If you have to choose only one film

... to take with you on a desert island, or to lock in a time capsule (or to send it to Space for aliens to watch :))..
Which one would you choose?

Amélie.
young_amelie-movie-still.jpg

Probably not something that exemplifies our xenophobic tendencies, like... Aliens or ID4.

... to take with you on a desert island, or to lock in a time capsule (or to send it to Space for aliens to watch :))..
Which one would you choose?

Taking with me to desert island -- "Cast Away", to use as instruction manual.
Locking in time capsule -- "Star Wars", because in my honest opinion, it is the single most influential work of art for our modern era.
Sending into space, for aliens to watch -- "Independence Day", as a warning!

Taking with me to desert island -- "Cast Away", to use as instruction manual.
Locking in time capsule -- "Star Wars", because in my honest opinion, it is the single most influential work of art for our modern era.
Sending into space, for aliens to watch -- "Independence Day", as a warning!

You're right, film buffs can never choose only one film...

What's wrong with Shogun? Are we thinking of the same film? How long is the film you are thinking of?

The IMDB info is wrong for this. The real, uncut version is over 11 hours long. It is not a tv series, but rather one continuous film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080274/

it won 8 awards and has a 4 star rating on many film sites.

I've seen it on TV. When I was a child it was a big thing, not so sure now, but if you insist :lol:

They can't make a movie or write a book long enough for me. I'd watch a 22 hour movie if anyone could fund one. (actually Red Cliff was pretty good, funded by the chinese gov.)

They don't really make miniseries anymore. The Battlestar galactica launch movie at 4 hours was pretty good. Some of the new Terry Pratchet stuff works. I think theatrical audiences can't stay awake that long, and television has moved on from James Clavell and Herman Wouk to Snookie.:(

I'd love to see a miniseries of "As the Crow Flies"

I hear "Atlas Shrugged" is going to be a disaster.

Not sure but for the desert island I'd probably take Annie Hall.

It would be such a depressing experience (being on a desert island alone) that I couldn't handle anything but a comedy.

So I'd choose my favourite comedy, Annie Hall.

Amelie comes in a close second, but the one film I've never gotten sick of no matter how many times I've watched (in a row!) is Legend.

They don't really make miniseries anymore.

They do in Britain, and quite well. Check out Mad Dogs and Luther for two recent stellar examples.

As for keeping one film if all films are deleted? My answer changes daily. Today I think it's Coppola's The Conversation.

When I was in 7th grade, growing up in Bangladesh, my dad bought us a vcr. We had no videos to watch. We'd rent one occasionally, but it cost money. In eighth grade, one of my buddies left for the States. He left me his copy of "First Blood." At the time, there was only one tv channel in Bangladesh and watchable programming wouldn't start before 8pm. I would come home everyday from school at 2:30pm, and while i had lunch I would put that copy of First Blood into the vcr and watch, EVERY DAY. I watched that movie probably two years straight, EVERY DAY. Even now, some 22, 23, 24 years later ( Edit: I think it was 20 years ago, I don't think I"m that old) , when I watch it, I can't grow tired of it.

So First Blood for me.

Last edited:
Back