I'm looking for a spaceship designer.

I have no artistic sense, so I would like to know if there are any professional designers who can help me create a handful of space ships. They will be workhorses like the Galactica, not elegant like the Enterprise. And, while I'm at it, I would also like to know if there's someone who can work with clay or whatever to create an asteroid, which will have a built-in space station.

Can anyone help me? I can pay something, but not a whole lot, because I'm just an aspiring mogul, not a real one.

Do you have a college nearby? Might be something you could ask about there. I'm sure there's bound to be creative types up for a project, and they will work for experience/little money too! :)

For the asteroid I would use styrofoam. It's easy to work with, light and cheap. When you say spaceship design, do you mean interior, exterior or both? What parts of the ship(s) do you need? For workhorse type ships, look no further than the military.

For the asteroid I would use styrofoam. It's easy to work with, light and cheap.

I was thinking clay. Styrofoam would be hard to mould into an earthy substance.

When you say spaceship design, do you mean interior, exterior or both? What parts of the ship(s) do you need?

I mean the exterior - the interior would come naturally, I think.

For workhorse type ships, look no further than the military.

But the military doesn't have workhorse spaceships.

Is your spaceship terrestrial or space built? Is it intended to enter atmosphere and relaunch? Will it travel faster than light? If so, using what means of FTL propulsion? Is it earth or alien in origin? If it's space built and not intended to enter atmosphere, the design would likely be rather blocky with no flow to it's lines.

I have no artistic sense, so I would like to know if there are any professional designers who can help me create a handful of space ships. They will be workhorses like the Galactica, not elegant like the Enterprise. And, while I'm at it, I would also like to know if there's someone who can work with clay or whatever to create an asteroid, which will have a built-in space station.

Can anyone help me? I can pay something, but not a whole lot, because I'm just an aspiring mogul, not a real one.

Do you need someone to design them, or to make them?

Is your spaceship terrestrial or space built? Is it intended to enter atmosphere and relaunch? Will it travel faster than light? If so, using what means of FTL propulsion? Is it earth or alien in origin? If it's space built and not intended to enter atmosphere, the design would likely be rather blocky with no flow to it's lines.

I'll have a series of spaceships. One series will be for space use, and two - a forward-swept fighter like the X-29 and a space shuttle - will be for atmospheric use. As I write this, I'm wondering if terrestrial craft can enter a thick atmosphere like Venus or Jupiter.

JakeSully, I need someone to design them, with help from me. But the designs should be made in coordination with the team that I will be gathering to build the models.

As a former student of Architecture, I can advise you to find someone who can design it from plans and build you a model.

For a spaceship, look for a local college for industrial designers with a passion for science fiction. That would be your best bet.

OK, I've posted a call for an artist/concept designer. These are the people who draw concepts for comic books and video games.

How big do miniatures have to be before they look realistic on film, do you know?

I saw the making of Lost In Space some time ago and remember Bill Mummy showing the 4 different size models they used for various shots in the production.

My prop master is building a model ship around 10 inches long and it will have working interior lights. For a scene that will be a battle in space with the silver demon mother ship, the whole scene will most likely be CGIed and the 3D artist will be given photos of Andromeda (the spaceship) of all different angles of the ship to make it look like the model ship for the scene.

It's still under construction in my prop master's house. He will be adding the lights soon. I instructed him to hold onto it at all times and not to lose control of possession of it. He left the original model in the hands of a crew member who never returned it. So, I want him to have this new one with him and only him at all times.

The bigger the prop or model, the bigger the cost to build.

I had a guy who is a wishful thinker who was saying he wanted to build a 1:1 scale modle for me. He never got around to it. Also, the larger the model, the harder it is to transport it to a shooting location. Where are you going to put it with the rest of your equipment?

I also rightfully discouraged the guy who wanted to build a 1:1 model telling him when you live in a big city, space is a premium in cost. There is no place to store big models like that. Where are you going to put it after the shoot?

Making more than one model in more than one size costs money too.

Think of your budget and your ability to store the model after the shoot.

The bigger the prop or model, the bigger the cost to build.

I had a guy who is a wishful thinker who was saying he wanted to build a 1:1 scale modle for me. He never got around to it. Also, the larger the model, the harder it is to transport it to a shooting location. Where are you going to put it with the rest of your equipment?

In terms of transportation cost, the difference between a 10-inch model and a 4-foot model shouldn't be that great. It can be stored in a warehouse along with the other props, and, again, the difference in storage space shouldn't be that great.

Back