If you have to choose only one film

As for keeping one film if all films are deleted? My answer changes daily. Today I think it's Coppola's The Conversation.

I've seen this film three times... to find out why it's so good... Gene Hackman's ark is beautiful and all, but tell me why did you like the movie so much?

Why is it so important for you in particular... I know why It's important for me... :)

My earliest memory in life is from when I was five years old. I remember riding on the back of my mom's bike, as she took me to drop me off at daycare, so that she could go to school. Good times.

However, I also have a very distinct memory of seeing Luke blow up the Death Star. I was 2 years old, when "Star Wars" was released! Think about that.

My dog's name is Boba, and my production company logo is intended to pay homage to the opening shot of "Star Wars". So, yeah, the movie holds a special place in my heart.

But isn't that pretty much true for damn-near everyone on this forum?! Well, that's not fair, actually; I should clarify. Isn't that pretty much true for damn-near everyone on this forum (who is at least 30-years old)?

For modern movies and franchises, like "Potter" and "Pirates", and even "Avatar", they've earned a pretty loyal following. But none of them compare, even slightly, to "Star Wars", when you take a look at how the general public reacted to it, and what kind of die-hard fans it created. I don't know what the rest of the world was like, but in America, "Star Wars" rocked our world, like no other film in the modern era.

Modern cinema was completely re-shaped, for better or worse, because of the public (and box office) reaction to "Star Wars". Its influence is HUGE, and lasting. It's also the most recognizable modern fable, the world over. Even people who haven't seen it can easily recognize Darth Vader and "The Imperial March".

So, why do I think it's important? Because it is! :)

My earliest memory in life is from when I was five years old. I remember riding on the back of my mom's bike, as she took me to drop me off at daycare, so that she could go to school. Good times.

However, I also have a very distinct memory of seeing Luke blow up the Death Star. I was 2 years old, when "Star Wars" was released! Think about that.

My dog's name is Boba, and my production company logo is intended to pay homage to the opening shot of "Star Wars". So, yeah, the movie holds a special place in my heart.

But isn't that pretty much true for damn-near everyone on this forum?! Well, that's not fair, actually; I should clarify. Isn't that pretty much true for damn-near everyone on this forum (who is at least 30-years old)?

For modern movies and franchises, like "Potter" and "Pirates", and even "Avatar", they've earned a pretty loyal following. But none of them compare, even slightly, to "Star Wars", when you take a look at how the general public reacted to it, and what kind of die-hard fans it created. I don't know what the rest of the world was like, but in America, "Star Wars" rocked our world, like no other film in the modern era.

Modern cinema was completely re-shaped, for better or worse, because of the public (and box office) reaction to "Star Wars". Its influence is HUGE, and lasting. It's also the most recognizable modern fable, the world over. Even people who haven't seen it can easily recognize Darth Vader and "The Imperial March".

So, why do I think it's important? Because it is! :)

I was a child too, when I first saw Star Wars... I was a really happy child in Bulgaria, a country, ruled by the communist regime (After Churchill agreed with Stalin: Bulgaria (and Romania) should go under Stalin's rule, if he (Churchill) can keep Greece and Serbia)... Who cares, Star Wars makes us think of greater things than the real thing the thing.... :rolleyes:

Right there with you, Cracker, as far as star wars go. My first pet was named Princess Leia (I was 3). I was born the year Star Wars came out, but I remember seeing it at my uncle's house; he had it on super 8. For YEARS I doubted that memory, before learning that it was released on Super 8. We also, on that same visit, watched the christmas special and for many, many years wondered why I thought that star wars had something to do with chewbacca's family.

Yeah, Star Wars shaped our generation, to be sure!

"Star Wars" was made in a different era. It broke ground in CGI, editing and sound design. The films you mentioned, in fact the entire modern film industry, is what it is because of "Star Wars", so it's not really a fair comparison.

Just a few technological, musical and film highlights from 1977:

The world's first personal computer, the Commodore PET, is demonstrated at the Consumer Electronics Show in Chicago.

Apple Computer Inc. is incorporated.

Record company EMI sacks the controversial United Kingdom punk rock group the Sex Pistols in January. Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols is released in October.

Fleetwood Mac's album Rumours is released.

The Clash's debut album The Clash is released.

The first Apple II series computers go on sale.

The Supremes perform their final concert together.

Elvis Presley performs his last-ever concert, in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Led Zeppelin plays their last U.S. concert in Oakland, CA.

The Tandy Corporation TRS-80 Model I computer is announced at a press conference.

Elvis Presley dies in his home in Graceland at age 42.

The Commodore PET computer is first sold.

The Atari 2600 game system is released.

The Bee Gees release the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever.

The Rankin/Bass made-for-TV animated film "The Hobbit" premieres on NBC in the United States.

The Nickelodeon Television Channel, a children's cartoon channel, launches as The Pinwheel Network.

The first ever Quadraphonic concert in London by Pink Floyd.

The TV Mini Series "Roots" is aired .

How Much things cost in 1977
Yearly Inflation Rate USA - 6.5%
Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average - 831
Interest Rates Year End Federal Reserve - 7.75%
Average Cost of new house - $49,300.00
Average Income per year - $15,000.00
Average Monthly Rent - $240.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas - 65 cents

Popular Films
Star Wars Episode IV
Rocky
Smokey and the Bandit
A Star Is Born
Saturday Night Fever
King Kong
The Deep
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Annie Hall

If I was on a desert island and the only thing I had in my possession was a playback device and a movie recording of some type then I would want that movie to be something to educate me about life on a desert island.

My first thought, therefore, would be Cast Away. On further reflection, though, the concept of having to watch that movie a second time is worse than dying of starvation and dehydration, so I'd probably go Blue Lagoon. Can I have a young Brooke Shields as well?

The Day The Earth Stood Still. (The Original from the 1950s)

Also, Terminator 2: Judgement Day

They both say a lot about the value of life and the struggle of humanity to overcome a violent nature that too many people have.

When John Connor watched children in a playground playing with toy guns, he asked his cyborg protector, "We're not going to make it--are we?" The cyborg replied, "It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." How true?

Back