Indie stories

It's my first real thread, very exciting.

I just finished my first film as producer/director and it was a remarkable experience. It took a year and a half, everyone involved had day jobs (except the actors) and we had zero budget. I could go on and on and on and on and on...

...well, you get the picture. But I'd love to hear other people's war stories, success stories, tragedies, etc.

In the course of those 18 months, various crew did the following: refinanced a house to buy a camera and software, had two foreclosure notices on a property once coming within three days of actual repossession, lived without water for a month, suffered three broken relationships, nearly burned down an historic theater while shooting, had a film shoot interrupted by a cop on a Segway who though a fake wedding in a public area without a permit was real (didn't he see the tennis shoes on the priest? Thank god he missed the puppet peeing in the punch bowl; I think that would have given it away.)

We also had two hard drive failures, one motherboard failure, one indoor shoot in a great location with the day-for-night turned on resulting in horribly dark footage, delayed shooting several times because the lead actor kept getting paid gigs (good for him, what can you do when someone is donating their talent?) had an actress on our first day of shooting refuse to move until someone rescued an abandoned puppy that later became the director's on-again, off-again girlfriend's dog who later chewed up his son's Christmas toy, cast three different people in a part in one week, lost wardrobe, forgot wardrobe, lost a tape of adr.

We also plugged into a great pool of local talent who were more than willing to work with two unknowns on faith in a good script, got great performances, learned to capture, edit, green screen, make a dollar stretch a loooong way, built momentum and enthusiasm and finished the whole damn thing and have a local premiere in 5 days. We fixed problem scenes, touched up footage that looked flat and miserable, adapted when we had to, rewrote and streamlined.

Okay, that's the abridged version of my story, what's yours? There have to be similar experiences, funny, sad infuriating stuff. Rotten actors, bad scripts, absurd situations, jail time...what's your favorite story from your favorite project?

Were in similar boats. Me and my crew are currently in the midst of post with a screening date set for the 10th of September. We have about 4 months of work left and 2 months to do it in. It's about that time we all start freaking out.

Some of our interesting things:

- Had to cut mid-scene, grab all of our gear and haul ass to the car when we were run out of a permit-less location. One of many.

- Writer/Director sold his car to get the $$ for the camera.

- Somehow convinced a handfull of local talent that we knew what the hell we were doing. Got them to agree to work with us and give up just about every weekend for about 6 months.

- Learned how to tap into creativity that we did not know we had. Made a $10 car mount on which we mounted our $4500 camera and drove around town at speeds of 40+mph. Talk about having faith in your work.

- Made a $15 Steadiecam
- Made a $30 12ft jib arm
- Made a $20 greenscreen
- And they all worked perfectly

- Became very versed at dealing with homeless people. The homeless of Dallas are shameless.

- Almost got shot while scouting a location which was ontop of a downtown parking garage. Not cool. Not cool at all.

- While shooting that scene on top of the garage. The weather turned sour. It started drizzling, and the temp dropped to the mid 40's. Then a nice little message in red popped up on the LCD of our DVX. ATUO OFF CYLINDER LOCK. Our director just about jumped over the edge of the building. Lesson learned. Keep camera very warm. Even though we had it fully covered from the elements, the cold temps got to it. It was fine the following day.

- Learned that it never hurts to ask. We have gotten so many hookups just by asking. Our premire is at one of the most prestigous old theatres in Dallas, and we are getting to use it for free. All becasue we asked.

- Learned that some actors thnk that they are Brad Pitt even though this is their first film ever.
- Learned how to operate on no sleep.
- We have all grown to hate our day jobs and just wish someone would give us some money. Anyone?

I could go on forever.

We have been fortunate enough to not have to deal with any drive crashes thuse far [KNOCK ON WOOD.} I don't even want to imagine what that would be like to deal with.

Dang!

Any chance we could get a photo of your jib and equipment you built? That would be really interesting.

Shaw said:
Dang!

Any chance we could get a photo of your jib and equipment you built? That would be really interesting.
Most definitely.
As soon as I get some breathing room in post, I have plans to photograph all of our rigs and explain how we went about building each. I'll keep you posted.

Sounds great! I recently built a dolly and a jib arm as well so I'm rather curious to see how other peoples contraptions work :)

first off, this is a great idea for a thread.

just one of my indie stories...

i had my lead actor in a body harness which was rigged up to steel girders with a long metal wire (we were doing a stunt that required him to be pulled out of the street mere moments before he is hit by a speeding car). we had spent over an hour setting everything up and just as we were getting ready to shoot we saw the first flash...of lightning. we called the weather hotline and were told that a massive lightning storm was approaching. metal girders + metal wires + lightning = not good. but our actor had spent all day getting his nerve up for the stunt and didn't want to have to go through it all again the following weekend so he asked us to shoot right away. we got one angle shot, but then it started pissing rain so we had to call the day anyway.

www.sidekickmovie.com

victoryman said:
we had spent over an hour setting everything up and just as we were getting ready to shoot we saw the first flash...of lightning.
www.sidekickmovie.com

We were shooting a scene in a pool once, we had fog machines, great atmosphere and a tremendous lightning storm. I was the one in the water and feeling, frankly, a little squimish and was complaining that I was risking my life. The boom guy pointed out that he was essentially a lighting rod so I shut up and, in the first, middle and last rule of filmaking, we got the shot.

So the key is, don't stand near the mic guy.

...how did you build the $15 dollar steadicam? I understand you can find blueprints for steadicams on the net, but it would cost more that $15 to make it...

--spinner

Spatula said:
PVC Pipe/Wood, tripod clip, weights... doesn't work well, but works for what you pay, Spinnarino.
Yeah, Spat is right. Although we replace the PVC with a lightweight steel piping, if there is such a thing. It was a tad on the heavy side and our camera op complained like a little girl. So we actually ended up coming up with another idea that worked pretty well.

We simply took a 12" x 12" of compressed fiber board and drilled a hole dead center in which we threaded a bolt that fit perfectly into the camera's tripod attach point. This provided pretty good stability with very little movement. It allowed our camera op to get a solid, wide grip on it so he could control his moves a little better. A small camera like the dvx is way too easy to get shaky with.

As soon as we make it through post, I am gonna post a few step by step walkthroughs of the rigs we built with some pics. Just to share.

This is my directing story. I needed to use an indoor firing range to shoot a few scene. Now I live in the south where for some reason everyone is suspicious of you if you are doing a film. One place I called even told me "we don't want any of you liberal fucks coming in and messing up the place", no joke. The only way I finally got the shot was making up a fake script for a gun safety video and sending a formal proposal to a firing range about 2 hours away. I know bigger cities have give you crap for filming with out permits, but I have on more than one occation been arrested for filming. Once was for "disturbing the peace" when I was filming in a public parking garage. The other was for "endangering a minor". This involved one of my friend who was 17 at the time jumping off a 15 foot bridge, which we jump off all the time. Another time a cop threw down my camera, which I never got any state or city money for. Another time I literally had to escape the cops and lost a $100 tripod and $200 mic. The lesson I learned from all of this is that A) Southerners are paranoid for no reason and B) Southern Cops like to arrest you for no reason.

Back