I'm 17 and just wrapped my first feature

Hey thanks for all the feedback. As mentioned the color isnt graded and it isnt mixed yet.
"There was a part where one of the female characters spoke in the car and it completely cut off." I think that might be a glitch on your end it doesnt cut off.
Had loads of fun with the copter. :) I was trying to give the image of us kids coming from all different backgrounds and establishing Idaho-Blue football field. Yeah he isnt lit in that scene climbing out of bed. Im the skinhead and we adlibbed there. We shot the walking in the classroom a few days before so I had to somehow get my shirt off. There is noway they would let me walk around a a school without my shirt on. So that is why that scene played out as it did. I was trying to establish I like my shirt off working on the truck. In hindsight after your feedback I could have had the cop tell me to put the shirt on to shorten the secretary scene. " It was miles better than I thought it'd be." Well that is something I guess. :) Thank you so much for the feedback. I do appreciate it. I will respond to the others a little bit later.

When you say the audio is awful. Can you tell without being mixed. I am/was really happy with the audio. Now not so much. The technical is stuff is not my strong suit. Getting things done instead of talking about it are.

For the opening scenes with names. I guess my thought is that is what is done and why should I have to take a back seat just because we are not named actors. Plus now if one of the five of us make it it will look good. What I'm saying is I'm trying to act like the big boys/girls.

I can see how the overhead shots look random. I said earlier I was just trying to point out different neighborhoods. I guess that wasnt clear.

With all that being said, my next feature this summer will be totally different. I just learned so much doing this. I would have done things so differently.

It's also weird to think but working 10-12 hour days I always seemed rush too.

Thanks for looking and thanks for making me think about many of those shots. I really appreciate it. * I have been accepted to 3 fests so far. Waiting to hear on others.

Can you tell without being mixed.

Yep you can. Someone who's involved with post audio will be able to tell you more.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the differences between the feeling in your aerial shots and your ground shots.

As the director, are you happy with the pacing of the film?

I have been accepted to 3 fests so far. Waiting to hear on others.

Grats on being accepted.

The aerial shots have a higher production value feel. In comparison, your ground shots have a clumsy, low production value feel. That's just the way that I'm seeing it.

You know when you see short films have a really kick ass intro that looks super slick, and then it transitions into a really full blown amateur production value look. As an audience member, my expectations rise and then there's a complete fall off.

That contrast of production value makes the lower end of the spectrum stand out where if you didn't have it, it wouldn't be as noticeable. Well... that's just my opinion. Think of it like, "See..... We can give you a great experience... but.... only some of the time."

Whether you agree (or even do anything with it) is up to you. I actually see it as one of the smaller issues, though I'm sure you're already aware of them and have since learned from them. (Assuming that's the actual first 8 minutes)

I'm sure others won't see it as a problem, so who knows... You might be golden.

Wow, that's crazy. We shot the ground shots with a much better camera. I like the pace of aerial/ground.

I know no one sees a lot of the movie yet but I have received some feed back on acting. Some are stronger than others. Could you guys rate the acting in order of strength for me? Or maybe who you liked but more importantly who you felt was weaker. Of course I'm opening myself up but who cares. Doing this movie is exposing me.

17 years old made a feature film.
Many of your age (and even higher) may be jealous.
I'm not an expert, but I think you SHOULD mention your age when marketing. It makes you stand out from many other filmmakers.

Reading the name of this thread I was already intrigued and I've followed the link to see the film right away. You see? It works! DON'T hide your age!

Yes, it's not the film, but the fact that you're 17 that made a film makes you known. But do you care? This is marketing. This is how many celebs get famous.

P.S.
Oh and The Breakfast Club is one of the best movies I've ever seen, so I loved your idea to remake it, adapt to the modern days.

Last edited:
Yeah, Since we are getting close to the finish line I am sending out press releases World Wide. Thank you for letting me know 17 is a good hook. In late March when i turn 18 no one will really care. Plus I will have been in two fests by the time im 18.

Thanks for following along. The back end (my weakness) of the movie editing etc. is way harder than organizing/casting/convincing people need to be in my film.

It has gotten a lot of views in 3 days. That may be the reason. And no I dont care why they look. But maybe I'll keep this thread alive for a year to show if anything comes up because this.

Last edited:
Wow, that's crazy. We shot the ground shots with a much better camera.

I love it "Wow, that's crazy" ;) Most of the time, the production value has little to do with the quality of the camera.

I like the pace of aerial/ground.

Ok. Since you're happy with the pacing, there's no point in discussing the editing.

I know no one sees a lot of the movie yet but I have received some feed back on acting. Some are stronger than others. Could you guys rate the acting in order of strength for me? Or maybe who you liked but more importantly who you felt was weaker.

The weak acting and the character introduction/development were part of what I assumed you're already aware of. There's very little you can do about this unless you're open to reshoots.

Of course I'm opening myself up but who cares.

Of course we do care. It's the same as it is for acting.

Remember one other thing: No one knows nothing. If you think it's right for your style to make a decision, go for it. As a director, its your vision. Though, if you saw a different movie in your head than the final result......

I think you SHOULD mention your age when marketing.

Consider this long and hard. It may be the right move, it may be the wrong move. I really don't know and it's something you'll have to answer yourself. How will your target audience react to this information? Will it make them more inclined to see your film or less? If the answer is more, use it, otherwise, don't.

Doing this movie is exposing me.

That's exactly what you want. Congrats. I hope it works out great for you and leads to bigger and better projects.

Thank you for letting me know 17 is a good hook. In late March when i turn 18 no one will really care.

WHAT?!
How many ppl you know make feature films at their 18?
17,18,21... It's still the same. Even 25.
If you were 30+ to make your first feature, no one would care.

Besides, it doesn't matter that you turn 18 or even 19. The hook is that you "wrapped your first feature at 17".

Put it into a perspective. Without looking it up, what's the age of your ten favorite directors? Now look it up. Did you get it right? Did you care?

It may be different for you. It may be different for your audience.

I'm a big proponent of selling your age.

As an audience member, if I spot a mistake or an error, I'll say to myself "Oh... but he's just 17" and I'll forgive everything a filmmaker might not. So I'd definitely sell the age angle.

Thank you. The age will be pushed. It is the hook. Looks as though I'm not going to my world premiere in Austin. That sucks. I am going the following week in Victoria Texas. I'm going to pay close attention on what people say. If they end sentences with "for 17" that may be the backhanded (is that what they call that) compliment. "Your movie was really good.....for 17." Oh well, It will be fun to show it outside of my little circle.

Is there a way to set this site up so if someone replys to this thread I get the email?

How did the distribution go? The distribution company said that they wanted a named actor in the movie, but now that you got one and the movie is finished, is it going well?

How did you afford this production? I am also 17 and have a job yet have little money. Perhaps if I worked 8 hour shifts on school days... :/ That would suck.

I am also 17 and I'm curious how much camera rentals are/ how much you set aside for actors. Also, how did you manage to get that police car in the opening? Also, did you license the song in the opening credits?

Hey man congrats on the film. Had a few questions. 1) Did you clear the ford truck? If not how is that going down with the distributors? 2) What was your setup with sound? Boom only? 3) Others have asked but how much of budget was allocated for actors?

I am about to set out on a similar adventure, 25 days, 22 grand.

M

Back