In filming, what are you good at?

I took the Generalist approach first and dabbled in everything to understand the bigger picture, but now I'm focusing on maxing out my XP in Directing & Editing. Still need some work, but my understanding of the process from an all-hat POV means I know how to make it fun for everyone involved...

We shot about 50% of a feature film in one week, shooting Sat through to Sat, camping and sleeping in domes on location in cold weather, shooting from like... 12pm (noon) until 3-4am... and the lead actor, DOP and some others commuted in from Toronto, an hour and a half away each way from set every day.

We ate oatmeal and apples and meatloaf and a variety of home-cooked food on the set. We were tired and we were exhausted. Actors slept while the girls applied make-up. The cast and crew would huddle together inside a dining tent by the heater like a pack of feral bears in between takes... but Jeremy (DOP/Cam), Alex (Boom/Audio) and I (director + etc) would be setting up the shots with barely a break most nights. At times, it would just be me out there in the sand, burying a SPFX rig and charging the air-cannon while Jeremy shone the light and Alex fondled his beer between digging.

Almost killed me near the end (and my girlfriend!), but totally worth it, because despite all the difficulties and challenges, everyone said they had an AMAZING time and we were also happy with the footage! So it was a win-win! How did it go so smooth? Because I kept it small, personal, collaborative and took all the shit jobs for myself.

Somehow, though on Day 2 or 3, on one of my end-of-night "sweeps", walking alone around the dark location looking for power cords and stray equipment, my stress just dissipated as I took on the perspective of "futureself". I ended up loving the romantic notion that my "director psuedo-personality" was some kind of sinister puppet master who created the illusion of a fun set using my own body as a lackey to set all the pieces in motion- and yet despite the struggles of a physical and organizational level, the immense stress of steering the ship, with so many counting on me- despite all that, even I had fun! That's always a good sign! And despite the extreme budget constraints on the project (we're hoping to embrace the low-budget aspect into the concept) I think it's really going to work!

One day, I'll be able to look back on it and not regret bringing my closest friends out into the middle of nowhere, forcing them to lie in a cold sand-pit at 3am, throwing corn starch in their eyes and then beating them with a dryer tube.

I can't wait until we finish this film!

Last edited:
Spatula, I think that experience is a film in and of itself. Did you tape yourself narrating the situation? My gosh what a cool documentary that would make.

I was reading this bit on Kevin Smith when he made Clerks. The shop owner let him use the place but only after hours. He said he was near dead exhausted from the work. I forget how long it took to film but I think he said he didn't sleep for a week straight.

If you and the actors can and will do that then its in the cards for you. You have to be willing...

I'm good at creating ideas and concepts that are funny or interesting only to me :)

Also I'm a decent clown as actor, not such a good actor though.

QFT!! Yes, this is what drives me too... I've had this same experience, it's amazing.

I took the Generalist approach first and dabbled in everything to understand the bigger picture, but now I'm focusing on maxing out my XP in Directing & Editing. Still need some work, but my understanding of the process from an all-hat POV means I know how to make it fun for everyone involved...

Somehow, though on Day 2 or 3, on one of my end-of-night "sweeps", walking alone around the dark location looking for power cords and stray equipment, my stress just dissipated as I took on the perspective of "futureself". I ended up loving the romantic notion that my "director psuedo-personality" was some kind of sinister puppet master who created the illusion of a fun set using my own body as a lackey to set all the pieces in motion- and yet despite the struggles of a physical and organizational level, the immense stress of steering the ship, with so many counting on me- despite all that, even I had fun! That's always a good sign! And despite the extreme budget constraints on the project (we're hoping to embrace the low-budget aspect into the concept) I think it's really going to work!

I basically wannabe a WRITER/DIRECTOR/PRODUCER but because of my budget I am forced to even camera operate and edit my films.

it is purely desire to be part of film-making as a power.

I dunno why people forget that all of things from a blank page to the screening in the cinema hall is film-making. division of labor was introduced by studios way in the 30's.

now, my objective was to have my company completely focused on producing (i.e. putting the films in the can) but after some experiences I have learnt I have at least oversee marketing myself as a producer.

simply put sometimes it is the situation,

I do think, every director and producer should know more than a thing or two about camera/lighting/editng/music. even if they are not doing it themselves.

regards,
ace.inc1

Wow! I wish my local tv station did that! I'm jealous!;)

Why don't you ask them if they do? Or if they look for volunteers?
My biggest mistake was assuming...I pass by this little station once a week and at the back of my head I would think 'I wonder if....' but thought no way. By checking them out online one day I saw they had a page that said 'classes'.
I seriously would give any and all local stations within a certain radius a call. Why not? You can just say 'I know someone who is taking production classes at a local station near their home and was wondering...

My local tv station does volunteer camera work, and I've done some of that. They don't loan out the equipment though or teach courses(that would be a blast)-I've checked. The community television is limited to local hockey games and city hall sessions- they don't have the wide range that you have, and they get a lot of volunteers, so while there is a little experience to be had, I get a lot more with my own camera(not nearly as nice as theirs though :)).

I do keep an eye out for when they upgrade equipment-see if I can get a camera for cheap :). I'd love to be where you are, with all the different shows, that would be fun.

I basically wannabe a WRITER/DIRECTOR/PRODUCER but because of my budget I am forced to even camera operate and edit my films.

it is purely desire to be part of film-making as a power.

I dunno why people forget that all of things from a blank page to the screening in the cinema hall is film-making. division of labor was introduced by studios way in the 30's.

now, my objective was to have my company completely focused on producing (i.e. putting the films in the can) but after some experiences I have learnt I have at least oversee marketing myself as a producer.

simply put sometimes it is the situation,

I do think, every director and producer should know more than a thing or two about camera/lighting/editng/music. even if they are not doing it themselves.

regards,
ace.inc1

My problem is the idea of letting other people do the work-I'm so used to doing it myself lol. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what direction I want to go-I think I could handle others doing the filming. I would take over editing though ala Lucas-direct the film and then say "I'm editing it, I know what I want:lol:"

Lighting and sound I would leave to others without too much problem, but it helps to have knowledge of a little of everything, I agree.

The other part-volunteers, cause I don't have the money to pay just yet lol. That's why forums like this are great, I'm sure more than a few films have been corraborated between a few members on the boards here.

One day, I'll be able to look back on it and not regret bringing my closest friends out into the middle of nowhere, forcing them to lie in a cold sand-pit at 3am, throwing corn starch in their eyes and then beating them with a dryer tube.

Above is the best line of this thread!

I visualize GIANT MAN EATING SAND WORMS! ARGAHGHHHA

I guess what i'm good at isn't even operational oriented. I have a wonderful mind that never seems to let me down. I tend to use the people i work with as a bouncer for ideas or possible projects to see how they react. Would love to find a way to put it on paper, then continue on from there.

Anyway, to answer your actual question, I have to say editing is the part I do best. I like how the editor in any project gets to be the one to set the rhythm of the shots, the music that goes into the film (for the most part), the way they can manipulate anything they need to to make the scene or sequence fit into the rest of the project...it's just fun. I enjoy all parts of film making though. That's probably gonna be the death of me someday; I'll want to do it all and won't be able to! :P

I have to say I feel the same way i love it all but editing is becoming my forte as I make videos and things. Even though I love to write as well and create with film...editing is probably my favorite.

It's good to wear (or have worn) multiple hats in film. A good DP will benefit from knowing how to edit. A good editor will benefit from knowing how to screen write. A good Director will benefit from acting. A good actor will benefit from all of these things...in fact the more you know about filmmaking the more you will grow, and the better your work will be.

Learn as much as you can, but don't overwhelm yourself when it comes time to shoot...surround yourself with other talented individuals who are valuable to your production.

I agree with getting talented people together and doing it. Doing without ego getting in the way is even better. I think we all can get attached to the footage we shoot, and we all should have input. But eventually, someone has to say, while being open to ideas, "this is the way we are going to do this", and everyone will be mature enough to accept that. I've seen more than a couple of projects where there were "too many editors in the booth", so to speak-one of them ended up looking like something out of Alice In Wonderland-yikes!

We can all be mature about our footage....

Right? ;)

Back