• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I'm having trouble writing my script

ok, so I have the first two scenes planned out exactly, every shot thought out etc. I know exactly what my characters are going to be like personality wise. Except, here's the problem. I don't actually know what to do now. I can't think of an actual story, just certain scenes I have in my head. Any tips?

I know I'm being a bit vague, I'd just rather keep my idea secret haha.

So the lead of your story is a selective mute boy. Start there. Who is he? Where does he live? Where does he work? Where does he play? Introduce us to him and what he wants. Show us his world. Is his goal to meet a girl? Or does this girl just happen to come along while he's struggling with his main goal of the story? Clearly establish his world, his goal, the theme of your story. Then turn his world upside down. Goal, obstacles, complications, drama.

That should get you through at least 50 pages.

Some of us can, some of us cannot. When it comes to writing - either stories, lyrics, etc. - I'm one of those who cannot. I've always been a supporting role type. I was a musical director for bands, eventually ending up in the Apollo Theatre, Carnagie Hall and similar venues as well as doing arranging and recording sessions. When I retired from touring I became a music recording engineer and now do sound design. The preamble is just to give you context. I am not an original creator, but I have worked with dozens of extremely talented people and watched them go through creative constipation. My job in my various support roles was to help them when that occurred.

While touring you spend many hours is trains, planes and automobiles (sorry, I couldn't resist:)) and many more waiting to get on stage. If you don't party there isn't much else to do but read. I read lots of the "looking for inspiration" type books and dozens of novels in addition to all of the tech stuff. The advice most often given is to get out of the rut. Make radical changes; as a musical director it was changing keys, tempos and/or arrangements. In the studio it was change the approach; the things I did as a musical director and sometimes do really strange, stupid or comical things - like using pitch change to turn the singer into a Muchkin or Darth Vader, having them lay on the floor to sing, putting weird effects on an instrument, taking the hi-hat away from the drummer, removing a string from a guitar... You get the idea.

As a reader one of my favorites is Orson Scott Card. In one of his short story books one of his writers block exercises was included. He would pick dozens of random names from the phone book, write a brief life history of each, and then pull a few from the pile and try to figure out how they would interact.

As a sound designer I spend quite a bit of time listening. I'll sit in the train station, a diner, on a park bench and lots of other places and listen to people talk. It's an exercise to improve my dialog editing. In those and other places I listen to footsteps, cars passing, construction sites, wind in the trees, waves on the beach, kids on a playground or in school, sporting events, factories, malls, etc. as an exercise for Foley, sound FX and ambience editing and mixing.

As strange as it may sound I even got some inspiration from my dad - a dark suit, white shirt, button-down-collar guy who worked for IBM in various financial divisions for 35 years. When they were brainstorming they were encouraged to consider options that were way out in left field including immoral, unethical and illegal solutions. They most definitely did not implement any of those ideas, but concept was the same; get out of the safe and familiar and look for inspiration in unlikely places

A trap that I and many other creative people fall into is the "forest for the trees" syndrome (that's why I like it when others mix my work while I fly second chair). You get too close to your work and have a hard time being objective. You have to pull away for a while and come back with a fresh perspective. So you may want to try a few of my exercises; go out and eavesdrop on conversations, watch people interact in the real world, have your characters do really odd/unrelated things that have no bearing upon your story whatsoever.

So don't take it so seriously; get out there and get crazy, get stupid, get playful, get weird - and have fun!

Last edited:
Nice advice in your thoughts Alcove.

EDIT: Good to see you back around VP, been a few since I've seen a post from you.

-Thanks-

Thanks, Buddy. Took a hiatus to get my head wrapped around life. At 42, I'm starting to go through that mid-life stage where I'm evaluating everything I've done (and haven't done) and trying to decide the next chapter of my life. I've been staring at the same 3x5 cards unchanged on my bulletin board for the last six months. And that's a project I pitched almost two years ago now. Getting back in here and seeing other struggling writers is reassurance that I am not alone. And perhaps my words of encouragement to others are just as important to encourage myself.

Interesting parallels here lately. My cyborg script's love interest was also a cyborg, and her name was Angela. Except the core of that story involved development of super humans under the guise of prosthesis research and development. Angela, the daughter of my antagonist, was the first successful human subject after being horribly injured in a car accident. The central theme was "it's what on the inside that counts", and this was her internal struggle, knowing what she was but not wanting to admit her imperfections to my protagonist, a homicide detective. All the while he's struggling to bring an end the illegal activities of my antagonist and his band of cyborg outlaws. This becomes increasingly difficult once he discovers that killing the organic side, the side that's still capable of human reasoning, results in dramatically explosive self termination, taking everyone and everything with it.

The philosophy of my antagonist was, "The only perfect human is a melding of man and machine." So I threw in a technophobic protagonist.

So, LessThanThreeLeo, that's what you need. Write a one paragraph synopsis that reveals the central theme, the core complications, and the goals. Spice it with some contrasting characters. Provide a worthy adversary to your protagonist. You already have your protagonist and your love interest. Now decide what the central struggle is about. Man against nature? Man against man? What does he want and what (or who) prevents him from getting it? What does she want and what prevents her from getting it?

Last edited:
ok, so I have the first two scenes planned out exactly, every shot thought out etc. I know exactly what my characters are going to be like personality wise. Except, here's the problem. I don't actually know what to do now. I can't think of an actual story, just certain scenes I have in my head. Any tips?

Throw all manner of dramatic problems and obstacles at your protagonist (situations that can allow for the already existing scenes) and then let your character dig his or her way out. Just make sure your ideas are believable (or rather, the kind of ideas that will let your audience entertain plausibility) exciting and not the sort that will have your audience saying "oh, that scene was from the movie..." you should be okay following this strategy.

Good Luck

ok, I've been doing some thinking, how about this:

A selective mute discovers a secret group of other mute people. He becomes part of the group. They work on some type of project together. Then he does something to piss one of them off, and he makes the rest of the group hate the mute. This mirrors how he lost all his previous friends - which made him become a mute in the first place. He looses all hope and decides to kill himself, but just before he does he meets a deaf girl, she challenges him about being a mute, about squandering his ability to talk with people - which she can't do. She convinces him to stop being a mute.

What do you think? =)

theirs some emotional content there.. keep with it..

break it down even further..the whole mute, deaf, groups etc thing is really just setting.. not story TRUTH. (capital T truth..)

the drama is really about a man who is lost and finds love. To win and keep that love he must reject his previous world view and chose a brighter path.

Now cast that drama in a conflicted (war like?) setting of "mutes by choice" vs "mutes by physiology" and you have something ...

ok, I've been doing some thinking, how about this:

A selective mute discovers a secret group of other mute people. He becomes part of the group. They work on some type of project together. Then he does something to piss one of them off, and he makes the rest of the group hate the mute. This mirrors how he lost all his previous friends - which made him become a mute in the first place. He looses all hope and decides to kill himself, but just before he does he meets a deaf girl, she challenges him about being a mute, about squandering his ability to talk with people - which she can't do. She convinces him to stop being a mute.

What do you think? =)

Nice Story idea by the way, I like it.

Okay, well you'll have to think about the reasons why he became a selective mute, how deep the problem is and then decide how the girl is going to convince him out of it, maybe the obstacles can be set up within the journey of him making the leap into speech. This can be the 'handle' for creating a character arc for your script. Than through the course the guy comes to the decision to speak and at the end of the script he speaks.

Hmm, would you create a back story by setting up scenes from the past initiated by something that happens during the course of your story (like a kind of associated memory right?), or have a character in a scene talk about the selective mutes past. Whatever way you can set it up with a smooth script flow, like you don't want to wreck the rhythm of your story, use the way that feels right for the piece.

Same issue kind of. Well this is what I do and I know some other filmmakers who do the same: just write down the scenarios in your head in a little memo notepad and have them archived so you can keep those scenarios. They could be very useful.

Oh yeah and call that memo note pad your filmmaking idea book and make it small enough to take anywhere! That way no matter where you are, as soon as you have an idea jot it down!

Hope I helped! :)

Well, I'm sorry, but I must be a bit slow. I couldn't help the person on the other thread with a logline either.

But I've always found that it helps to know how the story ends. I personally, but not everyone seems to agree to that approach, and I think if it's a short, then write it however you want.

Anyway, I can't hang around, good luck with it all, don't forget to occasionally allude to the current mass extinction in your themes sweeties. Nothing else really means anything. I mean, no one really wants to think of a future on a barren rock, with everyone living in oxygen bubbles drinking recycled toilet water.

Not an easy time to be a writer.

:no:

Okay, you have 2 scenes for your characters.

Is there a genre for your scenes?

Are there any TV shows, movies, or novels with similar scenes you may want to check out for inspiration?

I have Syd Field's screenplay structure class on DVD and took classes with him in Los Angeles. I find all his stuff worthwhile.

I also took a class with Blake Snyder. His stuff is good too.

If you need story emerse yourself in story. Watch movies and read books and it wiill come to you.

Don't be so negative Darling

Well, I'm sorry, but I must be a bit slow. I couldn't help the person on the other thread with a logline either.

But I've always found that it helps to know how the story ends. I personally, but not everyone seems to agree to that approach, and I think if it's a short, then write it however you want.

Anyway, I can't hang around, good luck with it all, don't forget to occasionally allude to the current mass extinction in your themes sweeties. Nothing else really means anything. I mean, no one really wants to think of a future on a barren rock, with everyone living in oxygen bubbles drinking recycled toilet water.

Not an easy time to be a writer.

:no:

Don't be so negative Darling, good things don't happen without good thoughts. The internet is a way to connect minds, there are good things happening all over the world due to shared concerns and awareness. If you feel pain over the potential doom we could face over climate change look to inform people and search for solutions to share with others, what can we all do? What should we stop doing to help save each other and the future? Negativity on it's own never solved any problems but sharing solutions we have saves time and worry so that our scientists and other brilliant minds can find new solutions for our other problems.

Your suffering is a sign that deep down inside you must be a wonderful person so try to be constructive about it not destructive. I love that part in Lord of the Rings, did you see it? Before they went to battle with Suramon and the orc army, Gandalf said something like this to Pippin who was scared out of his mind, "It's up to us what we choose to do with the time we've been given". We need to band together and help each other, try to do what we can to save our world.

Once upon a time there were no cures for any of our diseases, but now there is, once upon a time there was no bio-diesel, but now there is, once upon a time scientist had to figure out solutions on their own and communication between family and friends took months and sometimes years, but now we have internet. Just as many good things are possible as bad things we just have to fight our fears and share our solutions and ideas and our compassion.

Fill in the blanks...

A lot of times it's difficult to come up with a story because you don't really know what SHOULD come next. That's where SOME KIND OF STRUCTURE comes in. I won't tell you to follow a specific kind of structure... There are some good ones out there -- easy to find.

Find one.

Once you find one -- fill in the blanks with a rough outline. Don't worry about being locked into it -- it's just a simple way to GET GOING.

As someone else said in this thread... KNOW YOUR CHARACTERS. You have to know them as well if not better than people you know in real life. Throw something at them and see what they do. It doesn't even have to be part of the story -- just see how they react to the same things you are reacting to day in and day out.

Don't give up... Don't lock yourself into anything either.

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
Know your characters will help with a lot of story.

But, for direction, let's also consider Sol Stein's Writepro philosophy.

Ask yourself who is your hero and who is your villain.

What does your hero want?

What does your villain do to stop your hero from achieving their goal?

Can you put this information into a sentence?

Can you build the sentence into a paragraph detailing obsticles that the villain can put in the way of your hero? What will be the resolution to this conflict?

Back