't know what you're doing. You don't want that to happen. Do all your asking before the shoot, not during the shoot. If you don't know enough experts, come here and ask. But do it BEFORE your actual shoot. Edit: That joke by Directorik about the lightbulb is as serious as it gets. The words "What do you think?" should not escape your lips during the shoot. It's about what YOU think. You're allowed to change your mind. Everybody is allowed. If you decide something you said, is not going to work, change your mind. Tell everybody "I changed my mind." It's allowed. Do not ask other people what they think.

I have to go and can't write more right now, but a quick way to get started is to go work on other people's sets. See how they do it. If you've seen how other people do it, you'll have indirect experience. Enough to argue about an issue with an expert who is opposed to something you're doing. And also, when you're thinking about your film, it'll be based on experience, and it's more likely that your thinking will be correct. If something you planned isn't working, get rid of that idea. Even if it hurts. It's all in the name of a finished final product, in a limited amount of time.

People are different. Some people command the attention of a room when they walk in, some people have to work at it. It's just the way it is. But you can command your set. It is not important that you communicate every time, WHY you are doing something. Sometimes there is not enough time. Some days will be better than others, but if you really, really work hard on your film, on every aspect of it, even aspects that other people are responsible for, you'll have more than the requisite confidence. You'll know if somebody is making a mistake, or doing something that is incongruent with something else some other person is doing, and you'll be able to do the necessary course-correction before things get ruined.

Best of luck to you. You just have to know your sh*t (go to other people's sets, watch tutorials on youtube), and know what you want. You should not care about what other people want. It's a nice thing to care about what other people want in your every day life. It's not necessary on a film set, that has time constraints.

You should not take anything I said as good advice. It's just my way of doing things. I'm generally confident about my thoughts and ideas, but I have stage fright. I was extremely afraid that I would fail to control my shoots, with so many unknown people. So far I've been happy, with even my bad days, on how things went, by the end of the day.

A couple of people don't work with me anymore. And it's alright. It's not personal. Everybody has an ego. But if other people can have egos, so can you. Don't deprive yourself of your ego, because other people have theirs. Do not joke around on your shoot too much. Sooner or later you'll say something that offends somebody. One of the people I mentioned above was offended by a joke I believe, and he was right. Have fun, but don't make unnecessary jokes.

I really do have to go now. Best of luck to you. And again, don't take anything I said as expert advice. Evaluate for yourself. Also know, that most filmmakers disagree with me on most things, and I disagree with them just as much. And it's all okay. You just have to do it your way. Let them do it their way. But always be willing to accept somebody else's argument, and change your mind. Most people are there to help you. Just believe it.

Cheers :)
Aveek

Last edited:
trueindie, thanks a lot for the time! And for the great points that I'm sure will help me in the future. I love hearing the way other people work in the productions of their films. Awesome stuff, and very helpful. :)

Do not ask for advice. It feels like a logical thing to do when you have more expereienced people around you. But don't do it. It will make people think that you don't know what you're doing.

This is golden advice. Just be sure you don't take it too far and close yourself from taking advice from all that experience your team brought with them.

I personally don't mind asking what they think, though I do suggest that you limit the amount of times that you do it.

If you decide something you said, is not going to work, change your mind. Tell everybody "I changed my mind." It's allowed.

^^ This!

It is not important that you communicate every time, WHY you are doing something.

You'll find that when you're newer you may need to explain why more often. Once you have some quality pieces of work under your belt, you'll be able to ignore the why more and more often until you get to the point where their "Why?" becomes an insult. There are always two sides to every coin. An answer to your DPs why can help him do his job better.

A couple of people don't work with me anymore. And it's alright. It's not personal. Everybody has an ego. But if other people can have egos, so can you. Don't deprive yourself of your ego, because other people have theirs. Do not joke around on your shoot too much. Sooner or later you'll say something that offends somebody. One of the people I mentioned above was offended by a joke I believe, and he was right. Have fun, but don't make unnecessary jokes.

I find this advice depends on your style. There is a local director who's style just offends people. To change that is likely to shift his ability to do his job. Minor adjustments like don't tell jokes on set are fine, but massive sweeping changes that may make you uncomfortable may compromise the quality of your work. I suggest building a team that works together well and suits your style.

You'll find that when you're newer you may need to explain why more often. Once you have some quality pieces of work under your belt, you'll be able to ignore the why more and more often until you get to the point where their "Why?" becomes an insult. There are always two sides to every coin. An answer to your DPs why can help him do his job better.

I find this advice depends on your style. There is a local director who's style just offends people. To change that is likely to shift his ability to do his job. Minor adjustments like don't tell jokes on set are fine, but massive sweeping changes that may make you uncomfortable may compromise the quality of your work. I suggest building a team that works together well and suits your style.

Yes, I agree. Everything should be done in a balanced way. Nothing should be sacred, no rule, or way of behaving. I only wrote what I wrote from my experience. It's obviously not standard for everyone. In my every day life, I'm actually quite easy going and friendly. Other than meanness, absolutely nothing bothers me. I just don't care enough about most things. So, I am kind of easy to get along with.

But on film shoots, in the very beginning, I did have issues with people who were trying to tell me how I should do things. I decided that I didn't want to listen to them. Everybody assumed that the DP knew more than I did (which I didn't believe was true). While there are legitimate DPs, and I've met some, just because somebody says s/he is a DP, doesn't mean it's true. S/he might want to be a DP, just like I want to be a director, but I'm no more a director than s/he is a DP. And I don't have to listen to him/her. The friction occurred in one of my first films. But the crew responded to me, because I had an answer to EVERY question. If they asked me why, I said because thus and so. Everybody realized very quickly that I knew more about the shoot than they did, and they just listened to me and not the DP, and then the DP stopped questioning me too. After that shoot, that DP and I have never worked together. The other person I mentioned, is buddy with this DP, and they both don't work with me. It's okay. I've now worked with enough people, and I don't get asked why anymore, and my shoots are easy for me to manage. I can now spend most of my time concentrating on the actors, which is the way I want it.

Again, this is just my experience. It's obviously not going to be true for everyone. I've never worked in a professional setting, so I can't speak to that environment either. I'm only talking about my experience, in an environment where almost nobody is paid. Sometimes the actors are paid, sometimes a member or two of the crew is paid. The people easiest to manage are the people who get paid. They're on top of everything. The people who don't get paid, you have to manage with confidence, knowledge, coffee, friendliness, etc.

Again, I'm not making any claims that I think are universal. I just wanted to provide my thoughts and my example, as just that. Hope some people got something out of it.

Cheers :)
Aveek

Edit: Also, I want to mention, that I may actually have a weird personality. If people meet me for the first time on a shoot, they might might actually think that I'm rude. One of my very good friends, who's on almost every shoot that I've done for the last five years just laughs at me and calls me a barbarian. And he's probably right. He's just the gentlest kind of Canadian you can meet, and compared to him I am a barbarian. But I'm never personal. It's all about the goal, the end product. It's not about the personalities, and I'm able to convey that effectively enough for people not to take offense, even when they're not paid. I definitely don't think I'm perfect. I'm still learning. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, it is definitely something I have to work on. I actually am a good communicator, I think I just need to prove to myself that I can really do it. Maybe after doing it a few more times, I will gain more confidence. What do you think?
Good one! You have a sense of humor - an excellent attribute for
a director.

Back