Imprefectly Finished Vs. Perfectly Unfinished

Which is right to you?

• Imperfectly Finished (get it done mistakes OK)

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Perfectly UnFinished (if it aint perfect it aint done)

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
I would say imerfectly finished because unfinished isn't complete so it cannot be perfect either. On a more practical note, you can't catch a mouse with half a trap. (Read) Can't sell an unfinished product. Well, maybe you can.

Neither option applies to me, exactly. To me, movies - like the screenplays from which they are made - are never finished, but are abandoned.

"Imperfect" on time and on budget is always preferable to "perfect" late and over budget.

Depends on if the movie makes money to make up for the lateness and over budget. I am sure there are many great movies that went way over budget and time and made a killing at the box office. Titanic and Avatar come to mind. But I am sure there are others. How about the Howard Hughes film Hells Angles. I am sure there are many other films that were budget busters and took longer than the time line wanted that were successful.

Last edited:
There's no such a thing as perfection. You can look at the same thing with different eyes or taste and you will always see the "hidden" imperfect detail. So get it done with no exaggerations, of course.

Depends on if the movie makes money to make up for the lateness and over budget. I am sure there are many great movies that went way over budget and time and made a killing at the box office. Titanic and Avatar come to mind. But I am sure there are others. How about the Howard Hughes film Hells Angles. I am sure there are many other films that were budget busters and took longer than the time line wanted that were successful.

True, however, when you're a vendor your client doesn't come back when you are late and over budget. You tell them "This is what you are going to get for your budget and time frame." If they want better it takes more money/time, but then the responsibility isn't mine if it's late and over budget.

"True, however, when you're a vendor your client doesn't come back when you are late and over budget. You tell them "This is what you are going to get for your budget and time frame." If they want better it takes more money/time, but then the responsibility isn't mine if it's late and over budget."

I guess it all depends on the situation.

There comes a time when you have to let your baby go...as long as you initially strive to reach a level of production that doesn't instantly sport tons of red flags...you can only do so much. Just make your next one better than the previous one...

Back