• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

In Need of an LA-Based Editor: How to Find?

Miracle of miracles. Despite tremendous odds and several close calls, I shepherded my first short film through the hell that is production. We wrapped end of May. And I spent the last six weeks doing a play in Brooklyn, New York. Just returned back to Los Angeles a few days ago. All that time away has seen me enter an ideal, objective headspace to conclude this inaugural filmmaking journey. I'm ready to get this bad boy edited.

Only problem is: I know no editors. My DP was a newcomer to LA, from Philly, and therefore can't refer me to anyone local. And so I turn to this fine and highly informative forum for any suggestions or leads that readers may have.

In truth, I'm looking for an editor / mentor. Someone willing to educate and enlighten a newcomer to film as he or she helps me craft my film in post.

I'd like to start editing this project by the end of the month. Can make the script and technical details available to any interested parties. For now, here's the working synopsis of the project, entitled "Bobo Noir:"

"Bobo Noir (French for "spoiled Parisian brat") is a pastry arts dropout with a heart of gold (or opal, his birthstone). His dream: become the black John Belushi. His skill: awful-awesome. His parents -- a Sorbonne professor of 19th-century Namibian watercolors and a Montgolfier Prize Winner in toy plane aviation -- have banished him from the family olive oil fortune. But a one-way ticket to Los Angeles, and a cousin convalescing in Mexico, have given him a summer in SoCal to pursue his funnyman dreams."

Holler at me if interested -- thanks.

In truth, I'm looking for an editor / mentor. Someone willing to educate and enlighten a newcomer to film as he or she helps me craft my film in post.
I assume for no pay?

That's gonna be tough. But I feel for you. My first thought as I
read this is, "I could do it", but then I read this. Being a mentor
a crazy difficult thing. It takes a very special person. I know many
editors with skill and experience - I know very few willing to be
a mentor.

Okay, the question is how to find an editor. The two places mentioned
are good places to start. As you have already found out posting a
notice doesn't mean you will get someone right away - it can take
months. Most people looking on craigslist and mandy are looking for
job - not looking to volunteer. But they are there sometimes so you
should keep trying. And you might have to alter your time frame.
Finding not only an editor willing to work for free but to mentor, educate
and enlighten a newcomer to film in two weeks might not be a reasonable
expectation.

Hey Directorik -- I will DEFINITELY pay my editor! It's arguably the most important position in this entire filmmaking experience, alongside my DP, to whom I also provided the lion's share of our production budget.

NO WAY would I entrust my baby to a volunteer editor. No no. I wanna pay someone to partner with me and do this thing right.

When I say "mentor," I'm referring to someone willing to walk me through their process. I don't mean to impose or interfere with their work. It's just that being a first-timer, I would find it really beneficial to use this as a learning experience for myself, in addition to a strong partnership that hopefully leads to a knockout locked-picture.

I assume for no pay?

That's gonna be tough. But I feel for you. My first thought as I
read this is, "I could do it", but then I read this. Being a mentor
a crazy difficult thing. It takes a very special person. I know many
editors with skill and experience - I know very few willing to be
a mentor.

Okay, the question is how to find an editor. The two places mentioned
are good places to start. As you have already found out posting a
notice doesn't mean you will get someone right away - it can take
months. Most people looking on craigslist and mandy are looking for
job - not looking to volunteer. But they are there sometimes so you
should keep trying. And you might have to alter your time frame.
Finding not only an editor willing to work for free but to mentor, educate
and enlighten a newcomer to film in two weeks might not be a reasonable
expectation.

Hey Directorik -- I will DEFINITELY pay my editor!
I apologize for making a poor assumption. I wish you had mentioned
these facts in your first post. Since you are paying there are many
places you can look for editors in Los Angeles. I’m surprised you got
nothing from craigslist. I know several editors who look at it regularly.
I look for paid gigs there often. I hope mandy works for you.

Back