I want to work with other people

Hello,
I’ve posted a few things before, but I’d like to make a serious effort to reach out to other budding filmmakers who are struggling to get off the ground and to make something happen.

I do have movie plans of my own (such as they are), but I am willing to put my projects on hold in order to help someone else on theirs to the best of my ability.

Cons: I am not a real artist, I never went to film school, and I suck at writing a script. I have no real filmmaking experience.

Pros: I have a business degree, I’m goal oriented, and I work well with others. I’m a good communicator and I’m punctual. I may not be a sound guy or a camera guy, but I can take orders.

I have done a really crappy video for a homework assignment before and I know how much it sucks to need help and to not (really) get it. I know how important it is to do whatever it takes to get a shot “perfect” and how hard it is to do it by yourself or to beg apathetic siblings to hold a camera for you while you try to make your movie. I know filmmaking is hard, but its the only thing I want to do and its all Ive been thinking about for the past six years while I was in college. I have watched some Youtube channels like Film Riot and D4Darius and I grow ever more eager to learn all I can, but I want to do things more hands on. I know all these You-tubers say “just grab a camera and film something” but I don’t want to make a bunch of crappy uninteresting videos of myself using an iPod and a tripod only to spend hours editing and wind up with something too embarrassing to share with the world. I have a job, I’m saving my money, and I have a small collection of action camera (knockoff GoPros), but I dont have anyone who shares my passion or anyone who is even patient enough to hold a camera for more than 5 minutes, let alone act.

Long story short; I need more people if I am going to make my movie and they need to want to be there and have some understanding of what is involved. BUT, I realize other people may be in this situation as well, so I will offer to help someone else with their project(s) in the hopes of learning something new, making new connections and (maybe) getting some help in return (in one form or another).

I cant really travel far, I live North of Atlanta but I’m willing to connect with other filmmakers any way I can.

I know all these You-tubers say “just grab a camera and film something” but I don’t want to make a bunch of crappy uninteresting videos of myself using an iPod and a tripod only to spend hours editing and wind up with something too embarrassing to share with the world.
They can be for you only as well! Not all films need an audience. Some are tests. Just as a painter has plenty of works in the attic. ;)

They can be for you only as well! Not all films need an audience. Some are tests. Just as a painter has plenty of works in the attic. ;)
Thanks for the quick reply.
I have a few practice videos that Ill probably never finish. I have learned from some of my mistakes, and Ill probably keep making little practice videos, but I’d really like to work with someone else who could teach me a lot about filmmaking. I feel like I would get more done if there was another person sharing ideas and pushing me to complete a video rather than reshooting and editing the same crucial scene 5 times and still hating it, until I ultimately give up and start another project. But Id still be happy just to help someone else out and feel like I was able to accomplish something and see a project get finished, even if its not mine.

Being near Atlanta you can surely find some PA or intern work I would think. You can even find acting work as an extra. Don't act? Don't worry. What this does is at least put you on set to network and see how a film set works. And extras just do things like sit, read, walk by... etc. :)

Hello again.
You make very good points and I have considered that. I joined a couple Facebook groups and have read articles/watched videos about becoming a production assistant. I didnt mind the idea of being a PA a few months ago, but I now have a full-time job and a part-time job (with flexible hours). I can only really do film-related stuff for maybe a couple hours after work each weekday and on SOME weekends (I can pick the weekends though). A PA seems like a full-ish time job and I dont know if I want to leave my full time job for a PA position. I’m hoping to find a way to do film stuff just on Saturdays, Sundays and maybe after work on Fridays (otherwise I can’t stay up past 10:00PM).
I guess that means Im looking for something less structured than an actual film job, but maybe some weekend-only film jobs exist.

I might sound a little frustrated right now, but I am saving up money for my film projects. Im also restoring a couple cars that I want to be used in my movie/series. So things are going pretty good for me, but Id still like to do just a little filmmaking with someone.

Be proactive and start a weekend filmmaking group. Network on FB. When you have 4 people decide to meet at a place like Starbucks where they let you hang out and there's food and drink. Keep the group going and get more people to where you know each other and can meet at someone's house. Name your prod. co., start filming, YT it, etc.

Hey,
I haven’t met any other filmmakers yet, due to certain circumstances, but I have joined a handful of Facebook groups and made a few friends. I can’t wait to help other people on their projects, but I cant really do that right now. I tried working on my project but I keep hitting roadblocks and getting discouraged. I think I really need someone to bounce ideas off of, because I will start to write a script (not in the appropriate format) and I’ll slap together some dialogue that propels the plot forward for like 3 hours, then I read it a couple days later and realize its all rubbish. I got a good concept and story, but writing dialogue like the way real people talk is very hard for me. This is especially difficult because one of the characters is hiding something from the other and I can’t make the conversations between the two sound realistic.
I would really like to talk to someone who knows how to write a story and get feedback.
I dont have a lot of free time, so throwing out almost everything I write every weekend is kind of sucking the energy out of me. Also spending 3 hours camera shopping and being too scared to commit to a purchase doesn't help. I bought car parts instead, that helped a little. So my weekend isn't totally a wasted effort.
Any advice helps, but I’m starting to get information overload by just reading blogs and watching how-to videos. A 2-way conversation would be awesome.
-Rick

I haven’t met any other filmmakers yet, due to certain circumstances, but I have joined a handful of Facebook groups and made a few friends. I can’t wait to help other people on their projects, but I cant really do that right now.

Timing’s everything. Unfortunately, there’s just not a whole lot going on. Those of us who make a living doing this have pretty much been in a production shutdown. My last paid production days were in early March. I don’t see much on the horizon right now.

I tried working on my project but I keep hitting roadblocks and getting discouraged. I think I really need someone to bounce ideas off of, because I will start to write a script (not in the appropriate format) and I’ll slap together some dialogue that propels the plot forward for like 3 hours, then I read it a couple days later and realize its all rubbish. I got a good concept and story, but writing dialogue like the way real people talk is very hard for me.

I dont have a lot of free time, so throwing out almost everything I write every weekend is kind of sucking the energy out of me.

Don’t worry so much about format yet, and don’t throw out what you write each weekend. Even if the dialog doesn’t sound natural, but the idea of what they‘re saying propels the story, then you have a great sketchpad, right? A lot of writers start with way too much and then trim it down to essentials. The dialog may not be worded the way they want it. That’s what revisions are for, but if you have the heart of the conversation down then it’s just a matter of rewording the dialog.

The other thing that would be very helpful if you haven’t already: a complete outline of your story. Get all your plot points laid out. Include all the twists and turns. You say you‘ll sit down and write dialog that moves the story forward. Have you already outlined it? Do you already know where it’s going? If not, you should.

Also spending 3 hours camera shopping and being too scared to commit to a purchase doesn't help. I bought car parts instead, that helped a little. So my weekend isn't totally a wasted effort.
Any advice helps, but I’m starting to get information overload by just reading blogs and watching how-to videos.

Not sure what your situation is during all the shutdowns, though I know Georgia is reopening, but right now may not be the time to spend money on gear. Once circumstances change and the opportunity arises, get work on other people’s sets. For your own, as a writer (are you wanting to direct, too?), find someone who owns a camera to shoot it.

Last edited:
I'm interested in collaborating with some new people, and my project lends itself well to remote collaboration. I'm kind of interviewing various people at this point, so if you'd like to start a dialogue, feel free to contact me. It's a project developed specifically to allow a lot of beginner filmmakers to learn as they work.

I'm interested in collaborating with some new people, and my project lends itself well to remote collaboration. I'm kind of interviewing various people at this point, so if you'd like to start a dialogue, feel free to contact me. It's a project developed specifically to allow a lot of beginner filmmakers to learn as they work.
Im interested.
What’s the best way to reach you?

Hi, Rick!

Tell me about making films without help... most of my projects are 90% made all by myself, hahaha. But hey, that's why we're all here, right?

I'd definitely love to see some of your work!

Hi, Rick!

Tell me about making films without help... most of my projects are 90% made all by myself, hahaha. But hey, that's why we're all here, right?

I'd definitely love to see some of your work!
Sadly I have no videos to share (except for my English class project, but its terrible).

Ive got a lot of story concepts Im thinking of turning into novels, but I have one series I desperately want to turn into a television-style Youtube series (the one I keep bringing up). While Ive reached out and met a few people, I dont know if Id be able to film my idea in its entirety. Im thinking of writing my whole story out and filming SOME of my series. Then people could watch some Youtube clips, get hooked and read the books if they want and/or some people can discover the books then appreciate the Youtube clips.
Such as it is, Id still be happy to exchange ideas and collaborate with other people.

Last edited:
Back